Nicolás Gaitán #10

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Nicolás Gaitán #20

Postby thelines » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:23 pm

Hello all,

Forum member matt34nj kindly contributed an article on Gaitan. Here is a link to the published article: http://www.stretfordendarising.com/2012 ... co-gaitan/

Thank you :)
thelines
Mascot

Re: Questions on Gaitan

Postby thelines » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:26 pm

1904 wrote:Please, feel free to give your opinions here or get in touch with Andrew. This is also your forum Mdot! :)

Andrew, if you want a view from PB users just post your questions and Im sure many will give their opinions.

--------------------

I hope he doesn't leave in January as we are still in the Champions League and have a good chance ot make it to the next round given our season so far.

Personally, I would like to see Salvio back in Benfica but don't see it happening until Gaitán leaves.

Good player with lots of potential, now the question is does he feel he can fulfill his potential in Benfica? Not sure if he wants to. Can be a bit lazy at tracking back in the second half when he is getting tired (and happens wuite often) but in the beginning of the game he is usually very energetic.

Im sure there there are tons of youtube videos of him and you will see some flash of genius in him but needs to be more consistent as a player.

Thank you, 1904.
thelines
Mascot

Postby MichaelSLB » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:25 am

Why was Gaitan not selected in the squad for the game against Guimaraes??? Is there something wrong?
MichaelSLB
First Team

Postby inMotionSLB » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:39 pm

Probably giving a rest, you know how Gaitán takes a year to come back to full fitness <_<
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Forcaslb29 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:55 am

Great piece of writing Matt...but in my opinion, Nico's like David Luiz for me...a bit overated...I know I might be alone on this one...but he hasnt convinced me yet. Hope he proves me wrong, and dont get me wrong, he has some great flashes, but he doesnt take over or control a game. Comes no where close to Di Maria or Coentrao for me.
Forcaslb29
First Team

Postby Mdot » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:46 pm

I don’t want to say that Nico or Di Maria are under rated or overrated. What I do feel is that they are replaceable. If we sell Nico, I say we can Savlio which I feel would easily fill his shoes.

I would say Fabio is one of the few players we cannot replace. A Portuguese youth that can play in so many parts of the field and has an insane amount of stamina. I still feel our LB position is the weakest and filling that void Fabio left will be extremely hard. If anything, playing with 2 defensive mids (Javi/Witsel) is one way of filling the gap in having weaker replacement for him.

As for Nico, I don’t feel or see anywhere close to the transfer hype there has been for our past big sells. I can’t see it happening in the winter window but it wouldn’t shock me to see it in the summer.
Mdot

Postby matt34nj » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:39 pm

Thanks for the compliment. I think that Nico is over-rated a bit myself. I dont think he will fit into the Manchester lineup, but anything is possible. Luiz looks terrible lately, always out of position and generally looks clueless, especially on the counter-attack. If we get anything close to 30 mil, we can laugh all the way to the bank. If we could just stop investing in the Enzo Perez's and Alan Kardec's of the world, and come up with a long term plan, we would be golden!!
matt34nj
First Team

Postby matt34nj » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:40 pm

And I have said this already: If Nico goes, whether this month or in the summer, I want Salvio back for good...
matt34nj
First Team

Postby Forcaslb29 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:16 am

If we sold him I wouldnt be mad, because yeah he is completely replaceable, as a matter a fact Nolito is right there to do the job. The thing that drives me crazy is how can we build a team if were selling every year. Ramires, Di Maria and Coentrao are all players were should have kept, and then bring in the players to fill the gaps. Pay these guys properly and we wont have to drop millions every summer looking for replacements. I know we have debts to pay...but i hope we get there soon where we're keeping our best players and paying them properly. And yes, getting Salvio back would be a dream.
Forcaslb29
First Team

Postby Mdot » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:41 pm

I think the problem is that we were out of the CL knockout stages for so long that we would have been financial ruin if we paid those guys top dollar. However, after last season’s and this season’s record transfers we sold + CL money coming back, we should seriously look at our squad this summer and increase contracts on key players like Rodrigo, Nelson, Nolito, Bruno, (Nico if we still have him or pick up Savlio), and pickup a top LB.

With Aimar and Maxi having renewed their contracts we just need to keep our wingers and get a good LB to compete with the top clubs in Europe. I also hope we can JJ an extension as this is his last year on his contract and I would hate to start with a new coach after finally seeing good squads on our team under his rule.
Mdot

Postby Mdot » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:42 pm

Nico's contract was renewed till 2018. Interesting part was that they lowered his buyout from $45 to $35 million to get the extension on the contract.

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=512090

Either way, great to see the extension. We've held on to him for a good bit of time now and I'm happy which what he's done at our club.
Mdot

Postby Stay_Toasty » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:13 am

Release clauses are pretty worthless. I mean when was the last time anyone went fro the release clause? Sporting signed everyone up to a $40 million release clauses for example. None of those guys were worth that kind of money. At the end of the day, whenever he leaves, we will get what he is worth, and more, most likely. That's what is most important, and in the mean time, he can be our most creative player.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby BC/SLB » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:53 am

Gaitan has turned out to be another of those rare loyal players at our club (like Luisao and Maxi for e.g), who seems very happy to remain with the team. This is good to see in this age of football mercenaries. Perhaps it has also been a case of interested teams not matching his valuation, but at the same time he could have pushed for a move away from the club, the way Oblak and Matic did, which would've made it impossible for the club to keep him, but he didn't. Hats off to his loyalty, very rare nowadays! It took me a while (a few seasons) to really appreciate his play due to his inconsistency, but he is a more consistent player these days and clearly one of our more important players.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Re: Nicolás Gaitán #10

Postby Mdot » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:19 pm

I agree that it takes a player to push his way out to get below the contract but in many cases, clubs have had to pay close to the buyout. Here's a great video the club put out for Nico, love the beat they used.

Mdot

Previous

Return to Latest News and General Discussion