Jorge Jesus- Manager

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Jorge Jesus- Manager

Postby inMotionSLB » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:09 pm

I want JJ to win the league and the continue for as long he keeps bagging those titles in. The more he wins the more patience he will get if he doesn't win anything in a season.
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Mdot » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:55 pm

I would say the big difference between us and Arsenal is the lack of silverware would be unacceptable over a crazy period of time. I agree with inMotion that if he loses 1 to 2 seasons, he can be forgiven if we are winning every so often.

I think the reason he stayed after losing that 3 back to back season was how close he was to winning those 3 titles. That was likely the height of pressure to fire him. After last season and assuming we pull off this season, I think he would have the freedom to lose another 2 back to back seasons and still stay on (unless he has some type of disaster season where we come 4th).

I think the pre-JJ times are still fresh in some people's minds. After winning in 04, weren't even able to manage coming in second and even came 4th one year. That's basically what Sporting has been doing for the past few seasons. So for now I'm pretty happy with leaving JJ in charge.

The added bonus of having a manager for so long is that we are getting more out of our players, vs starting from scratch like Sporting each season.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:09 pm

I really feel that the only reason that JJ wasn't let go was more due to the amount of money we were making in transfers. We came close to winning the league and did well in Europa League, which brought Benfica and its players a lot of recognition. The way we played also makes our players more attractive.
When clubs buy our players they know that they've had to play under tremendous pressure at all times. Mental toughness isn't a concern, because you need that in order to survive here. JJ has helped develop players and move them on bringing Benfica tremendous profit.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:20 am

I hope this article is true:
http://www.abola.pt/clubes/ver.aspx?t=3&id=537421

According to this article JJ will sign a new contract if the club agrees to lower his salary & give him increasing spending power to build a stronger squad to compete in Europe. He wants European success which is what I love to hear. If this is true, and assuming he wins the title, I'm pretty sure LFV should feel pressured to give him the dollars.

To think that he could win the title with this squad and potentially have a stronger squad next season. That sounds like our time to once again dominate our liga has come.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:24 pm

JJ needs European success that's eluded him. We had no business losing to Sevilla and were the better team verse Chelsea. Just not quite enough mental fortitude to get over the hump.
I do feel that we've got quality in the squad, but not so great that they'll be looking to leave. This campaign hasn't been so impressive that teams will be clamoring for our players. I could see Gaitan and possibly Salvio, but who else?
I'm happy with Talisca and Pizzi's emergence. Jonathan Rodriguez could possibly come in and add firepower. We could really have a good balance of veterans and youngsters. Just hoping that the disparity between them won't be to great.
I do feel that Porto will have a very good squad and will be better.
Sporting will continue to be a mess due to BdC. They'll have a new manager sometime during the campaign.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:49 pm

I think we could see one big player leaving but it could also be like 2 seasons ago where we didn't loss anyone. We did have some Chelsea scouts at the game yesterday.

I agree that having no European games will give us the ability to likely keep more players. Throw in some of these exciting juniors and loan players coming back and we'll have a few options. I just hope the idea of JJ staying longer is true give how crazy it is that we are top of the table after so much turn over.

Porto on the other hand could be set to loss of a few key players and there's always the risk their manager could be fired for winning nothing this season. If we keep our squad and improve, we;ll likely be in a good position to fight for the title again next year.

w
Mdot

Postby LauraDaSilva » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:07 am

Ed Gomes wrote:JJ needs European success that's eluded him. We had no business losing to Sevilla and were the better team verse Chelsea. Just not quite enough mental fortitude to get over the hump.
I do feel that we've got quality in the squad, but not so great that they'll be looking to leave. This campaign hasn't been so impressive that teams will be clamoring for our players. I could see Gaitan and possibly Salvio, but who else?
I'm happy with Talisca and Pizzi's emergence. Jonathan Rodriguez could possibly come in and add firepower. We could really have a good balance of veterans and youngsters. Just hoping that the disparity between them won't be to great.
I do feel that Porto will have a very good squad and will be better.
Sporting will continue to be a mess due to BdC. They'll have a new manager sometime during the campaign.

Agreed about a European trophy, but I am not sure we are ready for that yet. What we need is to consolidate the existing team and make sure we start looking for those players getting older at the back (Maxi, Luisao and Eliseu). Lisandro could work well with Jardel, as we saw last game, but I don't like to base myself on easy games to draw up hasty conclusions.
Maxi is a machine but what if he picks up an injury? Benito will most likely leave (the kid has never convinced me, so not a great loss)...

Porto have already lost Danilo and may lose another one. The pb is that this FdP pdc is managing who comes in and out of the squad with an iron fist. He would never allow what we have had to deal with this summer: mass departure and arrivals of very medium quality players.

Thinking of it, we only splurged on 2 players - Samaris and Cristante (not ready). Bebe has been a flop.

As for Zbording, hehe, I heard that Jefferson is a go, gone, goner and some others are due to follow suit (even possibly Slimani). If United decide they may as well pay Nani to warm the bench instead of playing at Sporting, this squad is totally destroyed and not even worth a single worry over. :sim

I know I am really jumping hoops right now, but if we can win the 34, NINGUEM PARA O BENFICA next season.
LauraDaSilva
Mascot

Postby BC/SLB » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:16 pm

Some good points Laura! I agree next season we have to balance out our older players (Luisao, Maxi, Lima etc) with younger ones playing more games. For example, Cancelo and Cavaleiro should be recalled to the squad this summer, and Lisandro, Jonathan and Guedes should get their chances in the first team next season.

I don't think we'll get the normal scrambling over our players by Europe's rich clubs this summer, due to many of them being older and us being out of Europe so quickly this season and thus out of the radar. Talisca and Gaitan will probably receive offers but we may be able to keep both if we don't spend much cash this summer, and with quite a few loan returns we may not need to spend much cash at all.

Our rivals Porto look set to be the opposite this summer. They're gonna make a lot of money, but are also gonna lose a lot of talent. Danilo's already gone, Oliver Torres and Casemiro will almost certainly return to their parent clubs in Madrid, and I also expect them to finally lose Jackson Martinez this summer. There will likely be big offers for other key players like Brahimi and Alex Sandro too. So they well have to build a whole new team this summer.

We lost a lot of players last summer, but nevertheless still managed to keep momentum, stability and continuity. Keeping JJ and the same coaching staff for the last 6 years has been key. I think SLB's time to dominate Portuguese football again is on the way. Exciting times ahead!
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby inMotionSLB » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:53 pm

então xau...
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Latest News and General Discussion