Switch to full style
Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in
Post a reply

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2015

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:06 am

Ed Gomes wrote:At this point, I think that we have no choice but to keep Nico. He's our only creative player that is able to run at defenders, and create on his own. Fingers crossed nobody from Russia comes for him

nobody will come, only zenit can afford to buy him, but: 1) league became weaker, less money than before, 2) there is a limit (5 russians + 6 foreigners in a starting lineup), so they simply won't have a place for him.

And I don't think that he will leave Benfica this or next season.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:12 am

I think much is going to depend on how quickly Vitoria finds his feet this season and whether or not he turns out to be the talented coach that LFV clearly thinks he is. Because while I repeat again, that this is likely the least strongest squad we've had in some years, there is still enough quality in the squad to be able to win this league. A lot of people are writing off the squad but I still think we have the best midfielder/winger in the league (Gaitan), the best forward (Jonas), certainly the best first choice central defence duo and one of the two best keepers in the league. So we still have enough quality to retain our title, but it's all going to depend very much on Vitoria's abilities as coach and to create a togetherness and unity within the squad.

I too am pleased that Djuricic remained with the squad. We are really lacking a number 10 influence in the team, a dynamic AM who can start attacks from central positions. Djuricic should be given a chance to show what he can do in that position. With Talisca and Taarabt also in the squad, I think Pizzi should be reverted back to the wings, his natural position, and he can provide cover on either flank. Clearly though the sooner Salvio recovers from injury the better, to walk straight into that right wing position.

As for full back, it's an issue for sure. In all honesty, despite his shaky start last season, I was pleased with Eliseu in the second half of last season. He's got pace and mobility, a goal threat with his shots, and had improved defensively. If he can get that level from the second half of last season back then we'd be ok with him there. The problem is we only have 4 full backs in the squad and Silvio is very injury prone. If he gets injured again then we'd only have 3 options for full back. I think in the January transfer window we definitely have to get another full back in for cover.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:52 pm

We won the league last season with this squad. The missing parts at the moment are Lima, Maxi, and an injured Salvio that will return at some point. Those are 3 critical players. I think Semedo is not at the level of Maxi but the kid could very easily replace that taletn level as the season progresses. If Jonas starts clicking with one of the other strikers (I'm confident he will) that leave the RW position.

I fully agree with BC that we have the talent to fight for the title. We have lots of question markets on the other new guys that we signed. If any of the new guys pan out, it could be the difference maker. I think this international break was perfect timing as it will give Vitoria another week to train with these guys to get us back at top form.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:29 pm

If Gaitan ever leaves, I would put Djuricic in his position. The guy needs minutes he's still only 21
He would be great on the wing or as a 10 :slbscarf

Sat May 28, 2016 12:16 am

Can we get a Summer 2016 Transfer Window page up? I am chomping at the bit to discuss some of these rumors flying around.
Post a reply