Winter Transfer News

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Winter Transfer News

Postby Mdot » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:45 pm

So the transfer window is basically done outside of Russia and Zenit's push on Garay... I'll take Neto, he could be a great player for us but I think we would only get him in the summer?
Mdot

Postby miklos-russia » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:07 pm

Neto could be a great player on the bench, I'm sure. He will be even greater, if he plays for B-team, but not for the main squad lol

Siena player is not Benfica level at all.

I just CAN'T see any reasons of getting Neto. Then why can't we play with Miranda instead of Luisao ???

okay, JJ, you know what to do. we'll see. but it's a big mistake to give away Garay and call Neto instead. omg, it's just terrible.
miklos-russia
First Team

Postby Ed Gomes » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:29 pm

Neto has been poor, and he was supposed to replace the poor Alves. Not good for the Selecao.

I don't want anyone back in making weight on any transfer deal, unless it's someone young with huge upside.
I'll sad seeing Garay go to Zenit. If it does happen, I hope we get a ton for him. He deserves better.
Still not sure why Man United didn't come in for him. Oh Yeah, Moyes is an idiot.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby matt34nj » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:15 am

The whole Garay situation is rather confusing. The article that I recently read (I think on Mais futebol) said that his buyout could only be activated during the January transfer window. Garay supposedly didnt bite on Zenit's first offer for personal terms, so that scrapped the deal. Since then, Zenit has probably come back with some crazy offer that he cannot turn down. My question is this: Since Madrid has an even 50% of his rights, who gets the final say on the transfer? LFV or Florentino?

I think that Garay would start for Argentina this summer irregardless of where he plays for the next few months. But damn, I really wanted to keep him for a few years. Not sure why Madrid never came back for him. He is 27-28 and in his absolute prime. Solid Cb's are always in demand and offers should have flooded in.
matt34nj
First Team

Postby Mdot » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:28 am

I think if they trigger the buyout, then neither Real or Benfica have a say and it's up to the player if he wants to leave. If they throw stupid money at him I wouldn't be shocked if he goes. While 27 is the prime, he's likely thinking that if he doesn't go this year, then next year he's 28 and I bet at some point players start wondering if they'll get that massive salary like some other guys have received.

Maybe I'm being thick headed but I'm not worried if he gets sold. I look at our competition in our liga, the quality/depth of our squad and I could deal with either Jardel or Vitoria taking over. Against top opposition we could have problems, which could mean issues in the later rounds of the EL. However for our liga, I think Sporting a still a bit over hyped and Porto is no where near their best, we should be able to take this title even if we lose Garay.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:01 am

Firstly it's a totally unfair system that Russia gets another month of the window and their clubs are able to buy players from all over Europe, while the European clubs can't buy their players, or replace their players that leave. If Neto was included in the deal, we could only get him in the summer...how does that benefit us? They get our player now, but we only get their player after the season is over. Where's the logic in this? Uefa has to force Russia to adopt the same rules as the rest of Europe, full stop.

I hope for our sake and for Garay's himself, that he stays put until the summer. In the summer (and especially after playing at the WC)...I'm sure he would get the chance to get a big salary at a club in a proper strong league like Spain or England. By moving now to Russia, yes he would get a big fat salary, but would risk totally falling off the radar. Just like Witsel, remember him? 2 years ago playing for us he looked like one of the most promising midfielders in the world, he then chased the money in Russia and now we haven't heard about him again!

As for us, I agree with Mdot that Jardel or Vitoria alongside Luisao could be strong enough to still win the Liga. However it would leave us very short of options at CB. If one of the remaining 3 CBs got a serious injury, that would leave us with only 2 options! I really hope for our sake too that Garay remains until the summer. I have to say though that the club should've anticipated this scenario (Russian window being opened another month)...as a result why wasn't Lisandro recalled from his loan (for cover), and why on earth was Mitrovic loaned out last month? Any club needs 4 options for CB, and the club should've been aware of this. Anyway hopefully Garay is smart and patient and waits until after the World Cup for his big move.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Ed Gomes » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:28 pm

I too, am surprised that Real hasn't come in for Garay. I wonder what could have possibly taken place that they've soured on him.

The only advantage that clubs like ours have from the Russian transfer market being extended, is that they tend to overpay for our talent. It's there last resort in obtaining talent, and we do benefit from that.
Lastly, clubs do make money off players being in the World Cup. It's been reported that Real will make an additional 20 to 30 million off Cristiano's world cup appearance. Clubs will want to bring in players before the World Cup, so they can cash in on it. Argentina being favorites also helps.

I just don't want Neto back. We have capable center backs to fill in. We've just brought in Lopez (4 million euros) and Vitoria, and have Jardel. Let's not forget Sidney is still on the books. LOL.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby miklos-russia » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:12 am

BC/SLB wrote: Firstly it's a totally unfair system that Russia gets another month of the window and their clubs are able to buy players from all over Europe, while the European clubs can't buy their players, or replace their players that leave. If Neto was included in the deal, we could only get him in the summer...how does that benefit us? They get our player now, but we only get their player after the season is over. Where's the logic in this? Uefa has to force Russia to adopt the same rules as the rest of Europe, full stop.

system is fair, because all the other countries can start their championships in january and february. and Russia can't because of the climate. we start in march. or u want us to play in snow?

BC/SLB wrote: Just like Witsel, remember him? 2 years ago playing for us he looked like one of the most promising midfielders in the world, he then chased the money in Russia and now we haven't heard about him again!

he will play in a playoff CL game against BVB. he will go to the World Cup with Belgium. u sure u haven't heard about him? Russian league becomes more popular, then Portuguese. It's just a fact. he'd better go to a top-club in Europe, but that's another story.
miklos-russia
First Team

Postby BC/SLB » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:24 pm

@Miklos...I don't want to cause offense to your League mate, sorry if it came across that way! However I have to repeat, leaving Benfica to join Zenit is only a step up in salary...it's a step down in quality and in prestige. That's a fact imo! Garay should be patient, just like Witsel before him should've been patient, because this summer after the WC he can join a proper big club in Europe (I'm sorry but Zenit are not yet in that category).

Regarding the transfer window, fine the Russian league starts in March...but that shouldn't change the fact that Russian clubs should have the same january window as all the other European countries. It's simply unfair that they can buy players in february, and nobody can buy their players, or replace the players they've lost.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby miklos-russia » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:09 pm

BC/SLB wrote:@Miklos...I don't want to cause offense to your League mate, sorry if it came across that way! However I have to repeat, leaving Benfica to join Zenit is only a step up in salary...it's a step down in quality and in prestige.

no offense, it's just an interesting thing to discuss ;) i'm not a biggest fan of my country, truly speaking.
but well, I don't agree with you. yes, Zenit isn't better than Benfica, but Russian league is stronger at the moment, and maybe it's an easier way to come to a european top-club from here. it's just my opinion, because i watch both leagues instead of EPL, serie A, Bundesliga, etc.

Of course, at first - Garay's next transfer (as Hulk and Witsel too) it's a question of money. but it's not the end of career at all. I hate such clubs like Anzhi, who got not history but lots of money. It's not normal. But Zenit .. it's another story. It's not a step down. It's not a step in any other way.

Yes, some clubs in Russia are rich. Don't be angry with that. Everybody wants to be rich. Russia is a country of rich businessmen and poor people. We must ask not rich clubs but players "hey, maybe you better choose Football instead of Money and go to Man Utd instead of Zenit?"

As for the transfer window, i can't still understand you, sorry. Of course, I agree, that the system must work for the whole Europe. But it can happen only if the climate in Europe is the same in every country. We physically CAN'T start at winter.
Okay.
Imagine, that the transfer window closes in Portugal at the begining of July. Just 40 days before the starting game Benfica can't buy any player. Is that fair? It doesn't really matter what I'm talking about - winter or summer transfer window.
miklos-russia
First Team

Postby Mdot » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:50 pm

I think the issue with the transfer window has less to do when the league starts and more to do with fairness. In your example Miklos, I would gladly deal with our window closing 40days before the season starts if it means that all leagues are under the same deadline, at least at that point we can plan out our season 40days in advance, get our team and not worry about losing talent before the season starts.

On the Witsel example, we sold Javi to balance our books and keep Witsel. The window closed and we were set for our season to only have Witsel snapped up just as we had started our season. It screwed us up and in fairness we can't got back into the window to spend that money.

Another option is if a nations window is closed, you can't buy from that nation, therefore the Russians can keep their window the same, once the rest of Europe closes, they just have to deal with transfers in other leagues that are still open.

As for comparing the leagues, two extremely different leagues, you have Anzhi that spent more then any Portuguese club and couldn't win anything and was terrible in Europe, so rich clubs don't mean anything, however it can't be denied that there are a boat load of billionaires in Russia that play football manager with clubs there and in a twisted kinda way makes it very interesting.It won't shock me if one day we see some of their clubs get European titles. From a fan's perspective I've always loved fan controlled clubs like ours because they truly play for the fans. I think our transfer policy continues to slowly build the team up and each year over the past 5 years we have become more competitive, our youth system is improving, and we are being able to hold on to our players for larger buyouts. So we are on track to continue to increase our competitiveness.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:09 pm

Portuguese fans tend to overvalue our league, because of Benfica, Porto's and Sporting's prestige in Europe. The facts are that the drop off in talent is tremendous as you head down the table.
I think the same could be said about the Russian League. Except that a lot of tehir European push has come lately. I could be wrong.

As for Witsel taking the money, Benfiquistas shouldn't be fooling themselves. Benfica, the club, wanted to cash in on him as well.
We made Bruno Cesar go to the outer reaches of the futebol world, for the cash. But that apparently was ok, due to Bruno struggling.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Previous

Return to Latest News and General Discussion