Summer Transfer Window 2015

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2015

Postby CowCoentrao » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:26 am

I think a loan would be best for Cristante. I like him, but there's too much competition in the midfield especially when we play 4-4-2. A full year of playing time would make him a real option next season.

LB is the priority for me. Other that that, the squad is good. I know not everyone likes Lisandro, but I think he'll improve.
CowCoentrao
Junior

Postby Mdot » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:03 am

I agree on loaning Cristante. The kid needs playing time and is clearly a top youth prospect. There is no chance in hell he'll see the field with the amount of quality we have at the moment. I've seen rumors of Juvi wanting to buy him, less we make some good cash on him, I say we hang on to the kid via a loan.

Lopes in the past two games has shown some good playing. I understand why people would have been worried about him but now I wouldn't mind seeing him continuing to start with Luisao. With Semedo filling in that RB position nicely, I think we're good for the LB position. As Eliseu returns to fitness and Silvio as an option, anyone else would mean we should sell. We will have Andre Almeida which can slot in on the left or right.

Unless we got Fabio back, I can't see us getting a drastic improvement. I don't think we'll go to the market to sign a LB meaning more guys sit on the bench payroll. I honestly think our buying activity in the market is done. Victor Andrade and Semedo are proof that the club wants to pull on its b-team to fill the gaps and yesterday it paid off. Our weakest spot is the RW and hopefully Andrade just filled that gap until Salvio is fit.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:47 pm

I would keep Cristante this season. It's gonna be a long season ahead and we'll be competing on 4 fronts and will need to rotate a lot. The kid is talented and is versatile enough to play at number 8 or number 6 which would be very useful for us. Having already let Amorim go out on loan, Cristante must be kept. Rather loan out Mukhtar or Joao Teixeira imo.

Some other thoughts: Semedo looked good although there were a few times when Estoril's left winger got in with lots of space. The kid has to work a bit on his defensive concentration but overall looks a very good prospect. Eliseu is our best current option for LB (cos of his pace) but I'd like to see us get another one in to add more depth to the position before the window is over.

I don't see why Vitoria keeps persisting with Ola John on the right. I'd put any of the other wingers there ahead of him! Andrade looked impressive after coming on, but i still don't know how ready he is to be starting matches just yet. A place in the squad and a super sub role yes, but starting regularly is another story. To me we still need to get another right winger in, perhaps just on loan for the season. There's still some mutterings about Markovic, which would be great...

Great for Mitroglou to get a goal on his debut. He mostly looked rusty which is understandable having just arrived, but he took his chance well when it really mattered. I still think after the money spent on Jimenez, that he will soon be the first choice centre forward. But Mitroglou could be a good asset to bring off the bench, with his power and direct play. Lastly Gaitan showed last night how much we'd miss him if he goes, his assist for the last goal was sensational. Talk of him leaving has died down a bit lately, if we manage to hold on to him it would be a great bonus.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Ed Gomes » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:56 pm

Whether Nico goes or not, we really a creative player to come in. I think that Talisca could be that player, but he'll be more through the middle. I feel putting him out wide would narrow the field and stifle him.
It seems as if we've been looking for a left-back for a while now. The luster has come off Eliseu and Silva, who haven't been good enough. I don't think that Almeida is good enough, and gets exposed when he starts.
I for one, don't think Coentrao is an option at this time. There is no guarantee that he'll be at his best, due to injuries and lack of play at Real. I would rather go find a new transfer, that could enrich our coffers.
Again, not a big fan of guys coming back so soon after cashing in on them. Markovic has no future at Liverpool, but I don't want to give back any money for him.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:55 am

There have been rumors for a bit of Al Ahli of Dubai wanting to buy Nico. According to the papers, the middle eastern club triggered his 35 million releases clause which left Nico open to leave with an offer of a 7 million annual salary.

Great news is that unlike so many players that case cash over career, Nico refused the offered and would prefer to stay at SLB. I bet if it was Real or another big European club with a large salary offer, he would likely take it but for now he's a SLB player!

The only other story I see floating is on Djuricic going to AC Milan. Supposedly we are holding out on a 12million buyout so it's believed they are working towards a loan option.
Mdot

Postby d20 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:58 am

rumours about Ansaldi again, like in 2012. "three years later". I hope, we wont hear about him in 2018 lol
16 matches in total during last two seasons, also he is 28. Coentrao - 27, and he won't be a lot cheaper, than Ansaldi.
LB position was a problem since Coentrao left Benfica, so he must solve this problem.

In Russian PL there was an amazing trick by CSKA. Their striker Doumbia scored 83 goals in 128 games (real star!) and was sold in Roma (for 15m or so). He played in Italy as a shit (2 goals in 13 games, boooo from fans) and was LOANED back to CSKA. You saw it, he already scored in Lisbon against Sporting. Sometimes it happens in european football, but here it looked like a genius trick, also because CSKA really needed a striker and didnt have too much money to buy a star.

Would be great to loan Markovic, Coentrao and some other players. What did Markovic try to find in EPL? It's not his championship, his skills will never work there.
d20
Junior

Postby Stay_Toasty » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:33 am

It looks like the front office is definitely looking to make some moves and add talent before the window closes. Iturbe has been rumored and he fills a need. It would be nice to have a former Porto player considering Maxi went to Porto and JJ went to Sporting, but idk if he would be a big game changer. He was once the next messi, never played at Porto, played well at Verona, but then became average at Roma again. He is still 22 so it is worth the chance if we can get him.
It looks like Cristante will go out on loan which would be ideal. The midfield is packed, but he is way to talented to not even be on the bench for our team. He needs playing time, and not getting that would be a disservice him and the club. Also, Nelson Oliveira will likely move to a team in Portugal which is necessary considering all we've added at striker. Lindelof might move as well.
Finally, at LB we have been rumored with Ansaldi and Coentrao. Obviously id like to get Coentrao as he is a Benfiquista and would give everything for the club but he is injury prone, and Ansaldi wouldnt be a bad second option.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby inMotionSLB » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:17 pm

Siqueira is back on the radar now. I hate leaving key areas that we need to strengthen at last minute, really poor planning
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Ed Gomes » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:05 am

Poor planing indeed.
- Almeida is the Amorim replacement. The decent enough to fill in or come on for defensive help, but gets exposed starting.
- A lot of support for Silvio and Eliseu got great support due to the Portuguese backing, but neither is good enough.
- We also had no plan for Maxi's departure.
- Still no additional creative player that could take on defenders, in midfield. If Nico goes it'll look bleak. I'm baffled that Djuricic still hasn't gotten a shot. I can only imagine he's been completely awful in training.
- Which means we might see all three strikers on the field at once. Not good.

On a side note, I was happy to see that Cristante might stay. I have a feeling he'll get a shot, should things continue.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Last day of the transfer window, so far no surprises and it looks like we'll keep Nico again which is critical for us. Was hoping we would off load some of the extra players we are not using.
Mdot

Postby inMotionSLB » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:32 pm

English window closes tomorrow, so no one is safe until all windows close!

Also, we signed a couple of randoms for the B team like everyone predicted...
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby BC/SLB » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:51 pm

Well keeping Gaitan is very good news for us and vital if we going to have a chance of having a successful season ahead. Nico is the second most important player in the squad after Luisao and our main creative force.

On the whole though, this was not a great summer transfer window for us. None of the signings can be considered a big one and let's be honest some of these were simply unwanted players from their previous clubs.

We didn't strengthen in the two areas that we are clearly quite weak in, Lb and Rw. We only have 4 full backs in the squad, not enough, what if a couple of them get injured? Should be five in a squad. And right wing is an issue for us. We should have kept one of Cavaleiro or Bebe imo.

This is probably our weakest squad since before JJ came to the club. Mostly the same old reasons for this: our complete lack of funds and spending power. We were linked with various good players all summer who would have really strengthened the squad, but we simply can't pay high salaries or high transfer fees. But anyway Gaitan staying is a real bonus and hopefully this boosts the team.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:45 pm

I'm happy to see Ola John go on loan. He was given every chance to play and blew it. As for Nelson, he could barely get playing time in the first division when on loan, now he's been loaned to a 2nd division side in England. I think his days are basically done, especially If he can't make a major impact in a lower division.

I agree that the RW is an issue until Salvio returns. Victor Andrade seems like a good option for now but we are clearly week there. I do think Eliseu is improving and getting be back at his level which was good for us.
Mdot

Postby d20 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:51 pm

ahaha
Nico will stay here until the end of his career!
Okay, Nico, stay ))

But we could really have a better squad this season. Ok, let's see what will happen till winter. Focus on CL!
d20
Junior

Postby Ed Gomes » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:01 am

At this point, I think that we have no choice but to keep Nico. He's our only creative player that is able to run at defenders, and create on his own. Fingers crossed nobody from Russia comes for him.
The right side of the field is a problem, since there's plenty of question about the right back and right winger positions. Our left back continues to be an issue since Coentrao departed.
I wouldn't be surprised if Djuricic would still go, butI would love for him to get an opportunity. He needs to get his head on straight and go for it.
Still not sure Vitoria is equipped to manage a club of this magnitude. Not happy with the throwing on three strikers at end of games, and no true set eleven yet.

All in all we've made a lot money in the transfer market once again, off sales and loans. Just wished we were a bit more prepared. It seemed as if everything was left for the last minute, when we knew of the needs.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion