Summer Transfer Window 2014

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014

Postby BC/SLB » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:34 pm

Well Mdot and Stay Toasty, with LFV in charge I have learned never to say "no way"! Would you have really thought it possible back in May after we finished our fantastic season, that 2 months down the line we'd have lost 5 regular starters, plus Gomes and Cardozo too? 7 important players all sold off in just 2 months, still have hard to believe even now! As such nothing will surprise me anymore with LFV in charge.

And Ed, regarding your question, I think Luisao would be a monumental loss on various levels. Not just the fact that he's still one of the better CBs in Europe (even at 33), and the great experience he brings to the table, but just as importantly the leadership he brings to this team. He's the player that I have confidence will be able to steady the ship for this team after all the players gone, and be able to motivate the new players. It is absolutely imperative that O capitao remains with the team. Hopefully this is all just indeed paper talk.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mantorras77 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:15 pm

Wow! So the papers are reporting that Luisao asked to be sold for Zero!!! Also, that Benfica are willing to sell him but for 8mil and Juve only has offered 5mil. I don't think this is all paper talk. There's obviously some truth to this but i'm in agreement with you all...losing him is the nail in the coffin!

LFV says that he will only sell Enzo and Gaitan for there release clauses. I call bull sit!!! All this guy does is says one thing and does the opposite. He thinks the fans are idiots.

I admit I knew nothing about Karnezis either but only that he started for Greece but if this guy can't be the #1 at Udinese and Granada then why is he here????
Mantorras77
Junior

Postby BC/SLB » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:56 am

Yeah from what I've seen from the interview, LFV was holding back or leaving out some major details, namely how bad this debt is at the club. These numerous sales this summer were clearly for paying off the debt, but he doesn't seem to mention that. The fact is that the club seems as much in debt right now as it ever was, after 11 years of him being in charge. A lot of the responcibility for the continuation of this debt must fall on his shoulders.

The papers today are reporting our interest in the keeper Lindegaard. I like the sound of that, he hasn't played much at Man United, but Scandinavian keepers tend to be safe and dependable. I think he sounds like the best of the keepers we've been associated with this summer. Come on LFV, don't continue being a cheap skate, and get this guy to the club, we really need a keeper before the season starts.

We also need a new central striker. LFV said that Nelson Oliveira would be staying this season, does that mean he doesn't intend to get a new striker? So Nelson is intended to replace Cardozo, when the kid has a total scoring ratio of something like 1 goal every 5 games? We need a new established goalscorer, Lima ain't getting any younger and Derley hasn't looked anything too special so far, we need to get a reliable scorer in the squad, with Cardozo gone.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mantorras77 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:16 pm

he also mentioned in the interview that a defensive mid is on the way and should be named in the next couple days. We'll see about that.
Mantorras77
Junior

Postby Indaro » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:00 pm

In defence of LFV the debt hasnt increased by a lot but we gained a new stadium and training centre.
Indaro
Mascot

Postby Ed Gomes » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:14 pm

I actually like everything LFV said. We are a selling club, and people meet the asking price the players are gone. Please keep in mind if clubs come in with a 25 mil offer for a player that might have a ridiculous 60 mil tag on him, it's good enough.

He explained the Garay, Rodrigo, Gomes and Siqueira situations.

As for banking, I like his latest comments.
http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=494999

I'm sure there's always skimming off the top going on, but we've spent plenty. The concern is if we spent it wisely.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby inMotionSLB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:44 pm

Indaro wrote:In defence of LFV the debt hasnt increased by a lot but we gained a new stadium and training centre.

The Stadium was pre-LFV

Some good news today though is that we finally have a keeper in Julio Cesar :up
Granted his not the youngest but at this moment rather experience than potential. Hope he's our number one for this season for the saves he makes and not for the name on the back of his shirt
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Mantorras77 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:56 pm

inMotionSLB wrote:
Indaro wrote:In defence of LFV the debt hasnt increased by a lot but we gained a new stadium and training centre.

The Stadium was pre-LFV

Some good news today though is that we finally have a keeper in Julio Cesar :up
Granted his not the youngest but at this moment rather experience than potential. Hope he's our number one for this season for the saves he makes and not for the name on the back of his shirt

the same Julio Cesar that can't get a job at QPR??? Im thinking this is cause of the name on the back of his shirt. One of those LFV moves where he says, "See I got us a big name GK".
Mantorras77
Junior

Postby Mantorras77 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:21 pm

Bye bye Enzo! So still no Defensive Mid and now we lose arguably the best player on the team and in typical LFV fashion, no replacement ready. Now what??

Does JJ now promote Almeida to the holding-mid role and give Enzo's role to Amorim?
Mantorras77
Junior

Postby Ed Gomes » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:22 am

Striker, Def Mid, Center Back and Goalie are all an issue. Not good when the spine of the team is so frail.
Due to all the turnover, I just want to contend for and win the League Title.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Stay_Toasty » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:34 am

We finally sign a goalie and theres still negativity. Anyway i would never blame Cesar for the goals given up versus germany. None of the goals came from judgement calls or anything like that.

As far as Enzo leaving, isnt he always leaving? i havent heard anything new so next. We keep being linked to midfielders so im sure we will have one in now that we have the keeper position filled.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby Mdot » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:39 pm

I'm nervous about Cesar. Don't get me wrong, he's had an amazing career and is a top keeper but the last 1-2 seasons haven't been his best. I hope he can have a fresh start with us and get back to his top level. The question is, after the last two games do we just toss in Cesar or allow Artur another chance to defend his starting spot?
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:57 pm

Im happy with the signing of Julio Cesar. Yes he's not the keeper he was 5 or so years ago when he really was one of the very best keepers in the world, but he's still an above average keeper, with plenty of useful experience at the very highest level (winning Scudettos, CL finals, 2 World Cups etc).

People will point to those 7 goals against Germany, but the truth is none of those goals can be blamed on him, they must all be blamed on a shockingly non-existent Brasil defence in that match, and I don't think any keeper in the world would've prevented a rout in that particular match the way Brasil defended. Earlier in the tment though Cesar was one of Brasil's better players and really saved them against Chile.

I'm also happy the club is deciding to keep Artur in the squad and not pursue a second keeper as was being reported. Bringing in 2 brand new keepers and selling Artur would've been a big risk. Artur has his clear faults as we all know, but he's been at this club a long time now and knows the defence well. He's a good back up to have, especially in case Cesar takes some time to find his feet.

No talk lately on a new striker being signed. I hope the club is not intending to get one anymore because we need more goals in the squad imo. A player I would've liked is Eduardo Vargas, but I saw he's joining QPR on loan, a shame as we could've got him on loan and woulda been a good replacement for Rodrigo.

Still don't see the sense in having loaned out Djuricic, as he could've been an alternative to Enzo or even acted as a number 10 or second striker. To me the Djuricic and Cardozo deals make no sense at all. If we don't end up signing a new striker this summer, then perhaps Pizzi can be an option to play as a number 10 or even second striker playing off Lima. He has played in that position before in the past, and this might be an interesting alternative for our attack.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mantorras77 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:32 pm

@Ed Gomes totally agree!!!

@Stay_Toasty We signed a gk who wasn't good enough for QPR. It's not negativity. It's a fact. I'm hoping he excels trust me but I would rather the team sign and develop young talent, get a some good years out of them and then sell for big profits period. I understand the deal, we're in a financial crisis and he had an opportunity to sign a big name goalie for free. Would do it any day of the week.

@mdot As much as Artur is fighting for his job in an admirable fashion I think Julio's stardom appeal and experience can't be ignored. Myabe start Artur vs Boavista then unleash Julio on Sporting and see what he does.

@BC/SLB JJ stated that Djuricic couldn't seem to handle the wings nor central midfield positions, only the no10 role and since he doesn't use that role they loaned him out.

Regarding Pizzi, I remember JJ saying that he sees Pizzi as a creator of the game and will look to play him more centrally so that coincides with your thoughts.
Mantorras77
Junior

Postby Stay_Toasty » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:49 pm

The thing is, its not that he wasnt good enough for QPR. He got loaned away because they were in the second division and they didnt want to play that level of a guy. They loaned out all their top players to big clubs like taraabt. I think he hated playing for that team and he has high wages so they play greene. He's a goalkeeper that starts for one of the best teams in the world, is considered as one of the best in the world, won a CL title with Inter, and is playing with a team like QPR. Of course he asked to leave.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion