Winter Transfer News

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Winter Transfer News

Postby Ed Gomes » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:46 pm

Mdot, I have to disagree with the Silvio assessment. I think he's been poor when given a chance. Silvio cost Atletico 7 million euros in Jan. 2011, so I don't see him coming on the cheap. Then again, Atletico hasn't exactly needed him.

When it comes to January dealings, they never seem to work out when a club is buying. The prices tend to be inflated for even marginal talent. Granted it tends to help a club like ours.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Ed Gomes » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:33 am

Felt I had to submit the following;

Marcos Lopes played for Man City in the "Coffee Cup" match verse West Ham. By all accounts he played well, and has been playing well in the U-21 Premier League. He has 2 goals and 2 assists in 8 matches in the league.
Benfica sold him for 1 million euros in 2012 when he was a 16 year old. A lot of money for a 16 year old, but it might just be the worst piece of business done by LFV. He looks like the real deal.
It just so happens that Marcos Lopes looks like the real deal.
A bit disappointed, but happy to see him doing well.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby inMotionSLB » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:24 pm

Apparently Jorge Mendes has acquired rights for André Gomes for €15m, not sure what to make of it...
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby BC/SLB » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:04 pm

Yeah quite rediculous how the club has "sold" Andre Gomes to Mendes. This clearly means he will leave the club soon, if not this January window already, then surely in the summer. I posted recently about how I would like to see young Portuguese talents given more chances for Benfica, and now the most promising of the lot, Gomes, is going to be sold on. Typical behaviour from the club. Look at Marcos Lopes, we sold him immediately and now he's being tipped to be a huge star. Also Miguel Rosa, Nelson etc etc

Yesterday we finished the match with 9 Portuguese players, but this was only because it was an unimportant cup match, how many of those would've seen the field if it was a more important match? The club has to start putting more faith in the talented local youngsters, instead of always giving priority to foreign players who come for a season or at most 2, and then move on. We have to start building more stability for the future imo, and giving the local talent more chances in the team is key to this.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:51 pm

While I want to see more Portuguese players, regardless of nationality 15million for a bteam player that has had a few games with the main team is a crazy sum of cash. If I flip things around and ask if I be happy if Benfica spent 15million on a Sporting/Porto bteam prospect that looks a little bit promising for a role we have more then enough talent in? I would think it was a huge waste of cash.

Gomes is very promising but at this point in time he's just promising, 15million got us a player like Salvio that was still young and extremely experienced, so I don't blame the club for accepting the offer but I also don't want to see him using up mins that could go to some of our other players.

On another note looks like Mika is done with the club and has cancelled his contract with us... I loved this kid in the U-20 world cup when broke the keeper record. He looked promising at Leiria when he was getting mins. However I don't know what happened recently on the bteam, he wasn't getting any mins. Also if Oblak is our main keeper now, there is little chance he will get to break out, so this is the best move for him and I wish the kid luck.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:55 pm

I know that people will go nuts about the Gomes deal, but it's great piece of business by Benfica. We are selling a B Squad player for 15 million. Are you kidding me? It's fantastic business. We know Gomes potential the best, and even if he blows up three years from now, we are getting 15 million now. He might sell for 20 to 25 at his best.
That being said, who has Benfica lost that's go on to make us look bad.
I don't even put Marcos on that boat. We sold him when he was 16 for 1 million euros. One million euros for a sixteen year old. No brainer.

The bigger question people should be asking is whether an agent buying a player outright is good for the game?
Granted, clubs want to make as much money as possible no matter where the player goes, Bruno Cesar's deal comes to mind, but they at least have vested interest in the player before the deal. If Gomes stays with us after January, is Benfica forced to play Gomes? It actually frees them from any responsibility, and that can't be good for the player.
Also, the agent will push a player to the better offer, meaning selling value. While a team may do the same, the player normally will get better wages which he'll negotiate.
The agent would also want the player to get better wages, but if he has to cut/diminish something, it will be the wages before the selling price.

The big issue is that he's Portuguese, so everyone is up in arms. If he was Brazilian, nobody would care.

As for Mika, he's fallen a long way. Not sure what's happened with him, maybe attitude. I find it interesting that nobody has come for him. He was only able to get a deal with Atletico, who sits last in the Liga de Honra.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby CowCoentrao » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:06 pm

When I saw highlights for the B team last year, Mika made some big mistakes. We have Bruno Varela who took his spot in the B team so it's best for both Benfica and Mika that he goes. Also, out of the former U-20 keepers, Jose Sa looks the more likely to make it, fighting for a spot in Maritimo. He was in Benfica's youth team in 2011.
CowCoentrao
Junior

Postby Ed Gomes » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:28 pm

Am I wrong to say that a lot of the guys coming off the U-21 squad that did well, have disappointed. It almost seems as if some thought they had made it and were owed a spot. Just thought.

A few new names are popping up in transfer talk. Almeida to West Brom, Mori and Inter being linked, etc... Although there's a lot of stuff just thrown up in the air, I don't dismiss anything until the window closes. Hate the last second sales.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:55 pm

I’m in the same boat, I can’t wait for the transfer window to close. I truly hope we don’t sell Almeida, unlike Gomes position, we don’t really have too much depth in the RB position. Silvio is a loan and even though Almeida don’t attack as much as Maxi, he’s a quality player and can play in a mix of defensive positions. So I wouldn’t be too happy if he was sold (unless it’s for stupid money).

As for Mori, I can’t see an Italian team paying much and we don’t need to cash so I say keep him. He’s showing a lot of promise. Also with Cardozo and Lima aging we need more striker options. I get worried that if Rodrigo has a good season that we’ll get into some serious transfer battles to try to keep him. Last thing I would hate to see is Lima/Cardozo fading away due to age and Rodrigo sold in the summer leaving us with little striker options.

On the manager note, we had made it clear that Aimar would be welcome back at our club at the manager level and he gave his thoughts on that recently. It seems like he would be interested in coming back and I think with the B-team it would be a great way to get him some experience or just put him under JJ. I remember he used to always be on the sidelines with JJ talking about tactics so he already knows our style, it would make sense to bring him in for the day that JJ eventually leaves. Unlike JJ, Aimar has a greater understanding of playing the game.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:28 pm

I don't actually think we have TONS of depth in central midfield to be honest. With Matic gone, I was really thinking that Gomes could help JJ to rotate in the midfield (Gomes has some similar qualities to Matic), which is why I hope he stays until the summer (he might still do). If both Matic and Gomes are gone this January, Enzo will end up being run into the ground like he was last season. Gomes could've rotated the number 8 position of Enzo, for example in the EL and in the Tacas.

Yes 15 million is a lot of money for a youngster who hasn't played much. However I would've preferred to have got 15 million for Gaitan for example, as I think Gomes has more long term potential (and even potential value) than the inconsistent Argentine. Interest in Gaitan seems to have really disappeared though. Anyway the good thing about these 2 sales is hopefully the money enables us to hang on to Garay and Rodrigo for the rest of the season, because both those guys will be crucial to our second half of the season.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby JonM » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:23 pm

I agree with BC/SLB. If Gomes departs, than we'll be extremely thin in the midfield, especially at #8. That will leave us with Enzo, Amorim, Fejsa, and Almeida. We could always promote someone like Ruben Pinto or Joao Teixeira from the B-team, but I'm not sure if either of them are ready to make the step up.
JonM
Mascot

Postby Ed Gomes » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:19 pm

I don't disagree that we'll be a bit thin in midfield with Enzo, Amorim and Fejsa. Almeida, if he stays, and Gaitan could also provide cover. Keep in mind that JJ can go ahead and deploy 4-4 (Diamond)-2 with Djuricic as a #10, should Enzo go down. Dare I say even Markovic as a third forward. Basically having Rodrigo and Markovic playing off Cardozo. Not ideal, but it may never come to that.

I was going to joke about Martins being available, but I threw up in my mouth.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby BC/SLB » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:57 am

There's even talk today on the last day of the window that Djuricic could also be sold, Newcastle are apparently interested. Hopefully these are just rumours. If both him and Gomes joined Matic in leaving the club, what options would we have left for central midfield? Not a lot! Imagine then one of the remaining midfielders gets a serious injury in the coming months? It's imperative that at least one (preferably both) of Gomes and Djuricic stays on until the summer, so that the midfield can be properly rotated across the 4 competitions we are fighting for.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Ed Gomes » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:03 pm

I know that Djuricic has looked unhappy about playing time, but he's a talent. I'm sure he feels he can do better, stature and wage wise, than Newcastle if he produces. I doubt Russia will come in for a big money offer for such an unknown commodity at this time. Still a young guy, that just needs to settle.

Gomes could and will probably go if anything comes for him. Remember that he's now owned by an organization. If they send him off on loan, they will collect a percentage, player be dammed. He will bounce around Europe or wherever else, as long as the Org collects. You can actually say that they will prefer to loan instead of sell. That way they collect off loan fees and players wages. Sad.

On the other hand, a lot of chirping about Garay heading out after the "Derby". I know Benfica will be cashing in (50%), and hopefully Garay will get a nice bump in wages. But it's sad to see him go to Russia. No offense, I didn't want him to disappear like Axel or even Hulk.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby JonM » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:34 pm

I'm hoping that we can hold onto Garay until the end of the season, but Zenit seems adamant on signing him ASAP. There's been a lot of talk about Luis Neto being part of the deal. I must admit that he's looked pretty solid when I've seen him play for the Seleccao, but I've also read that he has failed to impress in Russia after showing so much promise in Italy.
JonM
Mascot

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion