Rui Vitória - Manager

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Rui Vitória - Manager

Postby Mdot » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:35 pm

Name: Rui Carlos Pinho da Vitória
Date Of Birth: 16 April 1970
Place Of Birth: Alverca do Ribatejo, Portugal
Current Club: Benfica Manager
Wiki Page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rui_Vit%C3%B3ria

Honors:

Fátima - Third Division title: 2008–09

Paços de Ferreira - Taça da Liga: Runner-up 2010–11

Guimarães - Taça de Portugal: 2012–13 title & Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: Runner-up 2013

It's official that Rui Vitória has signed a 3 year contract, here to many years of success & titles :benficaflag
Mdot

Re: Rui Vitória - Manager

Postby BC/SLB » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:10 pm

Well I wish I was as satisfied with this appointment as you, Mdot. I will support him as the new manager as I would any new manager at the club. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but at this point I haven't got a lot of expectation for next season. Certainly not in Europe. To me its just too risky an appointment, and we risk the possibility of taking a few steps back from the progress we have made recently and allowing Porto to start dominating again.

I find it strange that no other managers, certainly no foreign ones, were seriously considered (at least there were no media reports anyway). Quite strange this for such a big club as SLB. It seems LFV has a gut feeling about Vitoria, and didn't even consider anyone else (and there's loads of other exprienced coaches out there, some of them properly available). Let's hope this gut feeling is spot on, because we've gotten used to success at our club in recent seasons and this needs to continue.

Good luck to him! Carrega Benfica!
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:06 am

I will agree that Europe could be a write off this season. Keep in mind that in JJ's first season, all we did was get past the round of 16 in Europa. With us retaining most of our talent plus some of these other players coming on board, expectation from me is a third back to back title but anything else is a bonus in my book with a new manager.

I think the only foreign manager was Eriksson stating he had a call from SLB but I have no clue if that's just paper talk.

For years now LFV has been wanting development through youth. This is the guy to do it. I think what he did the last couple of seasons with Guimarães has been impressive considering the average age of his team was around 23 years of age.

While at Benfica's youth side he managed players such as Miguel Vítor. Bernardo Silva, David Simão, Nélson Oliveira, Gonçalo Guedes, Marcos Lopes. If we still had Lopes and Silva, this team would be looking really good.

I'm not sure if he had managed João Pereira, Manuel Fernandes or if they had been promoted to the main team already.

I'm liking the idea of Nelson and Guedes playing for their old manager. Vitoria having an idea of how our youth system prepares players, he could be the guy to finally fulfill LFV's plans of transitioning several youth players to the main team. Us retaining our main guys plus building could allow Benfica to take the club to the next level of keeping good talent and filling gaps with youth which will save us money on the transfer market and ideally allow those funds to go into salaries to keep players longer.
Mdot

Postby inMotionSLB » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:20 pm

Welcome Rui Vitória - here's to three years of success!
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Mdot » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:58 am

I was reading an interesting article today. Rui Vitoria basically stating that we have anywhere from 5 to 7 quality youth players we can promote to the main squad. I expect that he will be a very different manager in comparison to how JJ treated out youth system which was pretty much ignored under his watch.

I did like that he also put some good pressure saying that these 5 to 7 players will have opportunities to play but it will be up to them to keep their spot. I know in past seasons JJ barely would use our youth players, as soon as the main guys returned, they would be sent away. While guys like Nelson have been up and down on loan, I recall last summer he didn't get one chance to even try to earn a spot. Outside of the Portuguese b-team kids that people have talked about, I expect guys like Cristante, Mukhtar, and Rodríguez to be targets for playing time.

Time will tell if he is successful with our youth but the first indicator will be the preseason. If he starts giving some new kids playing time, that will outstanding. Even if we lose some of these preseason games, that's what preseason is for.
Mdot

Postby matt34nj » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:07 pm

I will spot you Guedes and J-Rod. Anyone want to guess at the other 5? I say Joao Teixera and Nuno Santos might be 2 of them, possibly Andrade, Helder Costa, Lindelof, and Ruben Pinto too. Did Rui Fonte suffer a serious knee injury at the end of the season? I know there were high hopes for him as well...

Also, they could be referring to guys like Mukhtar and Cesar who alternated between the A and B teams.

I am curious what other people think, especially those who know the B team better than I do.
matt34nj
First Team

Postby Ed Gomes » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:05 am

Be careful what you wish for. Fans tend to forget that a very low percentage of players that excel in the youth ranks, actually come through. And it has nothing to do with opportunities.
Nelson has proven to not being good enough. He's gone to several places where he could have shined, yet disappointed. He falls in line with numerous of players that stalled out in their careers. That's why a guy like Quaresma is so frustrating.

I for one would have preferred to have gone outside of Portugal. Why couldn't Benfica pull Emery away from Sevilla? We have plenty more of ambition and expectations. In La Liga, if they do tremendously well, he might finish third, but will most likely be fighting for a CL Qualifier or Europa spot.
Toral has also done a great job at Villarreal, as has Valverde at Bilbao. If he was truly in trouble at Roma, I would have preferred Rudi Garcia. Montella at Fiorentina has also done a nice job.

I don't want to underestimate Vitoria, but he hasn't had to deal with this type of pressure before. People will point to JJ not having that experience, but you can't compare them. That can only be done once the results are in. I'm of the belief that there were better options out there.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:10 am

Rui's salary just came out, he earns just under 1million meaning the club is saving 3.9 million in comparison to JJ for salary. I could careless about salary, as long as it means we win titles but hopefully this extra cash can help us keep the right players. At the end of the day this is an improvement for Rui and if we win titles, its an improvement for us.

I agree with the youth success rate being low but at the very least give the kids a chance. Bernardo Silva, Ivan, and Gomes all barely got a shot. In Gomes case, JJ only started playing him after we sold him. For Ivan he was forced due to injury. When you look at preseason or times we could have given these kids a chance he just wouldn't do it. So at the very least I like what Rui was saying that he'll give them a chance but they have to earn their spot. As long as we are giving them a shot, its up to them to prove themselves. If Bernardo was a top player in the French league and wasn't even seeing our bench due to JJ, that's clearly a gap in our management.
Mdot

Postby inMotionSLB » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:17 pm

We've got quality players in the B team and my only worry is the he said only 5 to 7!

But again I have to be realistic that we can't have too many inexperienced players as it just won't work.

I've been to a few u-19 and B team games and we have some potential gems waiting to burst through...

This will tell if it was JJ who just didn't like our youngsters or if it's something embedded in the club that's stopping them moving forward.
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Return to Latest News and General Discussion