Foreign Players on Benfica

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Foreign Players on Benfica

Postby Benfiquista » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:18 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I think the foreign players coming into our team is fastly becoming a concern...At the moment we only have nine Portuguese players on the team and with three new Brazilians coming, now we have more Brazilians (12) than Portuguese (9)...Whats even more sad is that we have more South American players (18) than European players (10)...Our SL Benfica is quickly going to be called SL South America if this shit doesn't stop...I know now a days big teams play with most foreigns, but I don't want our team to look like fucking Arsenal where they hardly play any English players at all...We are a Portuguese team for fucks sake...I seriously can't wait until the day FIFA officially announce the 6+5 rule...In fact I think the rule will start to take effect next season where teams must start the match with at least four home grown players and seven foreigns
Benfiquista

Re: Foreign Players on Benfica

Postby 1904 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:12 am

Sport Lisboa e Brasil is what some people call us in Portugal now :geez

Yeah getting 3 more players from Brazil this early already wasn't necessary either.
Unless they are planning to part with Keirrison, David Luiz and Di Maria after this season?

but not only that, Benfica currrently have so many players contracted its a joke, there are so many out on loan whose link with us needs to be sorted.

As soon as the FIFA rules comes in they will have to do something about it. We have many Portuguese in the youth system who need to be given a chance, because there are some good players out there.

also it's not like we are getting these south american players on the cheap, their wage may be but the transfer is usually in the millions.

With the heavy investment this season in comparison to rival clubs we need to win the league this season.
Site Admin

Postby Mijorho » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:50 pm

The 6+5 rule wouldn't strengthen Portuguese teams. The best Portuguese players would still play abroad. We'd just end up with a situation where we'd have to choose a Ruben Amorim over a Javi Garcia.
Mijorho
Substitute

Postby SLB » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:40 pm

Gone are the days where you can field 8 players or so from your club's nationality...Look at the most successful European teams over the last 10 years.
This argument keeps coming around but I cannot see the fucking point.

Tell me something...if Benfica won the CL within the next two years by fielding more playsers from other countries than Portugal would any member start gettting fresh on this argument....I don't think there will be many...Benfica play the game to be sucessful and to do that they have to as all other teasm do attract a better calibre of players from overseas....
SLB
Manager

Postby Benfiquista » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:24 am

Good point SLB...My concern is that I just don't want my team to go overboard on foreign players...I know mostly all top clubs in the world play with more foreign then homegrown players now a days, but I wouldn't enjoy seeing my squad with no Portuguese players at all
Benfiquista

Postby 1904 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:41 am

Also the fact that Portuguese players are asking for a lot more money than ones from South America.

Although the following is related to Olhanense (Jorge Costa) I can imagine a similar attitude from other clubs.

abola.pt wrote:Portugueses são caros

São muitos os nomes em cima da mesa, mas todos pedem muito dinheiro. Mercado sul-americano parece ser a melhor alternativa.

Site Admin

Postby Benfiquista » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:29 pm

Benfica have more Brazilens than Portuguese on the team

See I'm not the only one whose talking about it lol...Of course all fans around the world would love to have more homegrown players on a team, but like SLB said sadly those days are gone now
Benfiquista

Postby Forcaslb29 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:52 pm

Tiago, Manuel Fernades, Miguel (piece if shit) etc are all Benfica players that sold out our club as soon as they started to make a name for themselves. Portuguese players dont care for our clubs, Benfica, Porto and Merda Sporting, and i dont care now where Benfica gets its players from. As long as they want to wear the Benfica jersey and arent using our club as a stepping stone for some other team, then im fine with it. How many times do you hear a portuguese player being unsuccesful somewhere, and he'll resfuse to come back and play in portugal...nani being the perfect example right now.
Forcaslb29
First Team

Postby SLB » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:41 am

Forcaslb29 wrote:Tiago, Manuel Fernades, Miguel (piece if shit) etc are all Benfica players that sold out our club as soon as they started to make a name for themselves. Portuguese players dont care for our clubs, Benfica, Porto and Merda Sporting, and i dont care now where Benfica gets its players from. As long as they want to wear the Benfica jersey and arent using our club as a stepping stone for some other team, then im fine with it. How many times do you hear a portuguese player being unsuccesful somewhere, and he'll resfuse to come back and play in portugal...nani being the perfect example right now.

Good point....this is what it comes down to at the end of the day.
As long as they play for the shirt and then who are we to complain..
:benficascarf
SLB
Manager

Postby 1904 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:33 am

As long as they aren't like cuntdriguez
Site Admin

Postby Forcaslb29 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:45 pm

haha dont even getting me going on cuntriguez!
Forcaslb29
First Team

Postby rpacheco » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:17 pm

i personally dont relly mind. sure id love 2 hav more portuguese in the team but if we need brazilians 2 win than im kl with it
rpacheco
Junior

Postby SLB » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:25 pm

In this business today winning is what matters.....a club the size of Benfica has to be winning silverware year on year...
SLB
Manager

Postby benfica73 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:25 am

:benficaflag rather have r cousins were the shirt and play for the love of the club! :ptflag
benfica73
Junior

Postby SLB » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:08 am

I would love more Portuguese players starting for Benfica but it is not going to happen...the best move abroad so we have to find alternative replacements of equal quality....If they play with heart and for the shirt then Benfica will always produce a team which the supportors are going to love watching...
:benficascarf
SLB
Manager

Next

Return to Latest News and General Discussion