Nicolás Gaitán #10

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Nicolás Gaitán #20

Postby Juan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:28 pm

Mdot wrote:
Juan wrote:I dun mind selling Gaitan to either Barca or Man U in a few years time. But most of the time we cant keep hold of our buyout clause (like we sold Coentrao to Real in the summer), whereas Porto is selling Falcao to Atletico Madrid for 40m which is quite close to his buyout clause! Is it down to the club's debt?

What are you talking about? We got the full buyout for Fabio and in addition got Real to drop the buyback option on Rodrigo, so we got more then that buyout was worth in that deal.

O sorry maybe i got confused with all these transfers :? . I mean the transfer of David Luiz, Di Maria
Juan
Mascot

Postby Benfiquista » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:56 pm

ESPN Star wrote:
Report: Barca Enter Gaitan Race
Barcelona have joined the race to sign Benfica's highly rated winger Nicolas Gaitan, according to reports.
The Argentina international has been one of the surprise standouts from the UEFA Champions League group stages this season, leading to speculation that Manchester United will try and sign the player in the winter transfer window. United and Benfica are both in Group C and have played each other twice with nothing to separate the two teams. Gaitan helped his Portuguese employers to a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford most recently while the Red Devils were previously held 1-1 at Estadio da Luz.

However, Gaitan's performances have not gone unnoticed in Spain and it now appears the English champions will have to fight it out with Barca for the winger's signature. Sport reports that an official from the Catalan club was at the Estadio da Luz on Saturday to watch the 23-year-old play in Benfica's 1-0 victory against Sporting CP in the Portuguese Liga.

Gaitan did sign a one-year contract extension with Benfica last month, but it is understood that his release clause remains unchanged at €45 million. Gaitan currently leads the Champions League charts with four assists this season, ahead of a long line of players on three assists including Chelsea's Fernando Torres, Real Madrid's Karim Benzema, Napoli's Ezequiel Lavezzi and Barcelona's Lionel Messi.

Well if Barcelona gives us Messi then they have a deal :ok :laugh In all seriousness though, Gaitan isn't moving anywhere next month and hopefully during the summer too. I want this guy for at least two more seasons.
Benfiquista

Postby BenficaNYRB » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:38 pm

I heard rumors that we accepted a bid from Man U for Nico Gaitan? I don't believe that BS, why would he want to leave a club that is in the CL knockout stages for one that was eliminated group phase? It just wouldn't make any sense.
BenficaNYRB
Junior

Postby inMotionSLB » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:11 am

He would earn triple of what he earns here, that's the only reason people move away from us.

If he does go, we have to get Salvio back.
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby LaliPro » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:37 am

BenficaNYRB wrote:I heard rumors that we accepted a bid from Man U for Nico Gaitan? I don't believe that BS, why would he want to leave a club that is in the CL knockout stages for one that was eliminated group phase? It just wouldn't make any sense.

I think if he go it couldn't be earlier than this summer!

Benfica is a transfer-team now, so everybody sure that he would go one day and now he is 23 ys. They think MU or an other PL club is the next level, and this is the problem...
LaliPro
Junior

Postby Mdot » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:48 pm

LaliPro wrote:
BenficaNYRB wrote:I heard rumors that we accepted a bid from Man U for Nico Gaitan? I don't believe that BS, why would he want to leave a club that is in the CL knockout stages for one that was eliminated group phase? It just wouldn't make any sense.

I think if he go it couldn't be earlier than this summer!

Benfica is a transfer-team now, so everybody sure that he would go one day and now he is 23 ys. They think MU or an other PL club is the next level, and this is the problem...

Transfer team, yes/no. We’re an established club and we do pay our top players well. However we can’t pay our entire starting 11 top dollar. So yea we do sell some players when the price is right.

On that note I agree that Nico will likely go but our club will not sell unless it’s the buyout at 35million in the winter. We have no need for the cash now. I can see Benfica a little bit more openness to talks in the summer. This doesn’t count Javi at 20million buyout? (not exactly sure what his is).

Also for all the talk of these wealthy clubs, I have a hard time seeing United being able to afford 35million without selling some of their current talent. They have so much debt that not making the knockout stages of the CL means they will be financially in the red this year which hurts them under the new UEFA financial rules. Before selling Ronaldo for 100million, they had over a billion dollars in debt. They needed to win their league, sellout all games, and make it to the CL final each year to just breakeven on their costs. They are in some serious financial problems and that’s why that 100million for Ronaldo went to paying down debt and not getting a proper replacement. So yea they can likely get the money to pay us out but it would only put them one step closer to bankruptcy if they keep it up.

For me, I’m just worried about the likes of City, Chelsea, Malaga, or PSG who have billionaire owners who are willing to pay out of pocket for talent. You can tell Chelsea is starting to slow down their spending and I don’t see City needing another winger/forward at this point in time. Barca have no need for Nico and Real has over spent the past few years.
Mdot

Postby inMotionSLB » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:33 pm

This is why we need players like Javi and Maxi, who are good and want to stay.
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Questions on Gaitan

Postby thelines » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:14 pm

Hello all,

I am the creator of a Manchester United website called Stretford End Arising.

With recent news linking United with a move for Gaitan, I wonder if I can pose a few questions? Alternatively if someone is interested in writing a blog article please DM me and I will provide my email address.

We have worked together previously, when the two teams met in September: http://www.stretfordendarising.com/2011 ... h-preview/

Cheers,
Andrew
thelines
Mascot

Re: Questions on Gaitan

Postby Mdot » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:02 pm

The guys that run these boards will likely speak for everyone but I’m curious if would you want answers from the site or would you want answers from various people on here?

Personally I can’t see him leaving in the winter unless you guys are willing to pay the buyout like Chelsea did with David Luiz.
Mdot

Postby 1904 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:44 pm

Please, feel free to give your opinions here or get in touch with Andrew. This is also your forum Mdot! :)

Andrew, if you want a view from PB users just post your questions and Im sure many will give their opinions.

--------------------

I hope he doesn't leave in January as we are still in the Champions League and have a good chance ot make it to the next round given our season so far.

Personally, I would like to see Salvio back in Benfica but don't see it happening until Gaitán leaves.

Good player with lots of potential, now the question is does he feel he can fulfill his potential in Benfica? Not sure if he wants to. Can be a bit lazy at tracking back in the second half when he is getting tired (and happens wuite often) but in the beginning of the game he is usually very energetic.

Im sure there there are tons of youtube videos of him and you will see some flash of genius in him but needs to be more consistent as a player.
Site Admin

Postby Miralem » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:10 pm

:x no need to ask questions because he wont be coming.
Miralem
First Team

Postby Mdot » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:19 pm

If we got Salvio back, that would be all good in my book. The funny thing is that Atletico tired holding out for 15million, we didn’t bite. Now we may sell Nico for 35 and I bet 10million would look good to Atletico since Salvio hasn’t been a big part of their plans.

Also we recently experimented with Rodrigo on the right, so we do have some options. I just don’t see the point of any of this happening in the winter. United is going to have less cash this year, so sending 35million on one player during the winter is a big jump. Also we’ll likely not want to sell. As for Nico, it would be better for his career if he tried to win the league title with us this year and if he gets to go deep in the CL with us. That will only allow him to demand a bigger salary if he does get transferred out.

As for info on him, he has mainly played as a winger on both the right and left but his natural spot is in the middle behind the strikers. Very versatile player which is why I can see United looking for someone like him.
Mdot

Postby Benfiquista » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:29 pm

Miralem wrote::x no need to ask questions because he wont be coming.

Agreed. I don't even see why Nico would want to go there considering United have two class wingers in Nani and Young. I'm sure Gaitan knows he won't be a starting over those two consistently. Also why would he want to leave a team who's in the CL last sixteen to a team who's in the EL? All about the money in Futebol these days I guess.
Benfiquista

Postby 1904 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Money talks. Look at Nasri in Manchester City, barely even plays. Last weekend only because it was against Arsenal.
Site Admin

Postby Forcaslb29 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:58 am

I honestly wouldnt be upset if gaitan was sold. I dont think he is anywhere the calibre of the DiMaria or Coentrao (ahhh imagine we had thsoe two still floating up the left). To me, he ll make a decent pass, but I honestly cant say hes had a memorable game, or took control of a game. I d like to see him play in the middle, but honestly, I dont see what the fuss over him as a winger is.
Forcaslb29
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion