Winter Transfer Window 2015

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Winter Transfer Window 2015

Postby Stay_Toasty » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:38 am

As many of you know the Winter Transfer Window opened January 1st. Even before that, we lost one of our best players, Enzo Perez, to Valencia. It sucks that it had to happen but they have been after him for a while and $25 million is good business. We have also sent Nelson Oliveira on loan (again) to Swansea this time. This will be interesting as they have Bony and Gomis so his playing time will be limited to say the least. Another move currently being made is signing Hany Mukhtar from Hertha Berlin. He was in Lisbon the other day but neither Benfica, Mukhtar, or Berlin have made any announcements regarding a transfer. Whether or not he signs is irrelevant for now as he is only 19 and will most likely go directly into the B team.
Benfica may look outside the club to find a replacement for Enzo but it looks most likely that with Fejsa returning soon, and Samaris playing well lately, that Samaris may move into the number 8 role. Also with the return of Sulejmani, Gaitan may move to the middle with Ola John playing out on the left. Who gets the spot will appear within the next couple weeks. Other guys looking to get more playing time are Pizzi (who has played in the middle this year), Cristante, and maybe Joao Teixeira.
Well whatever happens, I hope JJ finds the right player to lead us to number 34!
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Re: Winter Transfer Window 2015

Postby BC/SLB » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:35 am

Yes the Enzo sale was disappointing even if it had been inevitable for the last few months. Two comments to make on it: first it shows just how weak financially we still are. We've made over 200 million in the last 4 years from player sales and lost half the team over the summer, yet still could not prevent Enzo also going, and for less than his release clause. Secondly, I'm disappointed in Enzo's decision to leave before the season was through. Like Matic and Oblak before him, he showed no loyalty at all and it seems he basically forced his way out to chase the money, and like those other players was an unknown before joining the club, so that was a great way to thank the club! It's ok though, the club moves on like always.

But it's clear that we are a lot weaker in the midfield without him and it's still more than a month until Amorim and Fejsa return. In the case of Fejsa I wouldn't even be surprised if he doesn't return at all this season, the guy's just always injured which is a shame cos he's our best DM. Amorim is the best option to replace Enzo when he hopefully returns next month. This Mukhtar looks promising but it seems he will only join the team for next season. In the meantime this is an opportunity for Cristante to stake his claim. He looked good in our last match, and despite not being a direct replacement for Enzo (just doesn't have the same mobility) his versatility will be useful (can play number 6 or 8).

January's gonna be a crucial month for our season. With some of the injured guys likely to miss the whole month, we need the rest of the team to perform well. We need a new striker imo, and hopefully we get one this month, to contribute some more goals to the team to ensure we keep getting the points. Both Porto and Sporting will lose key players for the African Cup of Nations, so it might not be the easiest month for our rivals either. We just have to keep this lead intact until February when the players returning should be a big boost to the team.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:00 pm

To me Enzo was expected to leave if we didn't make it through to the CL knockout rounds, no different than the year we lost David Luiz. 25M + 5M on performance is pretty much his 30M buyout.

As for the financial state of our club, I believe we had just under 100M loan called on us in the summer which is why we had such a fire sale of players. The loan was called because the Portuguese bank was going bankrupt. Throw in new FIFA rules banning some types of 3rd part ownership which resulted in us having to clear our the Benfica star's fund, which leaves me to guess that's where all that cash went. Personally, I'm happy to see a chuck of debt paid off and the less third parties involved the better in my book.

As for new signing, I'm not expecting much. This German kid Mukhtar we got looks interesting. Played a little bit in the first division in Germany and a few caps in each German youth side which has been pretty strong lately. Throw in Cristante from AC we got in the summer, Silva out on loan, and we have a pretty talented mid-field being developed to give us several options and depth.

I agree with January being critical. So many injured players. If we can finish the month top of the table, I think we'll have enough guys returning to be able to ride out the rest of the season.
Mdot

Postby inMotionSLB » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:58 pm

Transfer window latest
Posted on January 5, 2015 - http://www.planetbenfica.co.uk/news/tra ... dow-latest

The winter transfer window officially opened on Friday 2nd January and Benfica have already confirmed two exits, a permanent move for Enzo to Spain and a loan spell for Nélson Oliveira, with a further two in the pipeline.

Confirmed exits
Enzo Pérez to Valencia (La Liga) for EUR 25m
Nélson Oliveira on loan to Swansea (Premiership) until end of season

Almost closed
Victor Lindelöf (Benfica B) on loan to Gil Vicente (Primeira Liga) until end of season
Hélder Costa (Benfica B) on loan to Gil Vicente (Primeira Liga) until end of season

Strong Links
German midfielder Hany Mukhtar who plays his trade with Hertha BSC was in Lisbon last week having talks with Benfica about a possible Winter / Summer move. The 19-year-old's contract with the Bundesliga side is supposedly ending at the end of this season thus enabling interested clubs on a potential free transfer move.
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Stay_Toasty » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:27 am

Good to see some B players being loaned into other liga teams. It seems like the last year we have avoided loaning youngsters to other portuguese teams, instead sending them to Spain, etc. I think its good for the players to play in the country against teams they will eventually face.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby Mdot » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:08 am

Was Ruben Pinto from the B-team just released from his contract? I read something in Abola that makes it seem as if he's free to go to the Pacos team for free?!
Mdot

Postby Stay_Toasty » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:50 am

All reports i have seen have said hes been loaned out but a clause may be included.

(Edit) Looks like Tiago (Bebe) is being loaned to Cordoba. That means we have two strikers being loaned out but Rui Fonte will be called up to the A team so the confusion with our strikers continues.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby inMotionSLB » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:36 pm

Ruben Pinto defo loaned out only - good move I think hopefully gets some first team football
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Stay_Toasty » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:20 am

I think the confusion may have been because he gave such an emotion farewell on some kind of social media, saying he had given his all and loved playing for Benfica and would give the same to pacos, but i think that was the emotion of being loaned out and not due to leaving permanently. Either way i hope he plays pften and well. I dont want to see another David Simao or Miguel Rosa.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby Mdot » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:24 pm

Seems like we are cleaning house a good bit with loan players. Good thing too since these guys need playing time and are less likely to get it here.

I still have some hopes for Bebe give how well he played at Paco's. He's a bit of a odd guy to have on facebook compared to other footie players. Just random pick of him going out with the other players and hanging out in Lisboa. Just comes across as a happy guy despite the amount of trash people have talked about him.
Mdot

Postby Stay_Toasty » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:20 pm

Ive always been a fan of loaning out players. When its a club like Benfica who has so much talent throughout, its good to get some playing time to them all.
As far as new acquisitions are concerned, who seem to keep being held up. I havent heard anything concerning Hany Mukhtar since his arrival in Lisbon. All reports are saying his contract is up in June, so Hertha BSC are trying to get him out while they can still get some money for him. Benfica's only willing to give them 500k but the want $1 million. This one might be one that goes until the last day when Hertha just cash in on the prospect before they lose him.
Jonathan Rodriguez, the Uruguayan striker has been said to have signed with us over the past few days. But according to some reports, there i some worry regarding a physical. Apparently, over the summer, he was headed to Braga as an Eder replacement but he did not pass his physical. This one will be interesting to see over the next couple days.
Finally, the most interesting. Joel Campbell the Costa Rican attacker apparently really wants to leave Arsenal for Benfica. Arsene Wenger does agree and would like him to stay in the BPL or La Liga on loan as he would be with us. LFV wants the player on loan with an option to buy and apparently has sent a representative to London to talk to Arsene directly regarding the transfer. Hes a great player that has shown it at the World Cup and European (for Olympiakos) level. Its a shame as it seems on both the wings and up front, he is behind several players in the pecking order. We will see what happens in the coming weeks but dont hold your breathe.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby inMotionSLB » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:25 pm

I know its a lot of money, but why do we need to buy randoms like Bebe and pay the likes of Djalo a salary (+hundreds of others) and then be forced to sell Bernardo???

http://www.planetbenfica.co.uk/news/ber ... ove-monaco

We may be at the top of the league, but that doesn't mean everything is being done correctly.

Let's see how long Fonte and Guedes last until they are sold off
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby CowCoentrao » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:02 am

I think it's disgraceful that Bernardo's been sold. Bernardo is born and bred Benfica and he only got 1 appearance as a sub for the senior team in all his time here. If he's good enough for Monaco, then he easily could have come back, play a good season and double his transfer value, so I think it's still bad business even if 15 million is a lot.

Bernardo would've been the perfect replacement for Talisca too (because we know LFV will sell him once someone offers big money).
CowCoentrao
Junior

Postby BC/SLB » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:43 pm

Agreed! Absolutely crap decision to sell Bernardo Silva, a player who should have been the future of our midfield. 15 million may seem like a lot, but if the club really wanted to cash in on him they should've waited because he's only going to get better and more valuable.

This clearly shows just how bad the financial situation still is at the club. They could'nt turn down the offer from Monaco despite making something like 120 million euros in sales in the last year alone. Just how bad is our debt? Seems even worse than we thought. And I doubt we will be able to hold on to any key players that become sought after in the next few seasons.

To me, an obvious part of the solution to this problem is to give these talented young players much more of a chance in the first team, players who would be happy with much lower salaries and would give everything to represent the club they support, and clearly they're all talented as we can see. But no they just get loaned out or sold off. Anyway best of luck to Bernardo at Monaco, he deserves to be playing regularly and that simply wasn't gonna happen at SLB, where young Portuguese players simply don't get a chance for the senior team.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:30 pm

This one is upsetting. I get that receiving 15million for a b-team player is crazy money but he is playing in France's top division and is getting recognized there. I hope Santo's calls up the kid for our next national team game, that would rub some serious salt in LFV's face. Supposedly Jara could be off to Olympiakos and Lille may take Derley on loan. Those guys I can understanding dumping or loaning out given their game and lack of success after so many chances.

I did read a French article talking about Monaco's end. First of all some of the French few this as an expensive 20year old which they agree is showing some amazing promise. Supposedly according to their reports, Peter Lim (Valencia) wanted to sign him in the summer and Monaco paid up.

I didn't want to sell him, however I would be even more pissed if the story was that Valencia took another one of our players. At this point I would rather earn less with another club then give those Spaniards any more of our talent.
Mdot

Next

Return to Latest News and General Discussion