Óscar Cardozo #7

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Óscar Cardozo #7

Postby Ed Gomes » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Glad to see Cardozo get into form. i don't care they were penalties, just happy to see him score.
I'm a bit sad since he's basically wasted a campaign due to injuries. I doubt he'll be back next campaign, but who knows. If Rodrigo and Markovic are gone, we might hand onto him. I do believe the bigger money transfer opportunity is gone.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby matt34nj » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:52 pm

Agreed, he showed his real worth at the beginning of the season when we really had no choice but to lean on him for goals. With Rodrigo as good as gone, Lima being 30, and Markovic probably not in our long term plans (kills me to write that...) we should definitely keep him. Not worth it to sell for what we could get (7-10 mil??)

Funes Mori is unproven and I dont really see anyone else ready to step up...
matt34nj
First Team

Postby Ed Gomes » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:10 pm

To be fair, Funes Mori has scored 13 goals for the B Squad. He's bigger than I thought and could still come good.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby matt34nj » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:04 pm

3 goals and 2 assists today for Trabzonspor (still 20 mins to play...). Looks like the old Cardozo, even if it is Turkish league v. lower level competition in a cup game. Dude is in beast mode. Merry Xmas all.

Still Miss big #7 :-(
matt34nj
First Team

Postby matt34nj » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:04 pm

3 goals and 2 assists today for Trabzonspor (still 20 mins to play...). Looks like the old Cardozo, even if it is Turkish league v. lower level competition in a cup game. Dude is in beast mode. Merry Xmas all.

Still Miss big #7 :-(
matt34nj
First Team

Postby inMotionSLB » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:43 pm

He should have continued with us - but no hard feelings with him. Top player for us
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Mdot » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:02 pm

Same, I think he left the wrong way given how many goals he scored for our club. He's our 9th most successful goal scorer (4goals away from being 8th) and 2nd best goalscorer in Europe for our club.

I understand why he was sold but it should have been handled differently. I wish the guy luck and he easily could have a few good years left in him.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:05 pm

I will go so far as to say we probably would've qualified from the CL group this season if Cardozo had been in the team and not sold. How many chances did we waste in the matches away to Monaco and Zenit? I'm sure Cardozo would've put away those chances and 3 points in any of those matches and we might've made it out of the group. I always knew it was a dumb move selling him and he should have been allowed to retire at this club to whom he gave so much and whom he clearly loves. Anyway i wish him all the best for the rest of his career, club legend!
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby LauraDaSilva » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:51 am

2nd top scorer of Turkish league, 15 goals (3 pens)...
I believe him and Jonas would have been lethal up front. What a shame...
LauraDaSilva
Mascot

Postby Mdot » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:15 pm

I agree that he would have produced goals for us but I have a strong feeling that if we kept Cardozo we would have never bought Jonas (which was a last min transfer). It was clear for a bit of time that Cardozo and JJ did not see eye to eye. I don't know the locker room situation but I think it's fair to assume he's wasn't sold to bring in a younger striker.

The good thing is that Jonas has worked out in replacing him and has been a positive for the club. In terms of overall, Cardozo has played 36 games in all competitions with 18 goals / 4 assists - BC/SLB only 1 in 10 EL games... Jonas has 27 games and 22 goals / 6 assists. I think if we did get Jonas earlier in the pre-season he would have played some CL games for us and maybe that could have made the difference. Never know. But overall I think we're are not worse off with Jonas. I think he's found new life at our club.

I would have still loved to see Cardozo end his career with us given the number of years he was with us.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:31 am

To me Jonas has been more of a direct replacement for Rodrigo, than for Cardozo. Jonas' style of play is much more similar to Rodrigo's than to Tacuara, who is simply a (phenomenal) finisher of chances.

I have to say we got a great deal in selling Rodrigo for big money and getting Jonas for free, from the same club. I read recently that Jonas has scored more goals this season than all of Valencia's 3 main strikers (Alcacer, Rodrigo and Negredo) combined. We got a good deal indeed!

I too wish Cardozo was allowed to finish his career at this club, to whom he gave so much. It's clearly what he wanted. Him and Derley are beyond compare. Derley hasn't contributed anything this season and Tacuara would've been so much more effective coming off the bench for us this season. Anyway he remains a legend at our club!
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby LauraDaSilva » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:25 am

I have posted this both on my Twitter and FB, but yeah... to sum up your post, this is Tacuara:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HLXZrPLk2M
LauraDaSilva
Mascot

Previous

Return to Latest News and General Discussion