Summer Transfer Window 2015

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2015

Postby Mdot » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:55 am

I think your being a little harsh. PSG had a mix of starting 11 players and bench players which had already played a preseason game and had been in north america longer. We dominated PSG, nearly 60% possession, double the amount of shots, and leading 2-1 when it could have been 4-1 easily. That was the first half of the game. Second half, we brought out bteam and random youth players which cost as the game. If it wasn't for one slip up by our defender and horrible goal keeping from Lopes, we would have won that game with our bench players.

Second game was against a good side from Italy that finished 4th in their league. We were down to 10 men for a good part of the game and ended up with a draw.

Yesterday, we were unlucky to not win. Look up the stats and we again were the better side against a team that beat Chelsea 4-2. Its very hard for even top European clubs to beat MLS sides because these guys give it their all vs. our treating it as a preseason game and they are in the prime of their season.

So new players, new manager, new tactics, and we have 2 close loses and a draw. Last season we had a manager that used the same tactics he had for 5 years prior, knew his squad and we were getting bent over by clubs like FC Sion, Bilbao, Ajax, and that horrible beating from Arsenal. At the end of the day, it was made clear that these games were all pointless in predicting results.

I agree that we hopefully should get some wins as its always good to start the season with some confidence. However we could win all our games but if we lose to Sporting in the supercup, it will be a massive piss off. As long as we win that game we'll be good.

As for Fejsa, Vitoria has a tough choice. Samaris continues to be an outstanding DM. Fejsa is also a starting 11 DM. He tried playing them both at the same time together against Fiorentina and we looked rough on the field. I want to see Vitoria try both of them together in another game to see if he can get them to work because they have some amazing talent.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:08 pm

My thoughts on the matches so far;

vs PSG
I think that we had no business losing to PSG, especially since we had our "supposed" a-team out there and they didn't. Granted we dominated the majority of the match and I cam away feeling good.
The concern with the PSG match, is that the so-called second stringers that did nothing might be needed. Nelson actually had opportunities that he let slip away. We're also going to need wingbacks, because Eliseu, Silvio and Almeida have been underwhelming. Verse PSGSilvio couldn't get to balls that Maxi reached easily. Keep in mind I don't mind losing Maxi, if we needed to pay for a four year deal, when the return is going to be greatly diminished as time passes.

vs Fiorentina.
Most importantly, Sousa was rocking the popped collar.
I liked the changed lineup and wanted to see Fejsa and Samaris playing together. Samaria was actually playing his more accustomed to role of box to box mid. JJ had him as a Def Mid due to injuries. I haven't been to impressed with Jardel in these games. He's once again has been shaky playing out the back, but it seems as if we're using him for that. Both Almeida, Eliseu (again, and Jonathan needed to do more. For me Jonas and Nico and even Talisca are ready to go, but everyone else is still sputtering. We're comfortable on the ball, we've also picked out players with the long ball, but we have no width. We're also slow in transitioning on the counter.
On a side note, Fiorentina was nasty.

vs Red Bulls
I haven't seen it yet, I DVR'ed it. I'll reserve judgement until then. I'm curious to see how Taarabt looked, along with Ola and Pizzi.
Definitely disappointed with the result, but I'm not concerned with those. Concern comes in when we haven't stabilized and still a work in progress. These matches are important, but they've also been training so I expect progress.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby matt34nj » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:22 pm

First of all, I think Fejsa and Samaris can play together, but that might require either Pizzi or Talisca to take a seat on the bench. The commentators for the Fiorentina game said Pizzi made the difference with his passing in the PSG game and our attack sputtered without him when we played Fiorentina.

As far as the game last night, Samaris played pretty well and covered a lot of ground, playing right in front of the CB's.

Here is the rest of my take on what I saw last night with my own eyes:

The formation looked to be a 4-1-1-3-1. Pizzi was playing right in front of Samaris, who was set up right in front of the CB's in a deep DM role. Tarrabt played further up in the CAM role, with Ola and Carcela on the wings and JRod up top. Tarrabt looked lost out there for the complete 45 mins he played. Made a few decent passes but no real attacking threat at all.

Jonathan put in another good shift, ran hard and really hustled. He actually had a goal called off. It was a beautiful shot from an incredibly tight angle right on the by-line, like a Nolito type shot.

Ola John was TERRIBLE and completely useless for the 45 mins he was on the field. He started on the left wing and did nothing, and after about 20 mins him and Carcela switched sides. Both looked unimpressive. Carcela took a few corners but they looked pretty poor to me.

Lisandro played well as did Luisao, but Luisao made 2 really bad errors. One led to the first goal and the other was an earlier weak back pass that almost let to a goal as well. Silvio looked good but seemed to be distracted most of the game, constantly gesturing to Lisandro and the others to make sure the high line we played was set up properly.

Semedo was decent-he covered ground and never got beat for pace or position. But he added nothing to the attack, preferring mostly to pull up and lay the ball off for the winger to make the cross or cut in for the attack.

Ederson was not tested all that much. He made a nice reaction save near the end and on the winning goal he was only fingertips away from the save. And give credit to the scorer, that was an almost unstoppable shot. He is not very tall, didnt even look to be 6 foot...

Djuricic came on at haltime and was so much better than Tarrabt. Guedes came on at HT too and played ok. At the end of the game he made a great run and got dragged down in the box for a clear penalty. Of course, we only got awarded a free kick.

Gaitan came on for about the last 10 minutes, and immediately changed the entire game. Every time he made an attacking run he was dragged down or tackled, at least 3 times.

One interesting note-when Luisao got subbed off with about 10 mins left, Samaris dropped back and actually played CB! Perhaps he will be our 4th CB this season, as Cesar got loaned to Flamengo and I am not aware of anyone else on the roster besides Lindelof.

All in all, I was just happy to see my team play, but a W would have been nice. The Bulls played hard from start to finish and flooded the midfield, so there was little flow to the game.
matt34nj
First Team

Postby CowCoentrao » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:56 pm

It's too early to be worried. We've conceded some goals because Luisao and Jardel (against PSG) made some huge mistakes, but that's probably down to their preseason fitness rather than a problem of quality. We all know what they are really capable of. Putting Paulo Lopes against PSG was a bit stupid, but it won't happen in a real match.

And the goal the New York player scored yesterday happens every 1/100 matches.

There were missed chances yesterday. It happens, especially when players aren't at 100%.

I liked Semedo's performance. He rarely gave away the ball and kept things simple. That's what I like to see from a young player, many others would try to do too much and get caught out of position. He was known for being a good attacker too in the B team, so I think there's more we haven't seen from him yet. I'm preferring Semedo over Silvio or Almeida based on what they've shown in the friendlies.

Should Fejsa be a starter? I'm not sure. When both Fejsa and Samaris play, the defense is a wall, but the team's passing becomes too predictable. Pizzi gives a boost to the tempo of our attacks. The Fejsa-Samaris combo could be good against Sporting, Porto, and certain CL teams where we want to frustrate their attackers. I don't think it's beneficial in any other match though.
CowCoentrao
Junior

Postby BC/SLB » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:08 pm

Perhaps I was being a little harsh, I just don't like seeing negative results, even in pre-season friendlies lol! It was the same last summer. But Mdot is right, what matters most is starting the actual season well and we can start that by winning the super cup.

Still I hope Rui Vitoria treats the next 2 games against the Mexican teams a little less like a friendly, and doesn't make as many substitutions, we need some positive results to come out of this North American trip.

To repeat again, we need to make sure Gaitan is kept. Nobody else gives us the creativity he does and actually we are not looking particularly strong on the wings, strange as not too long ago we were spoiled for choice on the wings. I've been reading that Man United are trying hard to sign Pedro from Barcelona and that he's their first choice to replace Di Maria. So that might affect whether Nico stays or not.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:12 am

Finally we got a win! I know exactly what you mean BC, I want these guys to win all the time and it's been killing me to watch them do as well as they have without the results. Team looked good again today, except that I'm finally shit of Ola John. Guy just doesn't know how to play with the team and pass a ball.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:46 am

Well i wasnt able to see the match, but according to a few reports it wasn't very convincing from us again, A Bola even stated it was the worst performance of the 4 matches so far. But this time I'm easy because we were up against one of the very best Mexican clubs playing in their home stadium.

Apparently Vitoria substituted everybody again in the second half. I really hope that for the Eusebio Cup in the next match he decides on a line up and doesn't change it too dramatically, to get some more rhythm and continuity from the main guys.

