Summer Transfer Window 2015

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2015

Postby Mdot » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:32 am

I thought I had a handle on club finances but with seeing Sporting supposedly on the verge of bankruptcy a couple seasons back all the sudden dropping millions in longer term contract commitments has me not understanding what's going on. If they don't win the title, they could in a couple of season be talking about massive sell offs.

For us I just hope its a case of us trying to be smarter with our cash and continuing to pay the debt off. Just have a hard time seeing if we are actually making any progress on that or if we're just spending too much funds on the other sports within the club.

As for the transfer department, Siqueira is a good player but I don't think I would have wanted him. Don't get me wrong he's good but part of me wants us to take a risk on Semedo. Kid looked really good in the preseason. If he's playing that would give us either Eliseu or Silvio as a RB which I think works.

Cavaleiro is a player we shouldn't have let go. We need another RW. Everyone else is left footed, which is why Talisca, Pizzi, Ola John and Carcela all look a bit off there. Issue is if we spend big on a RW, what happens when Salvio is fit. We have the same issues with Samaris who came in because of Fejsa's injury however it's clear both are talented and both should play. To me that could result in one player pushing his way out of the club for more playing time. Just wish we kept Cavaleiro as this could have been his moment to get playing time. So I have a feeling we're sticking to what we have in every department outside of the striker area.

With Di Maria passing his medical and LFV talking about us signing a higher profile striker. I got a feeling those rumors of Nico with cash plus Chicharito are becoming real. With the amount of LW we have, it gives me the feeling the club is trying to cover themselves in that department. Even if we keep Nico, it does seem the club is publicly saying they are in the market for a striker.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:42 pm

As for our finances, they should be ok, even if we're in debt. Benfica has more revenue from marketing, attendance and TV compared to the rest of the clubs in Portugal. We also rank at the top in revenue from transfers. I just feel that LFV just throws a lot of players out there and hopes a few stick.
What is very telling is how far we've fallen in Market Value. Off one of the sites I trust, we are now 3rd, behind Porto and Sporting in Squad Market Value.
http://www.transfermarkt.com/liga-nos/s ... bewerb/PO1

As for Porto, Maxi was free, most of Cassillas salary is being paid by Real and he was also free, and many of their guys are on loan or they only hold a percentage of the players. They have spent 26.6 million euros, but they also made 92 million euros in sales.

Sporting has been linked with plenty, but they've only spent 7.9 million euros on transfers so far.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:10 am

Very cool site. Was a bit surprised on the difference in value between the 3 main keepers from each club. I think Patricio is a bit overvalued. Curious how often the update their values. should check it out in the halfway point the season.

Looks like we maybe signing Mitroglou. I had read a few days that Sporting were picking him up but we somehow cut them off on the deal. I recall he looked good in the CL last season. Pics of him in Lisboa for his medical at the moment. At 27, he has good experience to balance out our thin striker options. I still want Johnny to get some time and I honestly think Nelson is done unless he just stays on the bench as our 4th striker.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:33 am

So Mitroglou has been confirmed on a season long loan. When I first heard he was close to signing a couple of days back, I wasn't overly excited because he wasn't the signing I wanted for our attack. That being said I had been impressed with what little i've seen of him for Olympiacos/Greece in recent years, and I've recently seen some youtube videos and have been even more impressed. I'm not naive enough to base too much on youtube highlights, but nevertheless he certainly looks to have the potential to offer a lot to our attack.

He has one hell of a shot, with both feet but especially his left foot, reminds me a little of Cardozo but quicker and with more movement. He has physical presence in the box which could be useful to us when we need to play more directly, and with a shot like that the coach should just tell him to shoot on sight!

Well I think we need 2 more signings, a quality left back and a creative attacking wide player to cover for the expected departure of Gaitan. Even if Gaitan ends up staying we still need another winger in the squad with Salvio out in the long term. My personal choices would be Fabio Coentrao and Markovic on season long loans. Both would be difficult to secure because of wage demands, but not impossible. Both would add real quality to the squad.

Most of the press is declaring that Sunday will be Nico's last match for us. This may well be true but let's not forget that according to the press he "has been leaving" for quite a few years now and is still a Benfica player at the moment. I have also been reading that Man United are close to signing Pedro, who is Van Gaal's personal choice to replace Di Maria. United are unlikely to sign both Pedro and Gaitan, and will anyone else match Nico's release clause? We shall see...

Lastly, I want us to win the Super cup even more now after reading some idiotic comments from JJ. It's easy to see how so many people have gotten irritated with his arrogance all these years. He recently said that, firstly, if Sporting really wanted Mitroglou they would have had him already. What bullshit, Sporting had been chasing him for weeks and they didn't manage to secure him. Secondly he claims that nothing has changed at Benfica since he left and that his ideas remain driving the team. Let's win this cup to shut him up lol!
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Ed Gomes » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:27 pm

Mdot, that website is one of my go to places for statistics, for all European futebol.

BC/SLB, I don't anyone we sold off to come back. Coentrao hasn't been a viable player for a while now, so I wouldn't want to take a chance on him. I do like Markovic, and was disappointed we sold him off so quickly, but we couldn't turn away from the amount of money Liverpool paid.

I acually think that Man United will go for Gaitan ahead of Pedro. Barca is holding out for 30 million, which I don't think Man United will pay that. Pedro's current market value is hovering around 20 million. Gaitan is valued around 27 million and I believe his clause is 35 million, but Benfica would probably take 20 to 25 million for him. (all amounts in euros).
I would be disappointed in losing Nico, since I think he's our most creative player, with nobody ready to come in a take on that role.

Mitroglou will sit up top and Jonas will be able to sit in behind him, which is his preferred spot anyways. But that would move Talisca to the bench, or to the left side should Nico leave.
A lot of chirping about Jonas still possibly leaving, which I don't like. He did really well last season, and we need that, "hopefully" certainty out there. Especially if Nico goes.

I'm still holding out hope that Djuricic, gets a shot and flourishes. He was highly touted before coming to Benfica, as much as Matic was. We might still be able to profit from it on the field and eventual transfer.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby BC/SLB » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:18 pm

Well if Gaitan does get sold then it better not be for a penny less than his release clause of 35 million. If he goes for less then it will simply confirm how LFV is not a hard bargainer at all for our best talent and simply lets the rich clubs raid them every summer, and they often go for less than their worth: Di Maria, Matic and Garay being examples. Pinto Da Costa always outdoes LFV in this regard, it just has to be said.

I don't think Coentrao would be a risk in the slightest. He is a top class left back, one of the very best in the world. Things haven't worked out for him at Madrid but that doesn't change his world class talent (in fact I think he's actually a better overall player than Marcelo, who keeps him on the bench!). Furthermore he's a total Benfiquista and wouldn't need any settling in time, and would give us some much needed width down the left with his constant running. He'd be a great addition to the squad but realistically his salary would likely be a stumbling block for us. Regardless we need to sign a leftback without question because we need more depth at full back.

It seems that even after signing Mitroglou the club is still after another striker, as today there are reports the club are still chasing Raul Jimenez. This must mean it's curtains for Nelson Oliveira and he doesn't feature in Vitoria's plans. This is what would be great about getting Markovic back on loan, he's a winger but would also act as an addition to the attack as he weighs in with goals and can even play as a second striker too. His versatility in attack would be very useful to the squad.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:54 am

I have to agree that it would be a piss off to see Nico sold for 20million. He's such a key player, United can afford the buyout and we shouldn't be on the market to sell, so they will have to meet that if they want him. However if they gave us a player in the deal, I could handle a bit less then the 35million if it's a fair trade.

Abola was talking about how Coentrao is not in Real's plan and however The Marca is saying that Real have no offers and he wants to fight for a spot. I think he's a quality player and in many cases has been better then Marcelo. I would gladly take the kid back, he would need to take a salary cut like Rui Costa did, but he's a pure Benfica player.

I've heard stories that in the Portuguese national team training camps, if you yell out Fabio, he won't look, if you yell out "Hey Benfiquista" he'll look at you right away and likely give you an autograph. The guy is a Benfica player first before he considers himself a Portuguese player. It just goes to show how much this club means to him. If we don't get him now, I would like to get him back in a couple of years. We need players like him at the club.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:26 pm

Well nothing was put up for the Super Taca, so I will make some comments about it here. So what did you guys think? Yet another crap performance and result from the team this summer, but this time it matters because (a). we lost out on a trophy (albeit an unimportant one) (b). we've allowed that imbecile Jorge Jesus to gloat and feel vindicated about his decision to abandon ship.

Sporting played better than us and deserved to win, I don't think anyone can argue about that. We did lack some luck for sure, missed a few good opportunities and should have had a definite penalty for that foul on Gaitan in the box. But overall we just didnt play well enough to win the match, and there was a bunch of question marks raised in different areas.

So how impressed are you guys so far then with Rui Vitoria as our new coach? My gut feeling when he was given the job was that he wasn't the best man for the job, and that feeling hasn't changed after this pre-season. It's still early days and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but at the same time we simply can't afford a slow start to the season, a slow start in our Liga can definitely mean losing out on it, and we have to make a solid start.

He made some clear errors yesterday I felt. Ola John on the right? Everyone knows by now he can only play on the left. Pizzi should have started and we looked much better once he came on. Sporting were playing with a make-shift DM in Adrien (he's a number 8 not a number 6), there should have been a clear strategy from Vitoria to exploit this situation, but there didn't seem to be any. And then when he finally decided to go 4-4-2, the striker he brought on was Mitroglou who only arrived at the club a few days ago, when it should clearly have been Jonathan Rodriguez who has spent the whole pre-season with the club. These were all basic and costly errors from Vitoria imo.

I've said it already and say it even louder now after seeing the match last night. (a). We need a few more signings in key positions (b). we can't let Gaitan get sold. If Nico goes where will the creativity come from? We totally lacked creativity last night even with him there, imagine with him gone. Talisca was terrible last night, it's almost like we were playing with 10 men such was his total lack of contribution. Bring on Taarabt or Djuricic for that position, on that evidence. And we definitely need a new full back who can attack, neither full back did any attacking last night.

Anyway the good news is that this was just the Super Taca, which is really just a glorified friendly. Let Sporting celebrate as if they just won the CL lol! Hopefully we step it up in the matches that really matter. People will be writing us off now which could actually be beneficial as it takes a lot of pressure off us. But we need those signings and we need Vitoria to improve and hit the ground running in the Liga.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:04 pm

The match thread for the SuperTaca was up, I've also added the first game this weekend against Estoril. Let me know if you can't see it?

I posted this on the Liga match thread but I'll post it again. Everyone forgets preseason quickly, the supertaca was a piss-off but now is when each game is worth points. We know how our liga is and we know that we must take every 3 points possible to have a shot at the title. If Vitoria starts us off with wins here, I think he will have the full support and everyone will forget about the shit we've seen this past month. However if he loses in this game, I fully expect some fans will start attacking him hard.

Vitoria has till the end of Sept to show us our team playing at a level that they should be playing at. I'm confident we'll get a win this week and the fans will continue to support the club.

Our biggest weakness is our right winger. We keep throwing in guys like Talisca or Ola John into spots they are not comfortable with. I agree that Pizzi must start the game, he passes the ball where as those other two tend to hold it too long.

Also the Portuguese papers are really increasing the rumors of Fabio coming back to SLB. I think we are ok on the fullback position but if he joined that would make those positions solid.
Mdot

Postby matt34nj » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:55 pm

MDOT:

I am experiencing the same problem. For some reason, I can't gain access to the matchday section of the forum. For me to do so, I actually have to click on your profile, and then scroll down to where it lists your most active forum as the matchday forum. That is the only way I can find a matchday game thread (unless a direct link is posted on the Planet Benfica twitter account...).

I have tried every which was to search the forum to get the matchday threads but have been unsuccessful. I am glad this was brought up as it has really been a pain in the ass.

Hope it can be fixed...

PS- I think we are good at RB with Semedo, Almeida, and even Silvio as cover, but I agree we need another LB.
matt34nj
First Team

Postby Mdot » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:27 am

That would explain why each match day has seen less posts. I'll ask the guys to see if I'm doing something wrong.
Mdot

Postby d20 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:03 pm

Jimenez!! let's see, how much will he score.
Were there any mexicans before him in SLB?
d20
Junior

Postby matt34nj » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:15 pm

Jiminez official! Not sure about this Meli guy from Boca that we are linked with though; he is apparently a DM. We have enough depth with Christante and Teixera, IMO. And as for Attacking mids, we have Tarrabt and Djuricic for depth. How many mids can we carry?

But we still need another LB and depth at RW. Too bad we couldn't bag that kid from Partizan (Zivkovic) we were close to signing back in June...
matt34nj
First Team

Postby BC/SLB » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:38 pm

So Jimenez has officially joined. And considering the amount of money spent on him it would seem he's the club's choice for the starting 11. We shall see. Looking at his scoring record for Atletico last season it would seem he was a major flop, 1 goal in over 20 appearances. However if you look into the context and realise that the vast majority of his appearances were from off the bench late in the second half, then it's understandable.

Some players have a difficult first season in Europe, but his scoring statistics for Club America and the Mexico national team are impressive, and after having seen some videos of him, I think him and Jonas could strike up a good attacking duo.

There's a clause in the deal that looks a little wierd though. Apparently we've spent 9 million for only 50% ownership of the player, and Atletico have reserved the right to buy the player back in the future. So basically if he's a hit with us then Atleti can get him back off us. Not too crazy about those details but anyway one season at a time, and hopefully he hits the ground running.

I wonder if the club will keep 4 strikers in the squad or loan out Jonathan Rodriguez now? Personally I would keep him, he looks to have a lot of potential and has patiently waited for his chance with the B team since last season. I think 4 central strikers is the right number for a squad. All 4 strikers are quite different, giving us options up front.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Ed Gomes » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:36 am

By all accounts, Jimenez likes playing up top which would allow Jonas to play off him which is his preferred position. But since we've brought in Mitroglou, I would expect Jonathan and Nelson to go out on loan, unless all this chirping about Jonas leaving comes to fruition.

Let me add that a former transfer that never got a shot as a forward was Mora, who is once again killing it Argentina. Yes it's a lesser league and we did make 3.5 million euros off him.

A think that the luster is off Eliseu and Silvio. I also feel that Almeida has shown that he isn't a full time player. He should be filling that Amorim role as a late shut it down sub. If he grows into a full time player fine.
Wingbacks are a definite need as are Centerbacks.
I'm holding out hope that Cristante, who is still very young at 20, and Djuricic get their shot and come good. I would consider moving Pizzi to right wing, a position he's played before, in order to see what Talisca and/or Djuricic can do as Attacking Mids.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion