Benfica Press Headlines

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Benfica Press Headlines

Postby Mdot » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:55 pm

Looks like Rui Vitoria is only a candidate at this point, they have a list of managers they are currently in talks with. I'm excited to see who we get.

To put things into perspective, in the 2014/2015 season JJ was the 10th highest paid manager in the world (9th if you remove the national teams).

http://www.sportyghost.com/10-highest-paid-football-managers-2014-2015/

Assuming all stays the same, Sporting have just made JJ the 7th most paid manager in the world not counting a supposed 5million signing bonus (if true that would make him 5th on that list!).

While I liked him at our club, the idea of us just matching or beating Sporting on that salary would be pure stupidity at the club level. That's like signing another Nico for our club in terms of where that salary can go. There a dozens of managers I could name off that earn less then JJ did at Benfica that would be top class managers. So I'm not concerned about this. I'm still just shocked on Sporting's willingness to pay this much for a manager.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:59 pm

As well as he's done at Guimaraes, I think Rui Vitoria would be too risky an appointment for such a big club as ours that needs to be winning trophies. He has almost no experience in winning (or even fighting for) titles (ok a Taca de Portugal, but that's hardly a major title these days) and almost no experience in European competition.

We need to continue this roll we have been on, and not let Porto back into dominating as they had been for so long. For this we need an appropriate coach and I just don't think Vitoria is the right candidate for what we need.

Here's some examples of coaches who I think would be better options for our club: If it's a Portuguese coach: Paulo Sousa, Marco Silva, Carlos Quieroz. Foreigners: Unai Emery, Sven Goran Eriksson, Marcelo Bielsa, Manuel Pellegrini, Marcello Lippi, Michael Laudrup, Frank Rijkaard.

We just have to look forward and find a new coach who can keep us on this good path and hopefully do even better, like finally make an impression on the Champs League.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby inMotionSLB » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:23 pm

Marco Silva is my first choice... 98% would be behind him from the go.

Rui Vitoria may need to win and convince before most get warmed up to him, so it might be difficult for him but nevertheless, if he's the one coming then we have to support.

I want to see us win EVERTHING there is to win in Portugal next season. No fking mercy.
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby CowCoentrao » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:54 am

Marco Silva is my #1 choice too. I'm praying and praying that we go for him, especially since I already liked him before he joined Sporting. He has everything Rui Vitoria has (giving chances to youth), and with the added crucial experience of managing a big 3 team in Portugal and managing some games in the Champions League. I think he actually did quite well in the CL, the only thing that let him down was that Sporting didn't invest in better CBs. Without the mistakes from individual players, he would have made the knockouts easily.

I also like Marco Silva's tactical style more than Vitoria's. Vitoria does some interesting things, but would those tactics work in Benfica?

The next title will be tough without Jesus, but one thing I'm certain about and looking forward to is that our youth will finally get a chance to show their worth. Goncalo Guedes is the man to replace Gaitan. Joao Teixeira is option to try to fill Enzo's void. Nuno Santos from the B team is another interesting prospect (if you haven't seen B team highlights this guy has one heck of a skillset: speed, dribbling, crossing, vision for through balls, long shots, free kicks. would be better than Cavaleiro for example if he can replicate this in the 1st division). I'm not sure if he's ready, but certainly worth giving a chance in pre-season.

Portugal U-20 highlights from a few days ago, Nuno Santos made the assist and the last goal (watch at 1:50 onward):
CowCoentrao
Junior

Postby Mdot » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:51 am

I think you guys may get your wish. Supposedly all the papers are talking about Marco being the next manager for the reasons stated above but also that us winning with him would be a double slap in the face of Sporting.

There is a meeting at the club for the idea of raising 25 to 50 million in new bonds. I want to see the club continuing to pay down debt, not add to it but in this case, I could careless about the debt for one season. If these funds allow us to get more buying power and win a 3rd back to back title and put Sporting in their place, I'd be happy.

As for U-20's Portugal is lighting it up in this tournament, they can sweep their group with a win over Columbia tonight. Another Benfica player doing well is Mukhtar, he netted a hat-trick on Germany's first match. I expect some of these kids to see playing time under a new manager.
Mdot

Postby matt34nj » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:57 pm

I agree with most of what has been written here these past 2 days. JJ-Thanks for the memories, but don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, you Judas traitor! You really did betray your team for some silver pieces, so the name is fitting.

I read that JJ's condition to joining SCP, which fat BdC apparently already agreed to, was that no stars would be sold and all key players retained. I just don't see how Sporting can afford to do this. Plus, eventually the Doyen decision will come down and Sporting will be forced to pay back what they refused to give Doyen over the Rojo deal. Also, remember 3rd party ownership will be eliminated soon, further impeding Sporting's ability to sign players.

As far as our teams future, I am ecstatic at the prospect of guys like Djuricic, Candeias, Nelson, Farina, Cristante, Mukhtar, Bebe, etc getting a fair shake under the new regime. Throw in our core players, plus youngsters like Guedes, Victor Andrade, Bruno Varela, Nuno Santos, Fabio Cardoso, Rui Fonte, Helder Costa, and especially Jonathan, etc. and we have a ton of options. I especially look forward to seeing Jonanthan and Guedes with the main team next year.

If we buy anyone, I would fancy a move for Mitrovic at Anderlecht, he has been linked to us for a while now, and could eventually replace Lima.

Now to find a new coach. I would take Rui or Silva, but would prefer Laudrup, Emery, Pellegrini, or even big Phil (although I hear hes off to China). How about the old Bayern coach (Jupp Heyneckes?)

Also, looking forward to us supposedly embracing this new credo of more academy talent being utilized to supplement the team, instead of buying another Luis Felipe.

I cannot wait to kick Sporting's ass all over the field in the SuperCup, and start the season off proper with another trophy.
matt34nj
First Team

Postby miklos-russia » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:50 pm

it's all so sad

i began to support Benfica, after the first JJ season. Of course for me it's very difficult to accept this. I just can't.

But okay, the team is more important than one man, BUT!! If we could sign Unai Emery or Pellegrini, etc.. but Vitoria? Vitoria and Gaitan/Salvio/etc ?! Vitoria in CL??!! Of course JJ was a simple Braga coach before joining SLB, but he already had a good EL experience, his Braga very good against Milan (not this weak Milan, but that really good team).

And Vitoria? Guimaraes was good in the first half of the season, but what happened then? Okay, the squad is weak, but even Braga finished higher, and their players are not stronger at all.

I see only one reason here - lack of money. Vieira refused to buy strong players, refused to increase the wage, maybe refused to offer a new contract to Maxi, and so on. We will sell Gaitan, take a cheap coach, will scream populist words about Our Young Talents, Which Must Have a Chance.

And will become an ordinary team. Just ordinary.

Sad.
miklos-russia
First Team

Postby Ed Gomes » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:58 pm

How quickly people forget. It wasn't to long ago that people were pushing JJ out the door. Losing to Porto and then Europa, and then the Taca. Remember that. The sky is not falling, and Benfica will be fine.
I too would like to thank JJ for the hard work he put in. I was in the camp that wanted him here, even though I also believed we could have done better. The one thing that JJ was able to do was increase our players value. Witzel, DiMaria, Coentrao, Matic, Enzo, even Markovic and etc... He was part of that great transfer boom we've seen. Hopefully the new manager will be able to continue that boom.

Vitoria is a risky proposition and I for one don't want Marco Silva. We can do better in finding our next manager. There's candidates out there, so go get them.

I absolutely love the following from BdC;
"Todavia, ao trabalhar com Marco Silva, vi-me involuntariamente envolvido num conjunto de episódios em que este demonstrou, no nosso entendimento, falta de respeito para com o clube e para com a estrutura que com ele trabalhava."

I can't wait for BdC and JJ to work together. It's going to be incredible when the "Maca Podres" will try to weasel out of paying off JJ contract for "just cause".
By the way, a completely classless move, in which Marco Silva should pursue all avenues to make sure he gets his money.

Next campaign will be interesting.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby BC/SLB » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:32 am

I have to say I agree with Miklos' point. LFV is going for the cheap option of a local coach, and it seems more and more like Vitoria is going to be the one appointed. I haven't seen any mention of foreign coaches at all in any media reports. A real lack of ambition being shown by our president I have to say, SLB is a massive club, a top 10 European club, and there's many experienced foreign coaches who could definitely be tempted to take over for less salary then we were paying JJ. Guys who could really make an impression on the Champions League, what we badly need.

Instead LFV looks set to try and make a repeat of the JJ situation a few years back, get some virtual unknown local coach, with no European experience and hope this works out a second time. Even under JJ, it didnt really work out right away, did it? He did win the Liga in his first season, but it really took us 4-5 years under JJ to really become successful, is this what people again? Taking a few seasons for an inexperienced coach to find his feet in his first job at a big club, and in the meanwhile Porto winning more league titles? This is what I fear will happen if Vitoria is appointed.

I would much rather an experienced foreign coach, who has worked at big clubs already and who has a proven track record, especially in European play. We are a huge club who can pay quite a high salary to the coach, and there's plenty of these candidates available (some of them even out of work at the moment). We need to show more ambition if we really want to get to the next level imo.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:52 am

While I fully agree a European manager would be great for the champions league. It is expected that type of manager would also want some CL ready players from the transfer market. With the third party ownership ending, they won't get that. Supposedly the biggest issue LFV had with JJ was his lack of willingness to use the youth players we are developing such as B.Silva. So those kids forced a move out and the club needed to sell someone. LFV is hell bent on having a manager that utilizes the academy of the club.

I'll also add that if it is a domestic manager, they will know how the liga works, what's expected, and where the pitfalls are. Lopetegui is an example of a higher profile manager that was given reinforcements. Did great in the CL and made it to the quarters, fell flat in Portugal and as a result they won nothing.

I also read again that Rui Vitoria is the likely manager. JJ was a manager for 20 years and was only a runner up in a Taca once. Rui has been around for 10 years, he's won a Taca, runners up in a league cup, won promotion with a small club. He's done we'll with limited resources, so I don't think he' s a nobody. He's clearly someone that has experience in our liga and already knows our club from having managed the juniors there. So if he is signed up, he will be coming to the club with more under his belt when what JJ had coming into our club. Plus he's a Benfiquista lol.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:22 pm

Well we shall see, but suffice to say if Vitoria is appointed I will have no big expectations for next season at all. He doesn't look to me like one of these top coaches who would win the Liga in his first season and looks like he would need a couple of seasons to find his feet.

He took Vitoria G to fifth place this season, which is not exactly a great feat is it? Vitoria G expect to finish at least 5th every season, and preferably higher.... a great feat woulda been to take them to 3rd. Paulo Fonseca is a good recent example of a coach who did well at a lesser club but then looked totally out of his depth at Porto, who like us, expect to win every game and where the pressure is tenfold than that at smaller clubs.

Let's face it guys, the level of competiveness in our Liga is not the highest relatively speaking, therefore I think an experienced foreign coach wouldn't take long to get to grips to dealing with it's demands, with the talented squad we will have next season. Crucially though, an experienced foreign coach will know about playing in Europe, and be flexible and experienced enough to change tactics for playing in the CL (something JJ was awful at). I'm sick and tired of us failing in the group stages of the CL, and being associated with the EL. Benfica is a historic/traditional Champions League club (only 5 other clubs have appeared in more finals than us) and this needs to continue.

Lastly LFV mentions the local talented kids, but I'm not too convinced. Yes JJ didn't want to play them (and that was one of my biggest criticisms of him)...but it's LFV and the club that have been selling them off. It was LFV who sold Andre Gomes, Bernardo, Cancelo, and now likely Cavaleiro too. These guys shoulda been the future of our team, but he's the one who sold them off.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Stay_Toasty » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:51 pm

I can see how LFV could have wanted to have more youth players in the squad. LFV has had his hands tied if its the truth. If he fired JJ, people would have gone crazy saying he is killing the club...that he didnt have the best interests in the club. Now with JJ leaving, he can find a coach that will utilize those players.
As far as it being LFV who sold those players, Benfica needs to sell players. Thats just the truth. You cant have players like Bernardo Silva rotting in Benfica B losing value. The Cavaleiro rumors were from when JJ was the coach. Maybe our new manager will have plans for him.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby Mdot » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:16 pm

BC/SLB when he took over Vitoria G. when it was on the verge of bankruptcy and they couldn't pay wages. They had a bunch of rejects from other clubs and the second division and some people were thinking they would get relegated. Somehow he turned the club around. Last season he won the Taca and this year he they did amazing. Expectations for club was mid-table based on their resources.

He's done more with Vitoira then what JJ did before joining Benfica. So they are very similar in level of quality coming in expect Vitoria has more knowledge of the club than JJ did when he joined.

However I will agree with you that it can back fire like it did with Paulo at Porto and all the other Sporting managers. Heck JJ had a tight title win against Braga, had we made it further in Europe in our first season he could have dropped the ball. The pressure to succeed at Porto or Benfica is huge and when one club has just a small point lead, fans attack their new manager in no time. Which is why regardless of who is hired. The Super Cup win against Sporting would be huge and a good start would have everyone supporting. If they lose the Super Cup and are not impressive early on, I think whoever it is will be eaten alive.

As for selling players, I do believe JJ refused to play certain players. Sometimes for good reasons and sometimes out of pure arrogance. He kept making it public he wanted to keep his talent and wanted better talent, so selling the youth he refused to play allowed us to keep other players. Not a bad deal but it was against what the club has been saying for a few years now. Also it now leaves us with a very old squad. However now we'll see if this is true with the next manager or LFV talking shit.

I know it's only been a little bit of time but it's frustrating not having anything official yet on the manager front. Supposedly papers are saying it will be announced on Wednesday that it's Vitoira.
Mdot

Previous

Return to Latest News and General Discussion