I was just reading a story I liked to hear on the striker issue: the club is again interested in signing Jonathan Soriano. We were interested in signing him a few years ago when we signed Nolito (they were both playing for Barca B at the time) and in the subsequent years is a striker I hoped the club would sign. His scoring record for Red Bull Salzburg has been fantastic, a goal a game for the last few seasons. The Austrian league is not the strongest but that's still a great record. To me he's the best of the options we've been hearing of to replace Lima as our main goalscorer.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Ed Gomes » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:37 pm

I still haven't watched the Red Bull match, but I got to see yesterdays Club America match live. Out the matches I've watched, I thought we played the poorest. Yes we held plenty of possession and were able to move the ball around, but no end result. We currently have no width whatsoever, and we were very poor in the final product. Jonas had a bad game and nobody stepped up. Nico as creative, but I couldn't think of anyone else that stood out. Nobody. Maybe Cesar and Emerson, because they had to come up with some saves while a man up. The rest knocked the ball around, again, with no end result.
Either Ola wants out or he's trying to do everything in order to show himself. Either way, he's been awful. I was also disappointed in Djuricic not seeing the field. He could have been a like for like substitute for Pizzi. Leads me to believe he'll be gone, which is a shame. If we could have gotten his head right I really think he's a talent.
On a side note, Club America could and should have had several players sent off. As Mdot stated previously, when European teams play against Central and South American club teams, they really try to prove their worth. Sadly sometimes that has more to do with manhood instead of talent.

I would be lying if I didn't say I'm worried about this team going into the season. I normally could care less about the SuperTaca, but its against Sporting and JJ. It will mean something for the fans. The Maca Podres will also be ramped up for it.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby BC/SLB » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:25 pm

So this dutch kid Bilal was officially presented yesterday. He's very highly rated in Holland and they're calling him "the new Robben"! The fact that he's only 18 it was assumed that his first season would be in the B team, but with our sudden lack of real strength in depth on the wings, perhaps he will join the A team right away?

To me the wings is a real issue at present. Salvio could miss the entire season or at least most of it and as for Gaitan, we may have to wait til the very last day of the transfer window to find out if he stays or not. Im not too convinced with Carcela from what I've seen so far. Guedes has a lot of potential but is still very raw and green. Many are calling for Ola John to be sold, Im not too sure if that's such a great idea given the current circumstances because at least he's got a few years of experience at the club which could be useful at the moment. For the super cup I think our safest bet for the wings would be Gaitan and Pizzi.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Ed Gomes » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:48 am

Really concern with our current squad. The biggest issue that I see is our most creative player, Nico, getting sold. That will place guys like Talisca out of position.
I really wanted to see Jonas and Talisca playing together, with Talisca sitting underneath Jonas. The problem that's Jonas favorite position on the field, since he likes to drop back. Frankly we don't seem to have a Lima like replacement. We might need to see Nelson playing up top with Jonas underneath him.
Again, Djuricic deserved a chance, especially with this current crop of players.
Fejsa and Samaris will be backups for Luisao Jardel and Lisandro.
Almeida, Eliseu and Silvio haven't looked good either.
I want to say not many positives, but I don't think we're anywhere near "many".
I really feel that we need some influx of talent, and that's an issue because we'll adding to an already bloated squad.

I don't like to over blow the pre-season, but this team/squad just hasn't looked like they have enough. We just haven't seen the necessary improvement and/or progression. Call me crazy, but Vitoria is in trouble.
The SuperTaca is a overblown friendly, but it's verse Sporting. Should Benfica play poorly and get trounced, Vitoria should get his resume ready.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Ed Gomes » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:10 am

Let me add that there was a great article on zerozero.pt about how Benfica is out in front of their closest competitors in marketing revenue. They noticed the shift in money and were able to bring in a world sponsor, while both Porto and Sporting currently sit without permanent jersey sponsors.
I understand that we spend a lot of money as an organization, but we bring in considerable more revenue then Porto and Sporting.
LFV has found some gems that enriched our coffers, but we tend to forget the duds. Sadly there are more then I care to name. If we're unable to find/get that diamond in the rough, it's going to get ugly fast.

Link to article;
http://www.zerozero.pt/news.php?id=159313
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby BC/SLB » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:40 am

Sadly I have to agree with Ed. I agree that pre-seasons mustn't be blown out of proportion, but still I have to say that this is the first time in 6 years (since before JJ joined) that I am not very confident about our prospects for the new season.

We lost the successful coach of the last 6 years, lost 2 of our senior and most experienced players, with a third one who just happens to be our most creative player (Nico) likely to leave too, a fourth one (Salvio) out injured for who knows how long....and to add to this, no real strengthening of the squad with no major signings yet. And furthermore our two rivals are strengthening and have been out-doing us in the transfer market this summer so far.

It's hard to have to say it, but to me this current squad with this current manager doesn't look good enough to have a very successful season. To me we need 3 good signings, and I really mean good quality players, in areas that we are looking short in: fullback, wings (if Nico is sold) and especially attack, before the transfer window is over. I don't think I'm being pessimistic, but rather being realistic. I think the super cup is of big importance to the confidence of the team for the new season. If we lose that final, that will be a big psychological blow after our poor pre-season. But if we win it, it could be the boost the team needs.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm

I still think we have the players to make a competitive squad but if we lose someone like Nico, that will really throw off this team. The area I hate is how we treat the transfer market with a shot gun approach by signing as many players as possible cheap, hoping one of them works out.

As it stands we looked worse in last years preseason and everyone in the media was saying we were done that year. Throw Porto had made so many re-enforcement and even some people were saying Sporting were a treat.

While I'm disappointed in our preseason, for now I'll hold off on my judgement until the first a couple of months of the season have passed. This SuperCup will be critical for Vitoria, if he loses this cup, he'll be on thinner ice to start off the season.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:54 pm

I do find something very interesting. All three clubs have added proven toxic players to their squads.

Benfica - Taarabt: Proven complainer, with history of sulking and poor training. Also has had weight issues.
Porto - Osvaldo: Noted trouble maker within his own squad, while on multiple teams. He's also stated that he isn't a fan of the game.
Sporting - Boateng: Another trouble maker, but I would also state the most talented out of the three. His relationship with JJ could be volatile.

There was another peace questioning why Djuricic wasn't given more chances, especially after the lack of scoring chances. I get Portuguese people over inflating Portuguese players, but Djuricic is more talented then Pizzi. The potential/ceiling is so much higher with him. It just is.

In looking at the squad, we still have 31 players. I figure if Lindelof, Teixeira, Guedes and Santos head to the B Squad, it still leaves us with 27 players. Nico is sold, 26 players. AND we still need to add quality. Granted Salvio could be put on the shelf for a long time, and Cristante, Djuricic and Bilal and/or Nelson could go out on loans.
That would still leave us with a bloated squad, which at this time I could care less, if we can get some quality in.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby BC/SLB » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:03 am

Yeah well on one hand it would seem that our rivals signings of the likes of Osvaldo, Boateng, Casillas, Maxi, Guttierez and Bryan Ruiz are risks in different ways (i.e high salaries, age, suspect attitudes/volatility etc)...but on the other hand these are all established and renowned players, with lots of experience playing for big teams and in big tournaments like the Champions league and the World Cup, and therefore if they click their experience could really help both our rivals.

In contrast what has our transfer activity involved so far? Very low key, a bunch of relatively unknown players on the cheap, of which a few will be loaned out to other Liga teams, a few will only join our B team, and the ones kept look like being squad players at best. In short not a single player we have signed so far has what i would consider real experience at the highest level (i.e champions league), or looks like being a first team regular at this point.

It's the same old reason once again: our serious lack of funds and budget. We've been linked with quite a few players this summer, some of them high profile, but nothing has come of these rumors and it's obvious why, they end up joining other teams who can pay more than we do, even small English clubs who fight relegation for example, can pay more than we do.

Just how screwed financially are we? We've made something like 200 million in player sales over the last 5 years or so, have earned champs league revenue every season for the last 6 years, and yet still have such a serious limit as to how much we can pay for players: transfer fees and salaries. It's very curious how our two rivals, much smaller clubs in comparison, can pay higher salaries and sign higher profile players than we can at this present time.

For example in the last few days, we've been linked to re-signing Siqueira, a move that I'd be happy with as he's a quality left back who did great for us a couple of seasons back. But today I'm reading Juventus also want him, they can clearly pay more, so what's the bet he will end up in Italy? We badly need a striker right now, and three quality forwards; Chicharito, Pato and Soriano, could all probably be negotiated for less than 10 million or perhaps even on loan, but we probably can't afford their wage demands. Instead it's looking like more of the same, the club is opting to sign Maritimo's striker Marega instead! In conclusion, i have to say it again, when we have such an obvious budget limitation, I really don't comprehend why the club doesn't utilise it's talented local youth players. How welcome would the likes of Andre Gomes, Bernardo, Cavaleiro and Cancelo be to our current squad?
BC/SLB
Substitute

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion