Javier Saviola #30

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Javier Saviola #30

Postby MichaelSLB » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:08 pm

I agree that we should wait through the pre-season but if he doesn't prove himself in the next few games, I think he should leave.
MichaelSLB
First Team

Postby SJ_Benfiquista » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:28 pm

Oh yeah I was ripping Cardozo BIG TIME lol but it was mostly due to his attitude. He did not look like he wanted to be here at all. Now he sees that he hurt himself just as much as the team he played for because none of the big clubs seemed to be interested in him anymore. It's kinda no surprise to me that he is playing this well and working as hard as he is. He wants to get his reputation back up.
SJ_Benfiquista
Substitute

Postby MichaelSLB » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Cardozo seems like a player you can't replace. He's abilities and techniques are unique.
MichaelSLB
First Team

Postby Benfiquista » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:27 pm

Interest From Spanish Clubs For Saviola
I say go right ahead and sell him to any of those Spanish teams for around $2-3Mill. Its a good chance for us to make a little money off this guy. Also theres no way in hell we will renew his contract at seasons end. We have more then enough young talent to fill his void in Rodrigo, Mora, N.Oliveria, etc.
Benfiquista

Postby Mdot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:51 pm

I say sell him. The cash is nothing great but to me it’s his freed up salary that is more important. I think you can easily split the amount he was getting paid and give it to Witsel, Nolito, Bruno, and Nico therefore increasing their buyouts like Porto has done with their top players.

This is a nice reward for their good performances in the first half of the season but also it will protect the club from getting ripped off when clubs like United, Chelsea, Real, etc… start sniffing around.

Hopefully with higher buyouts we get to keep them on our team longer so that we can win more titles and be more competitive in Europe.
Mdot

Postby MichaelSLB » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Selling him won't be a bad idea and i totally agree with Mdot, his salary can be used to benifit other players. But this must be the only player going out, not two or three.
MichaelSLB
First Team

Postby inMotionSLB » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:03 pm

Record are saying Saviola could leave in January
http://www.record.xl.pt/Futebol/Naciona ... _id=725326

What do you guys think? I would be sad to see him leave but then again that would make way for Rodrigo and Nélson to have a go in the first team. Plus his wages are pretty high too.

Although would prefer if he started scoring goals and stick around!
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Benfiquista » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:40 pm

No, No, please go ahead and sell him. His lost his touch from the 2009/10 season. Last season he was pretty much useless for us, and so far this season it's been nearly the same thing. We have more then enough players to cover his position and him leaving will also free up our player wages list because he has to be one of the top earners at the Club.
Benfiquista

Postby matt34nj » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:40 pm

very mixed feelings about the subject. At times I have been a Saviola basher, more out of frustration than anything else. But the kid has had an illustrious career and has played at the highest levels and for the greatest teams in the world. But what I respect most about "the rabbit", is that he always hustles and plays hard 100% of the time. He doesnt dive or act, and he doesnt talk. Much like Aimar, a true class act on and off the field. But its time, Rodrigo, Nelson O, and even Jara deserve a shot... Let him go someplace where he can make some coin before he gets too old...
matt34nj
First Team

Postby MichaelSLB » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:48 pm

Will be really sad for him to go. I think the right time for him to leave is in June/July. Anyway we have Rodrigo who is in amazing form and will be one to keep an eye on for the future.
MichaelSLB
First Team

Postby SJ_Benfiquista » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:05 am

The time for him to go is now. He offers us nothing at the moment. He lost his touch, has a high pay wage and is taking up a extra attacking spot.

Our championship year he was PHENOMENAL. An absolute beast. But his form, now, is the exact opposite.
SJ_Benfiquista
Substitute

Postby Benfiquista » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Bettor wrote:
Galatasaray Looking to Sign Benfica's Javier Saviola
Turkish giants, Galatasaray, are reportedly looking to sign Benfica’s Javier Saviola. The striker has been linked with a plethora of top European sides in recent months and it seems that the Lions have also entered the race to sign him. Former Argentina International, Javier Saviola, has been one of the most coveted players in the Primeira Liga ever since falling down the pecking order at Estadio da Luz. The forward was considered to be first-choice at the helm but the likes of Nicolas Gaitan and Nolito have been favoured by Jorge Jesus this season.

Even during the summer it was reported that several clubs were ready to offer the 29-year-old a chance to play week-in, week-out. However he chose to stick with the Eagles and so far the decision he made, looks like the wrong one. Spanish International, Rodrigo, has been one of the stars of the league so far and his ascendancy has not only caught everyone by surprise but has further pulled Saviola down the ranks. Considering his status in Lisbon, it was reported that La Liga outfit, Villarreal were looking to acquire the experienced veteran. While a move in the upcoming January transfer window looked to be on the cards, the club president, Fernando Roig Alfonso ruled out a swoop for the former Real Madrid man.

Commenting on the question that his side were on the trail of Saviola, the official said that there was no truth in the matter and his club had not made any contact whatsoever with their Portuguese counterparts. "If we hire all the players who the press have linked us with, we would have 132 players on the roster. I assure you that Villarreal has had zero contact with Benfica or Saviola,” he said. Despite being peripherally used by Jorge Jesus, the coach has lavished praise on the ex-Sky Blue International and said that he was quite important to the Reds and possessed all the necessary attributes to continue playing at the highest level.

"He is a very important player in the team's attacking plays. He is still motivated and passionate and has the same quality. We count on him for the future,” the tactician was quoted as saying. Now it seems that Turkish club, Galatasaray have registered an interest in the player and are reportedly looking to sign him this winter. The Yellow-Reds have take notice of Benfica’s hesitance to present the player with a new contract and as his current deal ends in the summer, they are keen to lure the player to the Super Liga. Although they were previously credited with a bid for Saviola, a move failed to materialize then and the player ended up staying in Portugal. However this time, Galatasaray are in the race to sign the former Monaco man and only time will tell whether they succeed in their efforts.

Just sell him to anyone for around $2-3Mill. I can't stand him being in the line-up anymore. He was absolutely awful against Maritimo yesterday. Savi I'm sorry, but your days with Benfica look numbered.
Benfiquista

Postby Mdot » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:27 am

Sadly I agree. Throw in him being one of our top paid players. I say take that transfer money to give a cash bonus to a few of our up in coming guys like Nico, Rodrigo, Nelson, Nolito, Bruno, or Witsel and bump up their buyouts even more so these guys stay longer with the team or at the very least we'll get a big pay day if someone buys them out.

I've also seen a couple of article now on Galatasaray poking around for him. Lets hope it's true.
Mdot

Postby matt34nj » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:12 am

If I remember correctly, the Rabbit started that friendly against Galastaray last month, and played well. I believe he also scored-maybe even twice. That was probably an excellent showcase for him. We could really use that spot to get Nelson O on the field... I read somewhere that Porto is in the same position with Cristian "the traitor" Rodriguez. They want to sell him and he is a depreciating asset, but they must get him on the pitch regularly to keep him sharp and show prospective teams he is worth the investment. The same article said that Porto went as far as to start Rodriguez in the Superup game against Barcelona to show him off to potential suitors. He looks like a complete tool with the short haircut, BTW... And I agree and have several times that Saviola's $$ could be much better spent.
matt34nj
First Team

Postby Benfiquista » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:19 pm

So we signed Saviola for another year and to tell you the truth I'm not so happy about it. I like and respect the guy, but his time with SLB should've been done this month. Why did Benfica give this guy another year, but not to the legend, Nuno Gomes last season? Also shouldn't we be giving Aimar another year before even thinking about Saviola? Anyways at least Saviola doesn't start every single game. I guess I'll stay content with him being a bench player.
Benfiquista

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion