Summer Transfer Window 2015

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2015

Postby BC/SLB » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:32 am

Every day it seems more and more like Maxi could really be leaving the club. Some of the direct comments/quotes from him really seem to be suggesting this. I can see what the situation must be: LFV is coming with more of his cheap skate tactics and not offering him the contract he deserves.
Doesn't he deserve it? For the best part of 10 years now Maxi has been a consistently excellent server to the club, and loyal to boot. And he's right to expect an improved contract.

It reminds me a little of the situation of Cardozo last summer. After all Cardozo gave to this club and the goals he scored, how was he repayed? Sold off to Turkey, when he clearly wanted to stay.

The club hasn't got the funds to offer Maxi an improved contract? The club is going to save 3 million a year from having Vitoria as coach (compared to JJ's salary). The club just paid 4 million to buy some virtually unheard of winger (Carcela) when for e.g Cavaleiro could be recalled for free. If LFV lets Maxi (as good a right back as there is the world imo) go, we will seriously regret it. Here's hoping some agreement is made soon.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:54 am

I agree, a player of his level should be kept. Especially since I don't see a proper back up for him. It would be one thing to let go a mid-fielder when we have a line-up of good talent, for RB, we are a little more limited.

We could have an answer today. According the article below, the club has made several offers and at this point made one last offer recently. The feeling is either he takes it or the club goes to the transfer market for an RB. So we'll see if we have an answer by tomorrow in this case.
[url]http://www.record.xl.pt/Futebol/Nacional/1a_liga/Benfica/interior.aspx?content_id=955844
[/url]

I love this other article I saw:
http://www.record.xl.pt/Futebol/Nacional/1a_liga/Benfica/interior.aspx?content_id=955829
João Teixeira is taking his vacation time to train and prepare for the pre-season. Feels that change in management could be his opportunity to earn a spot. This is what I love to see. I want to see more of this work ethic and desire to play for our club. At the very least he should get a shot in the preseason to prove himself.
Mdot

Postby Mdot » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:46 am

I think by next week we could know if Maxi is staying or going to Porto. Supposedly this morning the papers were saying we offered a 3 year contract at 1.5million putting Maxi as the top 3 most paid players at the club. Now rumors are Porto are offering 2million for 4 years. Maxi is amazing but up past 2million per season for 4 or more years for a 31yr old is a bit of an issue.

I'm still holding out hope that we will keep him but at the same time I don't want the club going stupid on the contract. If Maxi becomes the highest earner, what happens with guys like Luisao, Nico, Jonas, Salvio, etc... that are all key figures and would be earning less. Lets just hope its BS to sell papers in the off season.
Mdot

Postby matt34nj » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:48 pm

I too want Maxi to stay, but 2 million a year for 4 years, for a 31 yr old player who just a couple of years back looked spent, is way too much. Let Porto throw their money away. I'd rather invest in someone like Rafael Gurreiro (I know hes a LB, not a RB), or give someone like Jonas a much deserved raise...
matt34nj
First Team

Postby BC/SLB » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:07 am

Yes I agree, we all want Maxi to stay because he's a fundamental part of the team. But if he doesn't consider the good salary (for the standards of Portugal and considereing his age) being offered to him to be enough (at 31 years of age), and he becomes a mercenary like JJ, and ends up joining Porto for more money, my reaction will simply be "good riddance". But we're not there yet, let's see what happens in the coming days. Perhaps the fact that he's in the middle of an international tournament with Uruguay is accounting for how long things are taking.

Other unsettling rumours are that both Jonas and Lima could be off to China or the Middle East. Lima there's a big possibility could go, but Jonas? After the debut season he had? I hope in the case of Jonas it's just rumours. I doubt Jonas would really want to go, yes he'd earn much more money in China, but would effectively be ending his career there and be giving up a few last shots at competing at the highest level there is in club football, playing in the Champions League.

Some thoughts I've been having recently, providing Jonas stays...is that with the possibility of us changing formation next season to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, remember Jonas can play as a wide attacker in these formations, and in fact usually played there for Valencia. He could play on the flank for us next season, and this is another option. If Vitoria does change to a 4-2-3-1 for example, I'd prefer Jonas play wide, than as the centre forward, cos he's so good with the ball and in linking up with team mates. I also think the 4-2-3-1 would be the best formation to accomodate Taarabt, who could play as the offensive playmaker, supported by 2 defensive midfielders (i.e Samaris and Fejsa). For the champions league at least, this would probably be the best formation.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby miklos-russia » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:41 pm

hey i dont wanna change my pic here. so maxi must stay!!!
can't imagine him in porto tshirt. but it would also be funny to see JJ sitting near BdC lol
what a crazy season we are waiting for

today i heard that we can sign mario fernandez from cska instead of maxi. well, this can be a good choice, but mario is not a brazilian international and he still must improve. he is one of the best right defenders in russian championship (maybe the best), but i still think, that he must play better for slb, if he will join us.
miklos-russia
First Team

Postby matt34nj » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:39 am

Yeah Miklos, I hear ya... I gotta get rid of this JJ avatar. I still remember that game like it was yesterday. Never found out why he was so mad at Alvaro Perrreira though, LOL. Maybe after the first argument between JJ and BdC, I will use a clip of that as my new avatar!

We all know that it is coming, it is just a matter of time. (Maybe even as early as the Supercup!)
matt34nj
First Team

Postby BC/SLB » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:19 pm

On another note I saw some youtube highlights of John Murillo, the Venezuelan kid we signed. I don't think I have seen a quicker player than that in a long long time. His acceleration down the wing is simply incredible! I would like to know what time he can do the 100 metres in!

It remains to be seen whether he will be in the main squad next season, or in the B team or even loaned out. But from what I saw in the video, he looks a very useful sub to bring off the bench in second half of matches to run at tireing defences. Especially if Ola John does get sold, this kid Murillo looks like he could be a direct replacement.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:40 am

Now that Uruguay has been knocked out, I would hope by this week or next week we would have an answer on Maxi.

Love the youtube scouting, that's all us fans have to work off of for some of these players. I can see your point on the speed, this John Murillo can really move but the part I liked seeing was how scrappy he was in going after the ball when he lost it. Just stays on top of defenders trying to win the ball back where as some wingers don't seem to fight as hard. I love those players that fight to get the ball back. I agree with you that he will likely first see the B-team before the main team.

Rumors of Nico leaving have also died down. Only thing I've read is that VanGal doesn't seem to be too interested. Personally, I think all United rumors are BS due to them likely not paying more for another winger when they already have Di Maria. I don't see any other major clubs lining up and we're not selling him cheap.

Supposedly the Ola John deal to Swansea isn't finished. Crystal Palace is trying to jump in. I'm hope this is true because that could result in a few more dollars for the transfer.

Last one I saw was this Dutch kid where I can not pronuce his name Bilal Ould-Chikh. Given that he's 17, I can see him as another b-team player but this kid seems to have good potential having already played 16 games in the Dutch first division and having joined the Dutch U19 last year.
Mdot

Postby Mdot » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:41 pm

And the tradition of signing a boat load of player which most will never play on the main team continues. Benfica confirmed the signing of several players today:

Ederson (Rio Ave) - 21 year old goalkeeper that had 50 caps for Rio Ave the past few seasons (I'm guessing him or Varela from the B-team will be fighting for Artur's spot on the bench

Marçal (Nacional) - 26 year old LB that's played the past 4 seasons at Nacional. I know nothing about him.

Dálcio (Belenenses) - 19 year old forward. Expected to stay at Belenenses on loan to continue to develop and continue to receive playing time in the first division.

Diego Lopes (Rio Ave) - 21 year old. From my understanding he was part of Benfica's youth system. Here' s bit of interesting info, for the U15 and U17 sides he was ahead of B.Silva for playing time. Loaned out to Rio Ave and eventually in 2012 was given a 3 year contract with supposedly the intention of returning. 60 caps in the first division at his age, so he could try to fight for a spot on the main team.

Léo Natel (youth player) - little details on him, seems like we just gave him his first main contract and will be another kid on the b-team

Pelé (AC Milan/Belenenses) - 23 years of age. Played at Belenenses from 09-11 before going to Italy. Never cracked the main team there so he was loaned out for the past few years. He's done well at Belenenses in recent years. So I think he could be another kid that will try to fight for a in a crowed mid-field

Francisco Vera (Rubio Ñu) - Forward that will likely end up on loan or at the b-team

To me honest, I think maybe 1 to 2 of these players have a shot at trying to earn a spot on the bench. Pele and Lopes are the two I think that could pull it off.

These are in addition to Carcela (Standard Liège), Murillo (Zamora), and Taarabt (Queens Park Rangers) which we've talked about.
Mdot

Postby Stay_Toasty » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:36 am

Im really happy with a lot of these signings. Lopes is a 10 so i think that proves we will be using one for the first time in forever. Ederson looks like a very solid keeper. Pele looks to be good and will be a squad player at the 6. I think that means Samaris may be moving back to the 8, or we will be playing with 2 in the defensive midfield. Either way it helps give us options. The others seem like players that will gain potential but none seem like they were especially expensive.

We have also apparently signed Bilal Ould-Chikh. He is Moroccan. Looks like Morocco will be our new Serbia with the signings of Carcela, and Taarabt as well. He is only 17 and highly touted. One may think that their must be something wrong because of his age and talent, but apparently, FC Twente are in huge financial trouble, so they are offloading assets so this is probably one of those.
I have also heard an unknown MLS club are after Amorim. I wouldnt mind seeing him go. Has been a great squad player the last couple years playing at multiple positions, but i think their are younger better options in the midfield.

If its true, Saudades Amorim. :benficascarf
Last edited by Stay_Toasty on Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby inMotionSLB » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Cheers for the summary. It's like we are catching hundreds of fish in the hope that a few are good enough for the first team. Otherwise we will just sell them for a small profit...

As long as the players are aware of why they are being bought and agree to such terms, then there's no harm.
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby BC/SLB » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:25 am

Looking at the success of the Portugal under 21s and Benfica academy graduates like Bernardo, Cavaleiro and Cancelo tearing it up in the tment, it pisses me off what our clubs philosophy has been regarding our youth players.

Everyone blamed JJ for this and while its true he refused to give them a chance, it wasn't him who sold them off. It was LFV who did. LFV claims he wants to see the local kids in the first team but continues to buy a truckload of mostly foreign players, youngsters from Holland, Morocco, Serbia etc.

How useful would Andre Gomes or Bernardo be to the squad now? But they're long gone. With this Maxi situation, how useful would Cancelo be right now? Gone too. Cavaleiro should be recalled to the squad but just watch his place go to a foreign youngster next season.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:37 am

I still strongly believe that positions should be earned, not something players are entitled to. So I hope guys like Ivan, Nelson, and so many others can make a strong case for a spot on the team. With Salvio injured Ivan should be able to take a spot. As for Nelson, we'll need to sell Lima or Jonas for him to likely get a chance.

As for Bernardo and Gomes, under JJ's time it was very clear they would never see the field. Bernardo has made it very public that it was JJ that wouldn't even talk to him or give him a shot which is why he wanted a transfer out of the club. We couldn't keep him if he was getting a good contract offer and there was zero chance he would be used at the club. Now we'll see if this is purely a JJ issue or an LFV issue since we have a different manager now.

Sadly I think Maxi is gone. Abola (not the best source at times) was stating that several of Maxi's contacts at the club have been saying that they were told he had no intention of renewing and is waiting out till June 30th when his contract is officially done. I just hope he doesn't end up at Sporting or Porto. I agree that Cancelo could have been a good option for RB.
Mdot

Postby Stay_Toasty » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:39 pm

No team successful team has ever had players purely from one country. I agree that we should play more portuguese players, but buying foreign players is not a bad thing, and often necessary. Look, im portuguese. I know often, we are not the tallest and strongest people in the world. Sometimes you need a big Serbian defensive midfielder. I remember playing Germany in the 2006 world cup, and the commentators talked about set pieces being the key for the Germans, because almost everyone on their team was taller than us.

South Americans can add a different play style, as well as have a hunger for something greater. If i was playing for Benfica, that would be my dream and i would never want to leave. Lets me honest. For some of these foreign players, teams like Man U, Barca and Real is the peak of football. Thus they will do whatever they can at Benfica of it means they can transfer to one of these places. I love seeing portuguese players play for Benfica, but it is not the be all end all.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion