Benfica Press Headlines

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Benfica Press Headlines

Postby WPG Chop 11 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:47 pm

heey! back from the dead!

shame me if im wrong but wouldnt mind seeing a starting XI like this!

Oblak

Maxi (almeida) Luisao (lisandro) Vitoria Silvio

Fejsa
Amorim
Salvio Pizzi

Markovic (oliveira) Lima

if oblak left, i wouldnt mind seeing Ochoa getting signed, loved this guy forever and this world cup reinforced that. i still wished Benfica kept Eduardo because that guy plays with heart, no matter what he always screams the national anthem when he plays for portugal.
Açoriano AEu Morrer
WPG Chop 11
Junior

Postby BC/SLB » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:14 am

Well looks like Oblak is a definite gonner, he's hugely expected to sign for Atletico in the next few days. Dumb from the club to sell this kid so early, if he's already worth 20 million after just half a season in the team, I'm sure he'd be worth a lot more by next summer after a full season with us, and CL play. Honestly I can't think of any keeper that we can afford to replace him, who will be as good.

I'm trying not to be too pessimistic about this summer activity, but if things keep going the way they are looking, then for next season we will likely be weaker at goalkeeper (-Oblak), weaker in defence (-Garay and Siqueira), weaker in midfield (if both Enzo and Gomes leave) and weaker in attack (-Rodrigo). There's even talk Markovic or Cardozo could be gone this summer.

We've been signing totally unknown players to replace them. Being relatively unknown doesn't mean they won't possibly be quality players, but certainly in terms of experience some of these guys will be coming from the unknown straight into CL play, which is risky. I don't see what was the need to sign this right back Filipe Luis, when we have cover for that position. Joao Cancelo looks like he will have no chances again this season in the first team as a result. With 2 (unknown) left backs also signed, does this also mean Silvio is not going to be signed permanently? Looks like it, and it would be a shame, he had a fantastic season for us.

I'm trying to be positive but at this point it looks like we will need some more JJ miracles next season of moulding a whole new team yet again for a new season, and making do with new players of less quality (certainly less experience) than the players who left. Hopefully they all hit the ground running and JJ is able to form a competitive team again real quick.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:54 am

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=487093

On a positive note Enzo just lashed out really hard at some of the Portuguese media making it very clear his daughter was born in Portugal, the people and the club treat them extremely well, he is very happy with his career and where he is.

Each season it's the same story, papers go to town on us selling players, sometimes we have 1 go, others we have 3 go, and last season none left. I think at this point we have likely sold all we need.

As for Oblak, if someone gives us 20million for a rookie keeper that has alot of promise, that would be a crazy sum for a keeper. I doubt we'll see him go for that price tag and I truly hope the club doesn't sell him for less then his buyout.

On another note, Airton is stay with Flamengo in Brazil on another year loan.

Guilavogui from A.Madrid is rumored to be a loan player we could get on the defensive mid-field side. Personally I have zero interest in developing other club's assets. It was great having Silvio and Siqueira as a fix for our LB issue but because they were loan players, all we did was plug a major leak in our defense with a finger. The issue of having a proper LB is still there.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:33 pm

As much as I would hate to see Oblak go, if the 20 million euro price tag is true its a no brainier. Oblak could go on have three great seasons with us, and we would still only get 20 mil. If, and that's still a big if, Oblak brings in 20 mil, will be cashing in on a player well before we expected. Great piece of business.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:30 am

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=487654

Enzo once again has said he's very happy with Benfica, dispelled rumors of him leaving. Stated that if he wasn't happy and didn't want to stay he wouldn't have renewed his contract for an extra 2 years. Has a young daughter that was born in Portugal and views it as his home now.

He was so critical for our team. If we do keep him and he shows signs of continuing his performance level, I say up his salary and buyout. Make him like Luisao where we ensured he stayed his career with us.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:04 am

Yeah it's been good to see those comments from Enzo Perez, looks like he genuinely wants to stay. This would be a real bonus to the team as most had given up hope that he would stay, even the club seems to be preparing for him leaving, by signing some other midfielders.

We must remember though that players wanting to stay doesn't mean they will and if a team like Valencia matches his release clause he might still be sold. I recall Javi Garcia and Witsel both stating they were happy to stay before both being sold off in the last minute. So until the transfer window closes, there are still strong possibilities that the likes of Enzo, Oblak and Gaitan will be sold. Hopefully only one of these 3 at the most leaves. If this is the case, together with the strengthening we're making with signings, we would be in good shape to have a strong season coming up.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:23 pm

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=487779

Markovic off to Liverpool for 25million however I don't fully understand if we get all that transfer fee or if part of it goes to his old club? It seems as if we only own 50%.

Here's a guess at our line-up:

Cardozo - Lima
Nico - Enzo - Salvio
Fesja
Almeida - Lopez - Luisao - Maxi

Throw in all the new signings, b-team players, and guys coming back on loan and we still have a pretty strong looking team. My number 1 worry is Enzo, I can deal with losing Nico but to me Enzo would hurt us the most if we lost him.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:54 pm

Mdot, I completely agree with in regards too Enzo. He's our manager out on the field and has really embraced our culture, after having such a hard time in the beginning. That being said, I think he's gone. There's been too much banter, and we're clearly cashing in on last campaigns success. I'm just happy that he's making sure to be leaving on good terms.

As Markovic, I get us cashing in, but this could be a case of the club/investment group that owns the other 50% causing in. I understand that sometimes you have no choice when bringing in talent, but once you own only a portion of the players your options become limited.
As per example, Porto has made some nice sales, but in truth they've only collected portions of the fees.

I can't believe that we really need JJ at this juncture. Luisao is also a huge key in maintaining that "brand" and expectations. In looking over the squad, should Cardozo and Enzo go, there's too many newbies. Very tough.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:32 am

To me I'm hoping that we have a surprise in one of the new signings or a loan return such as Nelson to fill the gap if Cardozo cannot return to his top forum.

As for Enzo, I strongly believe he's one of our biggest assets. My main fear is the world cup. Di Maria is now out of it and it seems Enzo was the first choice to replace him during the last game. If we starts the final two games and does what he did for Benfica in terms of success, then his demand will only increase. I can almost see a what BC said, a Witsel event, where we sold other players to balance the books and right at the last min a club comes in and takes out the full buyout with a stupid salary attached.

I still have hope and that comes from the point you main on JJ. Given the amount of experience he now has with dealing with new players each season, the knowledge of our B-team/loan players, and the depth of knowledge on our liga, we could see JJ pull off his magic once more.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:52 am

It seems Markovic will be gone, when I read the story on the bbc website, it seems like it's real. The Portuguese papers reports are full of rumours everyday, so one must be careful to take their reports with a pinch of salt. However if a British-based paper is reporting the story, then it's likely that he will be sold. Again like I said about Oblak, we'd be selling Markovic too early and too cheap for 25 million. He's only going to get better, and by next summer he could be worth 40 million after having given us another great season and with CL exposure.

Another thing I've been thinking, with one of Oblak and Enzo likely to be sold (hopefully only one), which of these two sales do all of you think would be most damaging to the team? Since they'd both fetch a similar amount of money, which would you rather keep? It's a tough one to call, isn't it? I can't decide myself, Enzo is indeed the "general" on the pitch, but Oblak is almost a guarantee of clean sheets. Like I say hopefully only one of them does leave.

Lastly it seems that our promising young Portuguese players from the B team are again not going to be given much opportunity in the first team. With Maxi not getting any younger, this should be Cancelo's break-though season to get some chances at right back. Instead we've brought in a Brasilian right back. Ditto ditto for Bernardo Silva, instead we've bought a Brasilian attacking midfielder. I wish the club had a little more faith in the talented youngsters coming through, this of course would also benefit the Selecao, who we saw at this WC is full of old spent players, with not enough youngsters given a chance. it's also up to the big Portuguese clubs to develop young local talent. Look how the German and Dutch national teams have benefited from their clubs investing in youth, Portugal must start doing more of this.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby CowCoentrao » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:31 pm

In the long term Enzo is more important for me. If we keep Oblak for one more season, then clubs will be back for him next season. But Enzo is already 28, so if he doesn't leave this summer, I can see him staying here until the end of his career like Luisao has and we can get a good 4-5 years from him.
CowCoentrao
Junior

Postby Mdot » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:31 pm

CowCoentrao wrote:In the long term Enzo is more important for me. If we keep Oblak for one more season, then clubs will be back for him next season. But Enzo is already 28, so if he doesn't leave this summer, I can see him staying here until the end of his career like Luisao has and we can get a good 4-5 years from him.

Very good point. However the stability of a keeper is something to never under estimate, especially for larger games. However for our 18 team liga, there are only a small number of teams that can threaten us much. I also will take Enzo's heart and passion any day. A player that puts that much into his game and shows that much love for a win or a loss will always win me.

Papers are all talk about Oblak being gone for 16million and currently doing medicals at A.Madrid. Alot of these rumors will be cleared by the time pre-season starts as we'll know who's with the club or away on medicals.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:49 pm

It's upsetting to see how things have turned out with Oblak. He never did take to Benfica, and almost forced his way out before last campaign. Which makes me happy that we've supposedly received 16 mil for him. That's a very nice amount for a goalie. I doubt Rui Patricio would get the "Maca Podres" that much.
I was surprised to see Mori sent off to Turkey on loan. Due to Rodrigo's departure, I expected him to get his shot.

Plenty of silly season left, so we'll see what else pops up. What we can count on for sure is having the need to incorporate new players.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Tue May 19, 2015 11:18 am

There have been rumors of this for a couple of seasons but it looks like it is official now. Our main sponsor will be Fly Emirates. Contact is for 3 seasons.

With extra revenue from BTV airing our games, increased sponsorship dollars, and higher fan turnouts, I feel as if the club is really starting to pull away from its competitors.

http://www.abola.pt/clubes/index.aspx?id=40&t=3
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Tue May 19, 2015 12:51 pm

It's being reported as a three year 15 million euro deal. Not sure how much we were getting from MEO/PT, but this has to be an upgrade.
I also feel this will allow us to further extend our reach world wide, bringing in possible new affiliations. Due to the smaller TV and stadium revenue in Portugal, Benfica really has to push hard in obtaining its marketing revenue, in order to compete globally.

By the way, as stated before, I really liked the watermark jersey, but this clean old school jersey is going to be great.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion