Jorge Jesus- Manager

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Jorge Jesus- Manager

Postby Mantorras77 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:42 am

Mantorras77
Junior

Postby Mdot » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:12 pm

LOL, that’s how I felt yesterday. Great highlights.
Mdot

Postby inMotionSLB » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:29 am

Just lol...
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Mdot » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:45 pm

I forgot all about JJ pushing that cop but it looks like the liga has finally made a ruling. He will be suspended for 30days. He'll miss the Braga (home), Rio Ave (away), Arouca (home) and Olhanense (away), and will be returning for the Setúbal match on December 20th.

Of the teams we are facing, Braga is the biggest risk at us dropping points but he's been with the team up until today so they should be ready for the Braga match. The other matches should be wins with just an assistant manager and you know throughout the weeks he will be connecting with the team via phone or other devises that make these types of suspensions less painful for a manager vs. a player.

The club has official stated it will not appeal the ruling. If the ruling was off by a few weeks there was a risk he could have missed the Porto match in mid-Jan. So I think appealing could in theory delay his suspension and the liga could very well time it so he misses the Porto match, so I fully agree with the club just sitting back on this one.
Mdot

Postby inMotionSLB » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:09 pm

Let him sit on the sidelines to learn his lesson. It better not affect the team and we better get 4 wins or else...
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby miklos-russia » Tue May 13, 2014 1:33 pm

well, we heard some rumours about JJ and Monaco, do you think, that it can be serious?
some people, who read spanish press regularly (I read their blogs), are confident in his resignation for Monaco.

I don't understand really why. Championship is not stronger, and hardly he can help Monaco to overcome PSG. Big contract for JJ? But it's just the only reason. If Monaco will sign a lot of top-players, will it be comfortable for JJ, who is used to work with youngsters? Will he have enough authority for some stars, that Monaco can buy this summer? If he decides to leave, I don't think, that Monaco is a good choice for him. Just strange.
miklos-russia
First Team

Postby Ed Gomes » Tue May 13, 2014 2:30 pm

By all accounts, it seems as if it will be Jardim heading to Monoco.
JJ currently ranks 11th in top paid futebol managers, earning 4.1 million euros a year. By the way, Ranieri ranks 18th at 3 million per year at Monoco.
Monoco is going to run into a lot of Financial Fair Play regulations. They have the money to spend, but their reach/significance, won't help justify the sponsorship deals. City and PSG could at least point to several different factors; youth development, international teams, following, etc... Monoco has none of that.
I do feel that FFP rules are a farce and clubs will learn to circumvent them. I know it's being looked at as a protection for the solvency of the game, but it will create a bigger gap from the have's and have not's.

I can see JJ leaving, but I would like to think that it would be for a "name". Let's say Conte leaves, Juve could actually be a good spot for him. You can be sure that where ever he lands, the press will have a field day.
Not sure if I would be the first, but if JJ does leave I would like for us to go after Pochettino. Plays the brand of futebol we do, and could be ready for the next step up. Valverd has also done a nice job at Bilbao. Montella at La Viola and Toral at Villarreal have been climbing up the charts, due to what they've been able to accomplish at their respective clubs.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby CowCoentrao » Wed May 14, 2014 5:26 am

Foreign managers rarely do well in the Portuguese League, so if JJ had to go I wouldn't want us to go for one. I think Porto took a big risk with their new manager Lopetegui.

Last season I said Marco Silva would be great option for us, and he hasn't changed my mind since then with his great 2nd season at Estoril. He's just as good as any of those foreign managers when it comes to good football, and he brings the results too. He's never lost to Sporting and this season he took points from Porto both times.

However if Jardim is the one who goes to Monaco, we might not have to worry about JJ leaving. Then Marco Silva will end up at Sporting.
CowCoentrao
Junior

Postby Mdot » Wed May 14, 2014 11:36 am

I agree, I think the only major threat is Monaco and by all accounts it seems Jardim would be the right manager from a cost standpoint. In addition to having to offer JJ more then his current salary, Monaco would also have to buy out his contract from us, that's one hell of an expensive manager.

Regardless of the outcome today, LFV should try to talk JJ into extending his contract. He hasn't been perfect at times but he's clearly improving with each season and his knowledge of the club/b-team would be hard to replace. If LFV truly wants to keep bringing up with players like Gomes, Almeida, Ivan, etc... JJ is likely the best to know which kids can fill our weak points.

In a worst case scenario, I would want a manager with experience in European tournaments. However I think Marco Silva would be the one guy I think would be worth a gamble on given how much he's been able to get out of his squads. I fully agree he'll be at Sporting if lose Jardim.
Mdot

Postby inMotionSLB » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:57 pm

Jorge Jesus: Managerial genius or stubborn fool?
http://www.fbcollective.com/storyline/w ... 1300737347

Planet Benfica article here: http://www.planetbenfica.co.uk/news/jor ... ss-manager

What do you guys think?
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby CowCoentrao » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:43 am

inMotionSLB wrote:Jorge Jesus: Managerial genius or stubborn fool?
http://www.fbcollective.com/storyline/w ... 1300737347

Planet Benfica article here: http://www.planetbenfica.co.uk/news/jor ... ss-manager

What do you guys think?

I can see both sides of the argument. Aside from the poor CL record, overall JJ has had a decent record domestically especially if we win the league this season.

I still have issues with JJ though because of this quote in the article "phobia of young Portuguese talent." The club has made a lot of money when JJ has been here, but it also takes large investments to find talents for JJ to develop. For every Markovic, there's a flop that cost 2-3 million and turns out to be worse than some of the B team players, who could come in for free.

This summer was a good example. Remember Luis Felipe in preseason? He didn't even look good enough for a relegation side, and buying him was completely unnecessary when we already had Andre Almeida and Joao Cancelo as potential backups for Maxi.

Andre Gomes only got chances after he was sold. He could easily become another Witsel and make us 30M+, proof is that he eased into Valencia's starting 11. Bernardo Silva was the last straw, I don't think I can forgive after that.

Regarding the CL record... Coincidentally, the only time we passed the CL groups was when JJ wasn't so stubborn and changed his formation to include 3 central midfielders.
CowCoentrao
Junior

Postby miklos-russia » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:09 pm

www.youtube.com/embed/MU4wBcFgZyM

www.youtube.com/embed/dUCkv0Dhbt8

www.youtube.com/embed/JeIycVr-2jw

www.youtube.com/embed/JaEAEfG5dzo

www.youtube.com/embed/7UM4g0E_2Ac

www.youtube.com/embed/p2eZ5hTz7cs

www.youtube.com/embed/2Eeo9vNfwB0

www.youtube.com/embed/LA5THf_nElo

www.youtube.com/embed/zbP7eeBRC-4

you really think, we must get rid of him :D :D :D

well, seriously, I said it before - he helped me to fall in love with Benfica. I can't be against him, I don't want him to go anywhere.
Of course, CL results are bad. Really bad. I was really angry after two games against Zenit, though our squad is not very strong now. But that groups and games with Hapoel, Celtic, Olympiacos, and this season too.. it's really annoying.
Anyway, he must stay, if we will be champions this year. And he must have a better squad for the next CL campaign!!!
miklos-russia
First Team

Postby inMotionSLB » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:57 am

I'm just thinking who we are going to ship out next... if we don't then we have a chance to progress well in Europe.

But for the moment lets just get that number 34!

LOTOpegui LOOOOOOOOOL :lol2

some funny videos there
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Mdot » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:23 pm

I read that article not too long ago and keep forgetting to comment on it. Great story and in my book JJ has already left his mark on our club with those two EL finals and the titles we've one. If he wins this season (he better win) I think we should do everything we can to keep him on board.

Where I defend JJ is the how he's been able to handle the crazy amount of squad turnover each season. This season was by far the worst in terms of talent lost and I have a hard time picturing another manager being able to compete. I blame that turn over for our weak start to the season but once again JJ is building a team within 1 season and having it compete for titles.

On the other hand if we lose this lead and title, I would be ok with a new manager as long as it's one with CL experience.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:12 pm

I agree Mdot. The fear of the unknown sometimes traps clubs. Just take a look at Arsenal, where a Top 4 finish was/is considered Silverware.
That being said JJ has no excuses this campaign. We hold a four point lead with no European or Taca matches left. The squad should be ready for the task, and its his job to get them there. In my opinion we should have won at least one other league title.

JJ has been underrated by fans, myself included. But he gets paid a very nice wage, that makes it hard for "bigger" league clubs to come get him.
I too feel that turnover will be less this summer, so we need to see a big CL push.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion