Benfica Press Headlines

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Benfica Press Headlines

Postby Mdot » Wed May 20, 2015 2:31 am

I was hearing that Benfica podcast and they had a guest of 4million per year vs the estimated 5 to 8million we'll now get. Chris on there put down the impact those dollars make but in my book, a few more million from a sponsor there, maybe a bit more eventually from the back sponsor, BTV is giving us millions more now, slight increase on ad space in the stadium, to me that all adds up.

I don't think we'll get to the point of buying a Ronaldo player or breaking European transfer records but having a few million more per year is the difference from keeping players longer or having to sell them because we can't keep up on salary. We know how to scout good talent, issue has been able to afford the salary increases as they get good. Having a few more million to give to key players could mean we keep them an extra season to give us that extra edge to fight longer in Europe. Add that extra European cash and all the sudden we can compete a bit more.

That's just my two cents but I think each year the club is moving in the right direction. We have the global fan base and upside to be bigger and stronger.
Mdot

Postby miklos-russia » Wed May 20, 2015 10:49 pm

there is an interesting interview in russian newspaper 'sport-express'.
20-year old Vladislav Oslonovskiy - nobody knows him, but he played for 1.5 years for Benfica, when he was 13.

- what's the difference between russian football schools and Benfica academy?
- in Russia - coach is a king. in Benfica - he is a friend of every player. he talks with you about your problems and helps to solve them. it's a relationship like if you are the first squad player.

- same here with Benfica players?
- yes! we were on training with David Luiz, Coentrao, Di Maria, Cardozo.. Or we were watching TV, and David Luiz was walking near you and smiling at you. I remember that one player - Marcos Lopes - who is playing for Lille now - asked Ramires for a pair of old boots. And Ramires presented him two pairs of new boots in a dressing-room. Marcos was really happy.

- did you play with Sporting?
- oh yes, and I scored! we took part in a small tournament and played against Porto - we won on penalties in 1/2. and then we had beaten Sporting in the final, I came on the pitch, when the score was 3:0 and then I scored the 4th goal. There were fans with banners, and everyone could see our games on Benfica TV! But I had to leave Lisbon, because my father couldn't stay here anymore.

quite interesting, i think. now this guy is playing for macedonian club Teteks.
miklos-russia
First Team

Postby Stay_Toasty » Wed May 20, 2015 10:53 pm

I agree with MDot. I think this new money coming in can be the difference between not resigning Maxi and losing him. Or signing a free agent like Jonas or Julio Cesar. I think it does have an effect.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby Mdot » Thu May 21, 2015 10:54 am

miklos-russia wrote:there is an interesting interview in russian newspaper 'sport-express'.
20-year old Vladislav Oslonovskiy - nobody knows him, but he played for 1.5 years for Benfica, when he was 13.

- what's the difference between russian football schools and Benfica academy?
- in Russia - coach is a king. in Benfica - he is a friend of every player. he talks with you about your problems and helps to solve them. it's a relationship like if you are the first squad player.

- same here with Benfica players?
- yes! we were on training with David Luiz, Coentrao, Di Maria, Cardozo.. Or we were watching TV, and David Luiz was walking near you and smiling at you. I remember that one player - Marcos Lopes - who is playing for Lille now - asked Ramires for a pair of old boots. And Ramires presented him two pairs of new boots in a dressing-room. Marcos was really happy.

- did you play with Sporting?

- oh yes, and I scored! we took part in a small tournament and played against Porto - we won on penalties in 1/2. and then we had beaten Sporting in the final, I came on the pitch, when the score was 3:0 and then I scored the 4th goal. There were fans with banners, and everyone could see our games on Benfica TV! But I had to leave Lisbon, because my father couldn't stay here anymore.

quite interesting, i think. now this guy is playing for macedonian club Teteks.

That's a pretty cool write up. I would like to think that's what makes this club different. It's more of a family, there is no owner, so it feels like everyone is working together for the same goal of titles, not just as a toy for a billionaire. We saw it when we won the title and had such a large amount of players send us message.

If all this extra cash does is allow us to keep Maxi and pay a few of our other guys a bit more so they stay, that will make us a stronger club.

In terms of headlines, I think we'll see more of these on potential JJ replacements.
http://www.abola.pt/clubes/ver.aspx?t=3&id=550168
LFV had already booked in a meeting with JJ over a contract renewal. Personally I think he's going to stay but he can go anywhere now so of course the papers will start their rumors such as Rui Vitoria being his replacement.

While I would prefer a manager with more experience in Europe, if we are going to go with a domestic hire, I would take Rui. From my understanding he's a benfiquista, he was born in my area just outside of Lisboa. Managed our Juniors for a short bit before managing other clubs. All the clubs he's gone to Benfica has provided him with loan products to manage with the exception being while he's been at Vitoria. That club almost went bankrupt yet he was able to turn things around. Beat us for a Taca and has been able to get way more then expected out of his squads.

For now, I just want JJ to resign. The last headline that had me laughing all yesterday was Sporting's president wanting to sign JJ. There is no chance in hell he would leave us for a smaller club.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Sat May 23, 2015 7:33 pm

Ultimately I think that JJ will stay.
Possible open spots;

JJ Wants;
- Real Madrid: They're stupid for letting Ancelotti go and even more stupid if they hire Rafa "the Spanish Waiter" Benitez. It will be a horrible hire.
- PSG: They just might make a move. Personally I think that Blanc isn't good enough
- AC Milan: Not a very good spot at the moment, but could become great again, if whoever comes in next is able to get them up the table. Money is an issue, until sale is complete or really happening
- City: Pellegrini might get one more year, as City waits for Pep
- Liverpool: I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers was let go. Not so sure that JJ would get a look

JJ Wants Bigger;
- Sevilla: Emery has been pointed to go elsewhere. I think JJ would want bigger opportunity (CL). I wouldn't mind Emery at Benfica.
- Roma: Crazy if they let Rudi Garcia go. Another guy I wouldn't mind at Benfica.
- Napoli: Rafa is gone, so they'll need someone.
- Marseille: Bielsa will most likely be gone. I really like him as a manager, but he's just not stable enough. He'll wear out his welcome much to quickly.

Ultimately I think that JJ will go. Sporting doesn't have the finances to hire him, and the Head Maca Podre is an idiot for letting Marco Silva walk. BdC wants to be the most revered at the club, so the great savior will prove to be an "empty suit". I agree that he was perfect in invigorating the fans, but he's been poor on the transfer front and in overall running of the club.

Porto will be interesting. Lopetegui coming unhinged at the end of the season, set off a few alarms.

Rui Vitoria has done a nice job at Guimaraes, but Benfica is a huge step up. The pressure is immense, and failure is not an option.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby BC/SLB » Tue May 26, 2015 12:14 pm

Well it's been confirmed that Joao Cancelo has been sold outright to Valencia, for a reputed 15 million. Another sale that irritates me and yet another talented local youngster who has been let go for what eventually won't seem like enough money.

Andre Gomes is now easily worth more than twice what we sold him for last summer, and Bernardo Silva's potential already seems like much more than 15 million. I was looking forward to Cancelo and Cavaleiro returning to the club this summer after successful loans spells and adding a lot of quality to the squad options. Just watch Cavaleiro get sold as well this summer!

There's a lot LFV is doing right at this club no doubt about it, but I can't stand how he sells off all our young local talent at the first bids. Gomes, Bernardo, Cavaleiro and Cancelo should have all been in the long term plan of this team, instead they get sold off quick. Let's take the example of the most successful team in Europe over the last 10 years, Barcelona. The bedrock and spine of their team every season are the talented players who came through the youth system, and they buy foreign players to balance things out. Our club would be wise to follow a similar structure, just look at the local talent we have been producing!

Hopefully the positive thing about Cancelo's sale is this means the club has every intention of keeping Maxi, let's hope so! Another thought I've been having, if Gaitan does get sold this summer, I'd like to see the club try and get Markovic back on loan for next season to replace Nico. Markovic had an awful debut season at Liverpool (not his fault though, the whole team were awful!) and Liverpool might be happy to loan him out for a season to get his form back. Markovic has continued following Benfica this season and seems to love the club, so would likely be open to the move himself. It would benefit all 3 parties concerned and we'd have a class player back at the club.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Tue May 26, 2015 12:27 pm

I haven't liked seeing these kids go but to be honest, the prices we are seeing for loan/bench players is pretty stupid in my book. I would have rather seen the club keep some of these kids but I'm also not surprised. In total we are looking at 45million from the sale of Ivan, Cancelo, Sidnei and Farina (not all of these have been fully confirmed).

As for Markovic, rumors are that the EPL looking at Nico is Liverpool, so maybe we can do a cash plus Markovic back. I would gladly take a young player at his level back. If we do receive 45million, maybe we'll try to hold on to Nico but if we get even more cash from his sale, then I can't see us selling anyone else and ideally we keep Maxi.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Sun May 31, 2015 8:26 pm

We have to be careful to not over value our own players, like Sporting has done. Andre Gomes market value currently sits at $15 Million Euros, having risen from $12 million. We got our 15 million for him. We also have Pizzi and Talisca ready to move up and eventually bring a tidy profit. Never mind future possible gains from highly touted Cristante and Mukhtar. I for one think that Djuric, if his head is right, will still bring money either through loans or him coming good and being sold off.
I know that we would all prefer to have these youngsters develop and become big stars in our system, but the odds of that happening are slim. If you ask me, we've been getting amazing return on unknown and unproven talent.

I do not want Markovic back, although I do think he can still become a very good player. We were able to sell him for 25 million euros, when his value stood at less then 20 million. He's now valued around 17 million. I for one, want to get the most amount back for Gaitan. Markovic wouldn't be coming back for as cheap as Matic came, in a make weight deal.
We still have plenty of valued players in our squad and will continue to have them.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:05 am

If we get Markovic for Nico I would also want at least 20million cash but I highly doubt that will happen and I think the club has little need for wingers.

I'm really liking the youth and options we have at the moment for the team. It would be a loss if Nico is sold but I think we'll still be very strong. I'm more worried about our RB if Maxi is sold.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:02 pm

Yeah here comes the silly season with all the rumours and gossip, this summer will be no different! Well Mdot, I don't quite agree when you say the club has little need for wingers. We are likely going to start the new campaign (and perhaps the entire CL group stage) without either of our first choice wingers of the last few seasons, Gaitan is surely gonna be sold and Salvio may only be back from injury in 2016.

Sulejmani hasn't quite impressed imo and doesn't look like starting material for us, and Ola John, despite having obvious talent, has been inconsistent in his time at the club. There's no indication that Cavaleiro will play for us next season (i'm expecting to see him get sold as all young Portuguese talent get sold by this club as soon as there's a bid) and Guedes is still too green and inxeperienced. To me there's definitely issues in regards to our wingers.

I think we need to bring in a talented winger this summer, if Gaitan is sold as expected. Markovic fits the bill, super talented, tried and tested at the club and a player in big need of something fresh after a very poor debut season for Liverpool. It would have to be on loan for a year because we couldn't afford to buy him outright. One single season on loan is not ideal, but that's the way clubs like us (with seriously limited budgets) have to work. Season by season.

I think Pizzi could work out as a direct replacement for Gaitan on the left flank. Like Nico, Pizzi is creative, has good vision and great delivery of crosses and set pieces. But we have to find someone to replace Salvio on the right if he is indeed going to be out for months. If Pizzi does take the left wing spot, next season could be a big one for Talisca in CM. He's got talent and potential that kid and I'm hoping to see a much improved second season from him.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Stay_Toasty » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:08 pm

If we do sign wingers i see it happening at the very end of the transfer window because i think JJ would want to give guys like Candeias and Duricic a chance at those positions. If they are still not at the quality JJ wants.
As far as Cavaleiro, I really think JJ likes him as he is that powerful fast player that JJ likes to have. I dont see JJ giving up on him that quick.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby miklos-russia » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:41 pm

JJ in Sporting?

WHAT"S THE FUCK?!
miklos-russia
First Team

Postby miklos-russia » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:58 pm

vieira.. what are you doing?? rui vitoria?? jj is out?! 'great' news before going to sleep
step behind for jj
and for us also.

whts the hell is that all....
miklos-russia
First Team

Postby Mdot » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:48 am

Here comes a long rant. In all fairness most of had the feeling he would be leaving yet most (including myself) laughed at the rumors of him going to Sporting. This is truly a surprise, I didn't event want to talk about it last night.

First off I say thank you for the titles won and memories. While he was arrogant and stubborn, he did well for us. However this is no different than Figo going to from Barca to Real or any other story of a key figure switching to an arch rival for money. JJ will be booed and that's what he should expect. Supposedly people at the club are pissed on how he continued to refuse to even discuss staying at Benfica. I expect some additional nasty words given where he went.

Funny thing is that I'm not as pissed off as I would have been if he went to a title challenger like Porto. While he may improve Sporting I still don't think they have the talent to make them champions. No matter how good a manager is he, Sporting has serious financial issues. It is expected they will sell their key players again and rely on their juniors to fill the gap, something JJ was never good with. I'm also looking forward to seeing their fat president who likes to pretend to be coach have his first bust up with JJ. So if anything I'm expecting this will not end well for Sporting. JJ will get his 18million over 3 years plus the five million signing bonus.

So the rumor which seems very true is that we will get Rui Vitoria. Like JJ, he's coming from a similar club level. I've had some respect for Rui for a long time. He went into Vitoria when they were on the verge of bankruptcy and it was expected they would get relegated this season. With little resources he build them back up to their level, won a Taca and qualified them for Europe. He was also the man in charge when Pacos has that outstanding season and faced us in the League Cup final. The additional bonus is that for years he has talked about managing his true club Benfica. He managed some of our junior teams and he has some familiarity with the club. Also his salary is going to be cheap compared to the amounts JJ was already receiving, hopefully that makes room to give new contracts to guys like Maxi.

On the negative side, he has no experience in Europe, so I expect us to fall flat in Europe like we did on our first season. I would add pressure but in his first season at Vitoria when they were almost bankrupt, fans rushed the field and started attacking the players, so he's dealt with some heated fans before.

The part I'm excited about is the army of players we have on the bench, on loan, and on the b-team. Players that likely had no hope under JJ because of his attitude could get new life such as Duricic, Nelson, Lopez, and the million youth players JJ loved to ignore. For now the club needs to try to make a statement by either keeping all their talent or at the very least only lose 1 player. If we can have a full squad plus improvements for Rui, we'll have a good shot at a 3rd title.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:36 pm

Well this hasn't all been confirmed yet officially, but it looks to be the reality. If it is, I will firstly thank JJ for what he brought to the club and the titles won. But after that I will say that he can F**K Off basically!If this is all true, I will have lost all respect for him.

You just don't do this, move directly to your team's big rivals. It's like leaving Real Madrid to go coach Barcelona, or leaving Liverpool to go coach Man United. Ironically JJ has turned out to be the most unloyal of all (more than any of all the players who have left us in recent years, at least they didnt join our direct rivals), and it seems like it was just for the increased salary. He will claim it's because he grew up supporting Sporting. But I say it again, you just don't do this: turn your back on a club for their traditional rivals.

I saw his interview and press conference after the Taca de Liga final, and it looked to me like he had made a decision to leave already. His body language and reluctance to talk at all about the contract renewal showed this. But I was expecting if he did leave, he would surely move on to another league and a proper big club. To downgrade to Sporting was a big surprise to everyone.

I'm not so keen on Rui Vitoria as others are. Yes he has done a great job at Vitoria G, but managing them and managing Benfica is a whole different affair. He has no European experience and we badly need to make an impression in the CL next season. He also played a defensive counter attacking game at Vitoria, the last thing I want is to see us becoming a defensive team after 6 years of attacking football. I would prefer an experienced foreign coach. But it looks like Rui Vitoria will be appointed, so here's hoping he hits the ground running. Because we've been getting on a roll these last few seasons and that needs to continue.
BC/SLB
Substitute

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion