Summer Transfer Market 2013

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Summer Transfer Market 2013

Postby BC/SLB » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:27 pm

What is it with leftbacks and Benfica? Lol! So Melgarejo was sold outright then? Two seasons back JJ plays a dodgy leftback, Emerson, virtually every game of the season (with a better alternative kept on the bench) and then sold him in the summer. Last season JJ plays a dodgy leftback virtually every game and then sells him in the summer. Now Cortez looks to be in the same category as those 2, will the same pattern follow? Probably!

Well a couple of hours left in the transfer window and still no big players have left our club yet this season. This might change of course in the next couple of hours, but it's looking good at this point. Things seem to have changed in our financial situation, the club spent a fair bit this summer, and don't seem like they have to sell, and even played hard-bargain on cheap offers for Cardozo. How things are changing! Well if we don't lose anyone in the next two hours and we get this leftback Siqueira, then the squad is looking very strong on paper.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Ed Gomes » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:10 pm

I still think that Emerson was more of a scapegoat, then anything else. People forget that he came after Coentrao, which was never going to be easy. I wouldn't have minded if he stayed another campaign. The only decent thing was that we only lost 500,000 on his sale, which we got back with Capdevilla's sale.
Mel (UGH) was bought for 760,000 euros, so the 5 million is good piece of business.
I agree that Cortez has not been the player I expected. There just seems to be something missing. As for Silvio, he looked awful so I can only hope that was due to injury.
Again, people scream about not enough Portuguese at the big clubs, but who exactly would start at our club? The guys that went abroad are on big wages and don't want to come back. The guys in the league just aren't good enough. It is what it is.

We're currently at -21,300,000 euros, which should be ok due to Group Stage CL money.

I think that Benfica is in a good place financially, but we really need a quick turnaround on the field. There seems to be something lacking, so I can only hope things will get sorted out after the transfer window closes.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby inMotionSLB » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:13 pm

Siqueira deal is all up in the air, no idea what's going on
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby slbquista » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:00 am

Great news to see our deal done with Siqueira!
As far as I know it's a done deal now, we announced it on Benfica TV last night after the dealine - would seem we moved too fast for Real to do any thing and so they scuppered the Coentrao deal as a result of that. Funny chain reaction really - shame for Fabio!
slbquista
Substitute

Postby LaliPro » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:59 am

Don't forget, that the transfer window was closed in Europe, but not in Russia and Turkey. Remember the Witsel transfer from last year. I hope there isn't big money for our players in these countries.
LaliPro
Junior

Postby Ed Gomes » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:07 pm

Coentrao was never going to reduce his wages to the extent necessary, in order to come back to Benfica.
We now hold our breath on the Russian, Turkey and I believe one other leagues transfer windows to close.
Russia seems to have backed off the big spending. I don't trust Turkey, unless all money comes upfront.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:51 am

I've been out of the loop the past couple of weeks and don't much about this Siqueira kid, does anyone have so details on him? As for the Russian/Turkish window, the only player I can still see going is Cardozo. With Silvio picking up an injury, it can scare off bidders paying the buyout and I can't see any other players going (I did say that about Witsel last year...)
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:48 pm

I can only guess that Siqueira is the real deal since Cortez wasn't named on the CL Squad. Silvio wasn't either.

I still think that Cardozo is most likely to go. I'm not sure of the reports that stated Cardozo turned down overtures from Southampton and West Ham. I understand him wanting CL play, but he's not getting that from Fenerbahce either. I will say that the Turks will probably pay more.
Zenit went through a lot of problems due to the high price foreign transfers last campaign. With Anzhi out of the picture, I could see Zenit lay low and not bring anybody in.

JJ will have a big squad at his disposal, so we'll see.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Mantorras77 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:31 pm

you know this whole Cortez situation is a joke. When was the last time Porto started a player in first few games of season and then realize he sucked and went out and got a replacement right away just before transfer deadline. Do our scouts even do anything? I mean the LB position has been a mess ever since Coentrao left. Our scouts keep missing on that position.
Mantorras77
Junior

Postby matt34nj » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:08 pm

We keep going for the cheap solution, thats why. Multiple times we have refused to pay the asking price for (fill in the blank here: Eliseu, Pocognoli, Zeitler, Rojo, etc. )
matt34nj
First Team

Postby Mantorras77 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:08 pm

matt34nj wrote:We keep going for the cheap solution, thats why. Multiple times we have refused to pay the asking price for (fill in the blank here: Eliseu, Pocognoli, Zeitler, Rojo, etc. )

Porto went for the cheap solution on Cissokho too, remember? how'd that work out?
Mantorras77
Junior

Postby Ed Gomes » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Good news from yesterday internationals;
Portugal WON!!!

-Matic got sent off, and wasn't injured.
- Sulejmani wasn't injured when he got steamrolled.
- No Benfica player was injured in the Croatia match, which is always a problem. I think that everyone knows the insanity that Serbia vs Croatia is.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby slbquista » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Mirracle that Suljemani was okay after that tackle!
slbquista
Substitute

Postby CowCoentrao » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Mantorras77 wrote:
matt34nj wrote:We keep going for the cheap solution, thats why. Multiple times we have refused to pay the asking price for (fill in the blank here: Eliseu, Pocognoli, Zeitler, Rojo, etc. )

Porto went for the cheap solution on Cissokho too, remember? how'd that work out?

It's not exactly the same situation though. Cissokho was already adapted to Portugal when they got him, and he wasn't converted from a winger.

Cheap solutions aren't bad when bought smartly. Jefferson who joined Sporting from Estoril is a good example. He's already proven in the league so you don't have to worry about adaptation like with Bruno Cortez.
CowCoentrao
Junior

Postby Forcaslb29 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:23 am

Was away for a week but was checking the net every once awhile...super pumped about Siqueira...he's who I wanted the entire off season...and still cant believe we got him...the real deal
Forcaslb29
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion