Winter Transfer News

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Winter Transfer News

Postby Mdot » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:53 pm

Matic is supposedly a done deal at 26million and has officially said good bye. We'll miss him but I find that price tag is a little low. Maybe us getting 40m for Witsel set the bar kinda high but I still would have at least liked to have see around the 30 range or a player coming back our way.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:38 pm

Yep Matic looks like a done deal. I agree 26 million is a little low, well below his buy-out clause! Will we miss him in the midfield? Yes, for sure. Am I sad to see him leave? No. I really only want players at this club who want to play for us. If Matic demanded to be sold, so be it, let him go.

This club is bigger than any individual players, and players (i.e Nolito, Axel etc) who think they are too big a fish for the Portuguese Liga can move on, so will we like always. Besides we didn't win anything with Matic in the team anyway, so he's not exactly irreplaceable now, is he?

I wish him the best at Chelsea, but I find it quite disappointing that he would want to go back to the club that never wanted him in the first place and offloaded him to us. A slight lack of orgulho, if you ask me....especially when you consider other clubs like Man City and Real Madrid were also interested.

Well the options (unless we buy someone else) to replace him at DM are Fejsa, Amorim and Andre Almeida. None of these guys are of the same class as Matic, but any of them could do a good job there. What I would like to see with Matic gone, is Andre Gomes given much more opportunity in our midfield. Gomes possesses some of the same qualities as Matic: great passing and positioning and a dynamic influence on the midfield, and with a proper DM (Amorim or Fejsa) behind him, he could make a difference to our midfield.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby JonM » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:10 pm

I agree that we could have sold him for more. He is certainly worth more to us than the likes of Garcia, Witsel, David Luiz, etc. His presence at the heart of our midfield will surely be missed, especially against Porto, Sporting, and in Europe. Nevertheless, I am still confident that we have enough quality and depth to win the league title without him.

Fejsa obvious lacks Matic' energy, athleticism, creativity, and technical quality, but he is tactically sound, solid defensively, and keeps things simple in possession. However, he is the only proper #6 on the entire squad. If he gets injured, who else could step up and replace him. Enzo is at his best when given the licence to bomb forward in an all-action, box-to-box role. Amorim can play there, but he lacks the defensive qualities to truly excel in that role. Gomes is undoubtedly talented, but he lacks the maturity and tactical discipline to play as a solitary defensive midfielder. In fact, I feel he would be best utilized in a double pivot (4-2-3-1) alongside a more combative, defensively sound midfield partner.

It will be fascinating to see how JJ adjusts his system to compensate for the loss of such an integral member of the team. I fear that none of our potential #6's (including Fejsa) are capable of playing that role in a 4-4-2. Both central midfielders in that formation require tremendous amounts of stamina as well as tactical discipline, especially when competing against 3-man midfields (almost all of our opposition). Therefore, JJ may be forced to make a permanents switch to a more balanced variation of the 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 formation.

We certainly have the personnel to play with a three man midfield. Fejsa can play as a #6 in a 4-3-3; and Gomes, Amorim, and Enzo can play as an #8 in both the 4-3-3 and the 4-2-3-1. Moreover, we have three quality #10's with their own distinct styles in Gaitan, Markovic, and Djuricic.
JonM
Mascot

Postby Forcaslb29 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:46 am

I wish Matic nothing but the worst. that fucking cunt, first he trades his shirt with Fernando and then this shit. Really, Chelsea was that important that you had to in January...you, Javi Garcia, witsel, david luiz all talk big game, oh Benfica will always be in my heart...fuck all of you and don't come back.

Fesja had a great game today against Leixoes which was nice to see.
Forcaslb29
First Team

Postby miklos-russia » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:46 pm

i watch a lot of Russian championship games, it's part of the work also, so i have to watch it, and Zenit of course. That's why i don't want to see Neto in Benfica. it's an awful transfer for Zenit, and that's definitely not we need as a replacement of Garay.
I thought, that he has to adapt for some months maybe, but they year passed and Neto is still looking terrible.
miklos-russia
First Team

Postby Mdot » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:08 pm

I fully agree on almost all of them. The only one I would disagree on is David Luiz. He was with us from 2006 to 2010, we've seen him come back on several training sessions and games, so I'll believe that he's a fan of the club. To me Javi talks alot about our club but part of me thinks it's because he feels no love at City.

As for transfer news, there were images of Ola John and JJ arguing again on the side lines, so more then ever I feel that he'll get sold or loaned out. Hamberg is the newest club connected with him.

Rodrigo keeps making headlines on the transfer side but I think it's mostly the papers and I really hope we don't sell him. Rumors are that Cardozo may need surgery which will take him out for another 3months and I'm not about ready to see Lima become our only striker. As much as I want Nelson to develop, I believe it's a season long loan, so we need Rodrigo to stay. These Russian clubs scare me in terms of the willingness to drop crazy money.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:25 pm

Is that serious that Cardozo could still be out for months? Don't say! I was hoping he'd be back in action for the derby with Sporting next month. Well as you say, all the more imperative now that we keep hold of Rodrigo this January. Talk of him leaving seem to have eased up at the moment, although in January you just never know until the deadline is over, as we all know so well.

I think with Matic gone, our defensive quality will be affected, so it's important that we also try hard to keep Garay, at least until the summer. There's talk of Lisandro being recalled if Garay goes, but by all accounts Lisandro hasn't been anything special for Getafe, who have one of the worst defensive records in La Liga. Neto is a decent centre back, but nowhere near as good as Garay, so if the Argentine does go, we will be weaker defensively for sure, whoever replaces him. The January window is always a stressful time for our club, let it finish already, lol!

It seems Ola John is going to Hamburg until the end of the season. I think he's a player with a lot of potential who JJ hasn't been able to get the best out of. Perhaps regular play in the Bundesliga will be good for him and he returns in the summer with recharged batteries. Recalling Pizzi might be a good move, to replace Ola in the squad. Pizzi can also play as an attacking central midfielder or second striker, which would give us more options. And Salvio's return will give us a boost in options from the flanks. So there's always solutions, and this will remain a strong squad, even if more players leave this January window.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby inMotionSLB » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:52 pm

Cardozo should be back by Sporting.

And Ola John going to Hamburg is a good move, hopefully he learns the ethics of hard work and "dont dwell on the ball for too long!" and come back a better player
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby matt34nj » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:18 pm

@BC I still dont think Garay goes anywhere until after the world cup is finished. He has fierce competition on the NT and just recently became a 1st choice CB for Argentina. I dont think he would jeopardize that with a January transfer and possible put his spot at risk. Plus, lots of "big name" teams are looking for CB help so there will always be a market for a player like him.

However, if Garay does go, I still say Steven Vitoria is the man for a job. He was a beast for Estoril last season and has looked capable when called upon. Not sure why he hasn't unseated Jardel as the 3rd choice. IMO, he could even get a look as a Defensive mid. I believe the deadline to recall Lopez from Getafe expired the other day...
matt34nj
First Team

Postby miklos-russia » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:20 pm

according to www.sportsdirectnews.com we can buy Rubin Kazan defensive midfelder Yann M'Vila
he is 23, a very interesting french player. some people said that he is a bit crazy, but he was quiet in Rubin and played well.
Rubin changed the coach, so it's possible that M'Vila is going to ask for a transfer.
Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton and Napoli are also interested in M'Vila.

I think that M'Vila is a good replacement for Matic.
miklos-russia
First Team

Postby CowCoentrao » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:11 am

M'Vila is a very well known player. I don't think he'll go unnoticed by English teams and they can offer a lot more salary than we can.

I don't think LFV would offer the money needed. If we didn't need money, we wouldn't have sold Matic.
CowCoentrao
Junior

Postby MichaelSLB » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:23 pm

We supposedly interested in Michy Batshuayi...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... yi-3029206

Everton boss Roberto Martinez faces a fight with Benfica for top striker target Michy Batshuayi.

Standard Liege's exciting young star Batshuayi is wanted by the Toffees, who will have to pay £7million up front to land him as Nikica Jelavic's replacement.

But now Portuguese giants Benfica have stepped into the chase. They are looking at Batshuayi as a potential replacement for Rodrigo Moreno, who is a target for Russia's Zenit St Petersburg.

Standard have already warned off Martinez - although they may sell to Everton in the summer as a compromise.

Moreno, who had an unimpressive loan spell in England with Bolton in 2010-11, could move before the weekend, so Martinez might have to find the cash sharpish to win the race for Batshuayi.

The 20-year-old Belgian has been training on his own this week after Everton's interest became public and Standard went to war with his agent for revealing his fixed fee.
MichaelSLB
First Team

Postby Ed Gomes » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:26 pm

I don't see us spending any significant amount of money in january. In my opinion, the only reason we didn't sell last summer, was due to the extra money coming in for the CL Final being at The Luz.
With Matic going, we are now at + 1 Million Euros in this campaigns transfer market.

I thought the loan of Ola was a great piece of business. Ola hash't fared well with JJ and he was an expensive transfer. We will now make some money off him, and hopefully increase his value back up.

I'm hoping that we hang onto Rodrigo. His form is coming back to the level that it was at before the Alves foul in the Zenit match last campaign. I've always been a huge fan, and I think he fits the mold of the modern striker. One that has movement and is clever off the ball, creating space for himself and teammates.
We're still in need of a LeftBack. Siqueira has been exactly what we need, but he's on loan until the end of the campaign. I'm not sure of his buyout clause, but his value is around 8 million euros.
I've always been in the thought that Garay was gone this January, if we din't advance in the CL. CenterBack is a position where there's a need in a lot of big clubs. We only own 50%, so I'm not sure if that will hamper any deal. I understand that Garay wants to stay, in order to solidify his Word Cup spot, but wherever he goes he should start. Man United should be coming in for him.
Nico's situation is baffling. His deal runs through 2016, and he cost us just under 8.5 million euros. His value sits around 18 million euros at this time, so anything above that would most certainly see him off. His play has improved as of late, so we'll see.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:24 am

The best thing about the Ola loan is that it takes his salary off our books play we earn just under 1 million. Hopefully he'll get some playing time which will help him continuing to improve on his game and keep up his transfer value in case someone wants to buy him in the summer.

Over the years we have finally played the transfer window well with some massive sells in the transfer market in the past two seasons. It's allowed for this pet projects such as building a museum, juniors/b-team, and investments at various levels of the club. I agree with Ed that there is no reason/need to sell on our part after the cash for Matic.

Now we have a squad full of depth and our youth talent is outstanding. I see no need to dip into the transfer market on our part. If anything just use some of the extra cash to improve salaries to help keep some of our current talent longer.

As for Siqueira, I had heard that Real bought but he'll stay on loan. I don't know if that's true. If not I say he would be a worth the cash. Alternatively Silvio has also been impressive and I wouldn't mind him staying.
Mdot

Postby JonM » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:11 pm

I was always a fan of OJ, but he and JJ never seemed to get along. He is a quality player who deserves consistent playing time in a strong league. Hopefully, he'll get that in Germany. I'm not too worried about his departure since we have several decent options on the wings.
JonM
Mascot

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion