Switch to full style
Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in
Post a reply

Renato Sanches

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:13 am

Is it just me or is this kid legit? He's 18 years old and is unbelieveable. I heard a woman this morning on Benfica TV campare him to Eusebio, I think that is a bit pre mature (especially on the anniversary of our King's death). We complained that we needed an 8 we now have one. I just hope we don't go off and sell him during the winter transfer window because Benfica needs him.

It's Sanches, not SANCHEZ! he's not Mexican or Spanish.

Re: Renato Sanches

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:02 pm

just imagine he keeps developing, at the age of 22-23 he will no doubt be one of the best players in the world!!!

But i think we are already putting to much pressure on a 18 year old, whos from one day to the next becoming our best player!!!

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:13 pm

Kid doesn't seem 18 with the way he's playing. If he never passes this level of talent he will still be a great player but at 18 the sky is the limit on how far he can go. Love that the club slapped a 80million buyout. Hopefully with less spending this year, new dollars for all these tv rights contracts, we should be able to keep him for several years to come.

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:39 pm

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:54 pm

He's been a great find this campaign. I know fans will go crazy and disagree, but if we're able to get 50 to 60 million for him now, it's a no brainer. Don't want to see him go, but you can't walk away from that. You can argue that fee will drop instead of increase.
Just take a look at William at Sporting. They were stubborn and hung onto him, and his might have dropped. Granted he's one of the reasons behind their successful season. You could say the same for Patricio.

Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:24 am

I have to agree with Ed Gomes. As much as it would be very disappointing to see yet another young Seixal talent get sold (i.e Bernardo, Andre Gomes, Cancelo, Cavaleiro etc etc etc), I think if some club is really going to pay a crazy fee like 50-60 million for such a young and inexperienced player, we would have to accept. We are still in big debt, and the sooner we pay off the debt the better for the long-term future of the club.

Renato Sanches is a very good player, potentially world class, and there is no doubt he has heavily improved the team since breaking into it back in November. But he is not indispensable or irreplaceable by any means (the strength of Vitoria's Benfica this season has been the collective rather than individuals), and I think 60 million would be too much to turn down, especially since it would probably enable us to keep other key players like Gaitan.

Tue May 10, 2016 10:59 am

So Renato today confirmed as bought by Bayern Munich on a five year contract for 35 million euros. It's been totally obvious he would leave for the last few months now, so I'm not at surprised. What I am disappointed in is the fee. He has a clause of 80 million, how has he been allowed to leave for less than half of that? And when Manchester United were apparently willing to pay something like 60 million.

Ok to get 35 million euros for a player who has 6 months of a senior career, and who most of us had hardly heard of before the season started, does seem like very good business. But I still think we should have held out for a lot more than that, considering the large number of rich clubs after him and watching him every week. It looks like yet another super speedy sale by LFV and will be another player we let go for less than we could have, had we played harder ball. Imo, Di Maria, Matic, Garay, Andre Gomes among others were all allowed to leave too cheaply, and Sanches joins this list now.

On the positive side, Renato's form has really dropped in the last month or so and he is definitely not indispensable to our team. I think the money we get for him should enable us to hold on to other key players like Gaitan and Jonas for example. We will need to buy a new dynamic CM to replace him in the squad, but I'm also expecting better things from Talisca next season. So Renato leaving has been inevitable for some time now, the lower fee is disappointing, but we should also look on the bright side.

Tue May 10, 2016 12:28 pm

35M up-front + 45M in potential bonuses!!!...CRAZY!!!

I read it wrong the first time too...

Tue May 10, 2016 2:41 pm

Ok I read it wrong too! I had understood 35 million up front, and up to 45 in total with added bonuses (i.e another 10 million in bonuses)...I didn't realize it was up to another 45 million in bonuses. If that's the case then a very good deal indeed.

Wed May 11, 2016 8:56 am

SIC's Tempo Extra Rui Santos says that BENFICA will receive at least 60M EUR!

35M up-front and 25M after playing 20 games!

Only the remaining 20M is if he is part of the FIFA World Team of the Year ?and/or? (SIC says he just needs to be nominated for the) FIFA Ballon d'Or

Rui Santos also said that it would be ridiculous if Renato isn't picked for the EURO now...I got tickets to the EURO and I want to see him there now that he is not playing on Sunday

Fri May 13, 2016 11:35 am

My understanding is that it's 35 million + up to an additional 45 million based on some targets over the years. In a perfect scenario its 80 million!!! Even if Renato fails and can only hit 50% of targets, that would make it almost 60 million.

I hate seeing young talent go so quickly but for that price point, we would have to be stupid to not sell. Sadly the money some clubs are making is making it very hard to compete in Europe, so these types of deals provide some critical support for our club.

Here's hoping the kid becomes the next big thing at Bayern which be amazing for Portugal.
Post a reply