Summer Transfer Window 2014

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014

Postby BC/SLB » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:43 pm

I find it a little strange that after all these financial issues this summer, players sold and then players we've been linked with who were deemed too expensive...we now look likely to spend 9 million on Samaris. Does this mean now that the club have conceded losing Enzo? I hope not!

We do need a DM for sure, but with Fejsa likely to be back for the second half of the season, I would have preferred to get someone on loan for DM, or for cheaper, and save some of the cash to buy the quality forward we need in the squad.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mantorras77 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:36 pm

@Stay_Toasty I understand what you're saying but then why did he even go there to begin with? Like I said, for our sake I hope he shines with us.

@BC/SLB Yea tell me about it..all of a sudden we have 9mil to spend on a player. JJ say's Samaris is here to replace Matic/Fesja. JJ really likes him so we got to trust him then. To me Enzo is as good as gone and we're not out of the woods on Luisao/Gaitan either.

Candeias loaned out to Nurnberg. Guardado continues to be linked to us as part of the Enzo deal. JJ, wants a striker similar to Rodrigo.
Mantorras77
Junior

Postby Mdot » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:44 pm

I have a feeling that the money spent on Samaris and his recent comments saying he can adept to any mid-field position is likely a sign that Enzo could be gone. I hope this is not the game but we'll see what happens. I just hope that if we do sell Enzo, its for some stupid price tag.
Mdot

Postby Stay_Toasty » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:26 pm

Ive been very confused as to what position he will play. At the beginning he was said to be a DM but it has been said he can play in more of an CM. I think its a good buy as right now he can fill that DM role and if Enzo leaves he can move higher up. Either way he looks like a good player who has experience in Europe and internationally. It looks like Benfica are making the right buys and a #9 is all we need now.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby CowCoentrao » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:04 am

From what JJ said in the press conference, it sounds like he wants to pull a Matic with Samaris. Matic used to be a CM also but JJ saw potential in him as a DM. Samaris also commented about playing wherever he is needed, which probably means he knows he will be adapted as a DM.

He could take Enzo's position too, but I'm still praying he doesn't go.
CowCoentrao
Junior

Postby Stay_Toasty » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:31 pm

No new news on the Enzo front but Valencia are apparently now going after Jackson Martinez so that sjould be nice for Porto to have a lil distraction for now. Apparently Joel Campell of Arsenal's agent is in Lisbon to discuss a deal. He was prolific last year for Olympiacos and Costa Rica. I also think Arsenal are willing to sell with the purchase of Alexis Sanchez and with Sanogo looking better. The next few days will be key to our season.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby SJ_Benfiquista » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:12 am

Joel Campbell would be nice. Kind of a steep price tag at 10 million euros but if he stays on the form he was at the world cup his price tag will more than double. Unless LFV wants to take a low ball offer or something. :geez
SJ_Benfiquista
Substitute

Postby Indaro » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:56 am

Pretty strong in central midfield for this season then. Enzo, Almeida, Samaris, Cristante, and later in the season Fejsa and Amorim.

Shame about Campbell, I'm surprised we didn't have a back up plan though. Record are reporting that Gonçalo Guedes will get some minutes. I'll believe that when i see it.
Indaro
Mascot

Postby Mdot » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:38 am

Overall the transfer window didn't end horribly. We need a better striker option but keeping Enzo and Nico is a massive win. Throw in Cristante which supposedly AC Milan fans are livid that their club sold him, is a nice long term win. Good to hear we'll have SIlvio for another year, he could play a key part as we approach winter as a back for our LB/RB.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Yeah the window ended quite well for us. The big positive was keeping hold of Enzo. Valencia were clearly trying to get him on the cheap and good that LFV for a change wasn't willing to budge on his evaluation of the player. I think Enzo himself wanted to stay with us all along and this probably affected the situation. Anyway big bonus, because alongside Luisao, he's our most important player.

Cristante is an interesting signing too and will give us more options in midfield. I haven't seen him play at all, but he might be a like for like replacement for Andre Gomes. Hopefully Fejsa returns as quickly as possible, and then we will have various options for the centre of the park.

A little worrying though that we didn't get a striker in, well we got two but they are both going to the B team. I'm a little concerned whether we will have enough goals in this team because Lima hasn't started the season great, and he's the main goal threat. I think Bebe needs to be given a chance to show what he can offer to the attack. I'd like to see him tried out as the second striker, playing behind Lima. He has the pace and movement to be a replacement for Rodrigo's role.

Lastly I was real happy that Silvio was kept for another season. Like Fejsa, hopefully his return is as soon as possible. I think he offers much more defensive security on the left than Eliseu does, and of course offers cover on both sides of defense. All in all happy this transfer window is over, now JJ can get going on buliding this new team without further distractions.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Stay_Toasty » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:42 pm

I was dissapointed that we didnt sign a striker but you cant fault us for trying. It is too bad but i think this gives us the the chance to really look at the guys we have and see what they can do. This cristante kid looks great and cant wait to see what type of player he becomes. Keeping Silvio was huge as well so i think we'll be fine.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby WPG Chop 11 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:47 pm

just a random question, according to various websites, valencia are only loaning Rodrigo, Andre Gomes, and Joao Cancelo... anybody can confirm this? or are they sold?
Açoriano AEu Morrer
WPG Chop 11
Junior

Postby Stay_Toasty » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:22 pm

By definition they are but due to Rodrigo and Andre Gomes being owned by third parties, after the year loan they will technically be free agents so they wont return unless they wanted to. Joao is still owned by us so unless they have a release clause, he will be returning.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby matt34nj » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:57 pm

Looks like we are the leading club to sign Jonas, who left Valencia out of contract and can sign on a free. He's 30, but has an impressive track record of scoring goals. He's lithe, quick, and has great movement. He could be a welcome addition to strengthen the attack and provide options. Although I personally would still like to see Bebe get a shot as a second striker and also get a good long look at Pizzi too...
matt34nj
First Team

Postby Mdot » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:54 am

Supposedly Jonas will be signed this Wednesday. It would be good to have an extra option upfront given the way our strikers have been playing.

*quick edit, I looked up this guy's stats, I hope we don't pay him too much in salary. I didn't see much in terms of results out of 2 seasons.
Mdot

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion