Champions League Draw

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Champions League Draw

Postby inMotionSLB » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Full schedule draw on planetbenfica.co.uk and here as a PDF from UEFA http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Dow ... WNLOAD.pdf
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Re: Champions League Draw

Postby CowCoentrao » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:29 pm

Olympiacos games should be interesting. Roberto will return to the Luz. :lol:

Saviola too but he'll probably get a better reception.
CowCoentrao
Junior

Postby miklos-russia » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Congratulations about the good draw. All games will be interesting. Lots of goals must be scored in every game. We are stronger than PSG and we will show it, I hope.

Carrega Benfica
miklos-russia
First Team

Postby slbquista » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:38 pm

Well that group is very manageable! (Famous last words)

Funny about Roberto...We will surely score five against them. :-D

PSG will be very tough with some of the players on their team - they are a collection of players and big egos and not such a team as we are though so I think we can take them!
Also should get some good support in Paris!
slbquista
Substitute

Postby BC/SLB » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:49 pm

This is a good draw for us no doubt about it. While the champions league is always tough and nothing can be taken for granted, you still have to say that if Benfica can't qualify from this group then we are not nearly as strong as we think we are.

Looking at the squads and CL experience of all 4 teams, you have to think we will get out of this group. However some caution is in order as well, last season it was the same situation and we failed to qualify. However last season's group was tougher. There is no Barca this time and we are capable of beating all 3 of these teams at home and nicking something away. Should be exciting!
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby inMotionSLB » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:19 pm

Roberto? He'll haunt us, it's my feeling
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Ed Gomes » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Champions League is never easy. We somehow manage to fail last campaign. Squad turnover, league play and travel will all come into play.

I'm not sold on PSG being this huge powerhouse. Blanc is far from a good manager, amd although Cavani and Ibra are big talents, Ibra could blow it all up. PSG could dominate or fall apart.
It's always tough to go to Greece, and Anderlecht did win its league

We should advance, but a lot could happen between now and the CL matches. If JJ and the club "shit the bed" in the upcoming matches, it will all blow up.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby MichaelSLB » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:31 pm

I'm happy to see that we play our first game at home... We have a decent record winning the first game at home.
MichaelSLB
First Team

Postby Mdot » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:06 pm

Not a bad group stage draw considering how many quality teams there are.

2015/16 UEFA Champions League group stage draw
Group A: Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, Malmö

Group B: PSV Eindhoven, Manchester United, CSKA Moskva, Wolfsburg

Group C: Benfica, Atlético, Galatasaray, Astana

Group D: Juventus, Manchester City, Sevilla, Borussia Mönchengladbach

Group E: Barcelona, Bayer Leverkusen, Roma, BATE Borisov

Group F: Bayern München, Arsenal, Olympiacos, Dinamo Zagreb

Group G: Chelsea, Porto, Dynamo Kyiv, Maccabi Tel-Aviv

Group H: Zenit, Valencia, Lyon, Gent
Mdot

Postby Stay_Toasty » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:15 pm

Our draw could have been better, but it could also have been much worse. We are definitely the #2 team there but over the past few years, we have been in that position and let them #3 team overtake us like Celtic etc. We need to worry about galatasaray and make sure we secure those points. Also, have to go so far to Kazakstan won't be fun but it is what it is.
Stay_Toasty
Junior

Postby d20 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:21 am

Could be worse.
Galatasaray has Snejder and Podolski, but turkish football isn't really good last years. They are full of stars and good coaches, but there is no result at all. There were a lot of strong teams in the 3rd pot.

Astana is a good team, I saw some of their matches. It's not so strong, but may be dangerous especially after 8-hours flight to their city. Their left winger (Foxy) is also dangerous for our youngster on the RB position. Buy anyway we must take 6 points.

3 - Atletico, 4 - Galatasaray, 6 - Astana = 13 pts will be enough. would be great to get it.
d20
Junior

Postby BC/SLB » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:29 pm

I agree, coulda been better and coulda been worse. Hard to tell at this point cos we still appear to be in preseason mode. In terms of potential we should be strong enough to make it out of this group but we need to improve big time from what we saw in the opening two liga games.

It was similar levels of groups in recent seasons when most fans expected to qualify but as we all know we underachieved and crashed out. So I'm more cautious this time. We have to win our home games and nick something on the road.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:34 pm

We've been knocked out by easier groups, but that was under JJ. Given how many quality squads we've had, its a joke have struggled to make it out of the group stages. Lets see how Vitoria does in Europe. Given the group, I agree that we should get points from all teams. Just need to manage some wins/draws away and we should be through.

At least our first game is at home against Astana, that should give us a nice warm up before the harder matches. The Galatasaray and Altletico match ups will also decide how close this group will be, if they split their wins, then us getting points away becomes even more important.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:10 am

I'm in agreement, it could have been a lot worse. That being said, everyone dismisses the hefty travel and extreme weather the club will face.
Starting at home agains a weak opponent could get us going, but I would have rather of faced them now, on the road, in early fall instead of later during winter.
I also read the Galatasaray manager say that he was thrilled with the draw. I like that confidence, and frankly I wish we would get some swagger quickly.
Getting any points off Atletico will be very, very difficult.

We have to remember this isn't a popularity or "biggest club" contest. We haven't played well in the CL with far better squads against weaker competition. If we continue on this course, we can expect to be out of Europe completely.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby BC/SLB » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:27 pm

Well we drew Zenit in the round of 16! A good draw for us no doubt about it, Zenit or Man City were the draws I was hoping for. Of course Zenit are a tough opponent, with good players and a good manager, and we will have to be at our best to get past them. However there were much more difficult opponents we could have faced instead, Barca, Madrid and Bayern were the teams to really avoid.

I think we have some unfinished business against Villa Boas. He beat us a bunch of times with 2 different clubs in recent years (Porto and Zenit) but that was us under JJ, whom he had in his pocket. It will be intesting to see how much better Vitoria fares against him.

The second leg will be played in Russia in early March. It will still be cold in Russia at that time, but not as cold having to go there in November/December. This could well be important.

I'm pleased with the draw and believe we will have a great chance to reach the quarters. With a couple of additions to the squad in January (a left back and another attack minded winger), plus Salvio hopefully returning asap, I think we could be a lot stronger come February, than we have been in the early stages of the season so far.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Next

Return to Latest News and General Discussion