Summer Transfer Window 2015

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Summer Transfer Window 2015

Postby Mdot » Thu May 07, 2015 12:02 pm

While I feel it's a bit early for this topic, the number of articles that keep coming up over the past few weeks, I figure it was about time we opened it up.

After the we saw the largest amount of transfers out last season, I think this season we will only see 1 maybe 2 top players leave at most. If anything we could see a bunch of loan players sold off to free up some capital to deal with the third party ownership issues.

Ivan Cavaleiro is supposedly a target for Jardim at Monaco. We have loads of depth on the wings unless we do sell Nico, Salvio, or Ola John (which was another rumor to get sold for 20million - hard to believer in my book.)
http://www.abola.pt/clubes/ver.aspx?t=3&id=547331

To me 2 of the biggest transfer activities wouldn't be new talent, it would be resigning JJ and getting Maxi on a new contract. To allow Maxi to walk out of the club free would be such a terrible loss and poor management by LFV. In looking at this season, he's still a key player for us.
Mdot

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2015

Postby Stay_Toasty » Thu May 07, 2015 10:01 pm

And here we go! I agree we should resign Maxi, but it looks more and more likely he will leave. Ola John has shown that it is just not going to work at Benfica, and considering we have a guy like Cavaleiro that is such a good talent and showed us last year that he deserves to play, we can let John go.
The Benfica Podcast guys have brought up something that im not sure everyone will agree with, and that is that Pizzi may not be good enough to play in Europe. I would like to keep him for depth when playing domestically, but i can see LFV bringing in a better #8. Also, LB will be another necessary position this offseason. Eliseu has been okay, but thats just not good enough. A more consistent player would be better.
Lastly, i think we need a CB. Lopez and Cesar have shown some talent, and Jardel has been super this season. That being said, Jardels feet are horrendous. And with top class attacks in Europe, we need someone that is strong with their feet in the back.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby Mdot » Fri May 08, 2015 2:25 am

I don't know if I agree with those guys. I think Pizzi has been pretty good. I find what he doesn't provide is a good enough goal threat. If he's willing to stay on as a sub, I could deal with that but I still think he can offer a good bit.

As for the CB situation. I'm mainly worried about the day Luisao decides to hang up his boots. I'm not sure if Lopez is the right guy to step up but I haven't minded seeing him when ever he's been on.

I think the main priority this off season will be replacing Maxi if we can't sign him and putting some funds up to buyout Jonathan Rodriguez's contract. Currently we don't own his full rights and that could bite us in the ass the more this kid keeps improving.

Here's a couple more guys that the rumor papers are talking about:
Jovic, Serbian U17 (Striker playing in their first division)
http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=547442
Ismail H´Maidat, Dutch U19 (Defender)
http://www.abola.pt/clubes/ver.aspx?t=3&id=547474
Marcell Jansen, German 29yr LB (potentially on free)
http://www.abola.pt/clubes/ver.aspx?t=3&id=547347
Mdot

Postby Stay_Toasty » Fri May 08, 2015 5:19 pm

I agree that he's been good for us, but their seems to be something lacking. Just a bit of quality that he seems to not have.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby Ed Gomes » Thu May 14, 2015 5:57 pm

I read that Vasco Da Gama wants to send back to youngsters instead of paying the 2.5 million the owe. Frankly it might be better for Benfica to take the players if the show any promises. We could possibly make that money back on loan deals, right away.
Luan is 22 and a Central Defender, Thales is 19 and plays forward.
- Luan has been a steady started for Vasco and even has 4 goals. Luan played on Brazil's U20's in 2013 and started all 4 matches in Sudamericano U20 2013. Not so good since they didn't make it out of the group.
- Thales has played 62 games for Vasco and scored 17 goals. He's scored 2 goals in 2 games for Brazil's U21 and 3 goals in 8 games for Brazil's U20.

Some excitement over 19 year old forward Jhon Murillo. Again, we'll see how he does.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Fri May 15, 2015 11:07 am

I agree with the idea of just taking the players if they show promise. Just loan them out and flip them for a profit if possible. I'm guessing the issue could be if there are any third parties holding part of their contract which is common in Brazil. Since we're trying to get rid of those third parties, I'm assuming SLB wants all the cash it can get to buy out any key players full contracts.
Mdot

Postby matt34nj » Fri May 15, 2015 11:01 pm

Speaking of 3rd party ownership, I agree wholeheartedly with M-Dot point's about getting Jonathan's contract sorted out this summer once and for all. That kid looks to have some real legitimate potential. Definitely one for next season.
matt34nj
First Team

Postby Stay_Toasty » Sat May 16, 2015 4:32 am

The thing with Rodriguez is that he has a history of abusing alcohol and partying a little too much. Thats what all those negotiations were about during January. Benfica made a great choice by loaning him for three years or whatever. Its low risk. If he goes back to his old ways, we dont have to buy the other 70% of his contract, and can just ship him back to Uruguay. I'm also very sure that we had a buy clause in the contract so that we can buy him when the loan is technically over. My question is why the rush? The problem is his off the pitch stuff, not his play. He's kept the straight and narrow but thats with Maxi having him under his wing. I think we should wait. Give him more time and see if hes a changed man. If he is, we buy him for the same price we would buy him right now.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby Mdot » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:06 pm

Looks like we sold Funes Mori to Monterrey for 3.5million. He was one of those players that part of his ownership was held by an investment fund. It's good that we keep cleaning these types of things out, especially for players that are not going to find a spot.

On the rumor side, Ivan Cavaleiro could make his loan deal at Corunha a permanent move. I hope this is BS because the kid showed some good potential. Did extremely well on our b-team and did well in the few first team games he got.

Last rumor is the same one we have heard every transfer window for the past few years - Nico to United for 30million... They just spent a stupid sum on Di Maria and have made it clear he's staying at United, so them buying Nico would make no sense but it is that time of year.
Mdot

Postby Stay_Toasty » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:16 am

Idk if this goes here, but this Nuno Santos kid is tearing things up for the U-20s in this world cup. How have i never heard about him before this?
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby CowCoentrao » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:00 am

Stay_Toasty wrote:Idk if this goes here, but this Nuno Santos kid is tearing things up for the U-20s in this world cup. How have i never heard about him before this?

He didn't play much when Helder Costa was still in the B team. After we loaned Helder Costa to Deportivo, Nuno Santos was finally able to get game time and show his ability.

Another one who has impressed me in the U-20s is Raphael Guzzo. He was loaned to Chaves and almost got them promoted, and they only didn't go up because of goal difference. However, we have too many midfielders, so I'd like to see him loaned this summer to a Portuguese team so he gets some 1st division experience.

Back on topic, Ola John is likely to leave, so it would be nice to have Cavaleiro back. But if a team like Monaco offers big money (10+ million for example), I don't know if I would keep him. He's a good player for sure, but not the type of player who is irreplaceable.

Ederson, Diego Lopes, Pele, and Marcal are some names who look set to join. Ederson I think will be a good bench goalkeeper. We'll be able to let Artur go, and Ederson is young and can maybe learn a thing or two from Julio Cesar. Diego Lopes has good technical ability and is a great passer, but I can't see him fitting in the squad if Pizzi and Talisca stay. Pele is another I don't see staying, he came for free and LFV will probably loan him for cash. Marcal was free also, we'll see if he's another for the loan list or a serious contender for LB.
CowCoentrao
Junior

Postby Stay_Toasty » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:00 am

Marcal i see playing basically due to not really having many options there other than Almeida. I agree that the midfield is too full for Pele but Lopes i can see playing because he is a number 10 and thats something we havent have since the departure of Aimar. Ederson, i think will be good for us as the rumors seem to show that Artur will be leaving on a free to the summer.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby Mdot » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:44 pm

While we're talking about bringing up all these youth players, it seems like it will be a bit harder for them. I had seen a article on Benfica raising an additional 50million in bonds, now it's come out that today in a meeting with Jorge Mendes LFV is making it clear that we are on the market for talent. Not really a bad thing but I want our debt to come down. It could also mean that he's talking to Mendes about our current players and upping contracts to retain top players.
Mdot

Postby Stay_Toasty » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:09 pm

Rumors going around that Man U are willing to offer Januzaj to sweeten the deal for Gaitan.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby Mdot » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:06 am

We've just sold Sulejmani for 3million. I thought he was for sure going to stay due to Salvio's injury. Always showed potential but maybe just too injury prone.

Januzaj could be interesting. I do get the feeling we are going to get a player with loads of hype this season. Doesn't always work out but with all the Mendes and willingness to spend talk, it would seem the club wants to make it's intentions of keeping the title clear.

I wasn't too worried about the wingers but potentially having Ola transferred out, Sulejmani officially sold, that means we need some depth, even if we assume we're keeping Nico which is unlikely.

Also Artur has officially been let go from the club. Not a bad move. We can promote one of the other young keepers to the bench at a lower salary.
Mdot

Next

Return to Latest News and General Discussion