Óscar Cardozo #7

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Óscar Cardozo #7

Postby BenficaNYRB » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:07 pm

I actually think that we should keep Cardozo. Why can't we all forgive him? I mean he has had a pretty good scoring record. Would this club be at this level without his contributions? I say no. I would love to see Saviola/Cardozo up front again, but Nolito or Jara and Cardozo would be even better.
BenficaNYRB
Junior

Postby MichaelSLB » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:44 am

If they offered us 15 million + Hugo then let Cardozo go, otherwise no. Cardozo can still start scoring madly if he breaks into form.
MichaelSLB
First Team

Postby 1904 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:12 am

Cardozo puts pen-to-paper on a contract extension until 2016!!

Superb news, he is getting better year on year and actually putting more effort in.
Site Admin

Postby Mdot » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:22 am

Outstanding news, heard it on the radio on the way home and great to see it all confirmed.

As an interesting bit of stats, here's where he ranks on our all time top goal scorer list:

#Name Goals
1Eusébio 474
2José Águas 374
3Nené 360
4José Torres 226
5Arsénio 218
6Rogério de Carvalho 211
7Julinho 200
8José Augusto 175
9Nuno Gomes 166
10Alfredo Valadas 156
11Espírito Santo 152
12Óscar Cardozo 128
13Mário Coluna 127
14Joaquim Teixeira 118
15Vítor Silva 108
16Artur Jorge 105
17Rui Águas 104
18Cavém 102
19Rogério de Sousa 100
20Francisco Rodrigues 99

At the rate he's going at I can see him get close to the 200 goal mark. :benficaflag
Mdot

Postby miklos-russia » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:28 am

my fav player in the team (after Maxi)
Oscar :amen
And he scored two in the first Benfica game I've seen on the stadium
Though I didn't ask him for that at all lol :D
miklos-russia
First Team

Postby slbquista » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:13 am

great news indeed! also got a release clause of 60 mil, which I'm not sure whether it's changed but still a good sum!
slbquista
Substitute

Postby matt34nj » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Finally! So much talk of "will he?" or "wont he?". Very satisfied with this news, it was the right move to make... Let him retire wearing our camisola. Too bad the Paraguayan people and coaches dont see his value; all because the lack of pace. I know he has a spotty record with the NT, but him not making the cut for the last WC team was a disrespectful slap in the face.
matt34nj
First Team

Postby miklos-russia » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Matt, do you remember, how he missed a penalty kick in 1/4 WC against Spain?
That was the most saddest moment on the tournament for me.
He cried like a child after the game.
It's all was so unfair!

I respect Cardozo so much. He is really an amazing player, and personally he must be a very good guy according to some interviews that I translated to Russian blogs.
miklos-russia
First Team

Postby Mdot » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:32 am

I remember a year or two ago he started doing the chicken dance and no one understood why, then it eventually came out that every time he did it, there was an opportunity for him to win money for a charity back home. I always respect top players who go out of their way to try to give back, good role model for the little ones.

I won't lie, I used to be on the fence with him (especially his agent started talking shit) but over the past couple of seasons he's really grown to a class act. I hope he retires with the club.
Mdot

Postby Mdot » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:42 pm

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=444164
Cardozo only sacrifice
By Paul Alves

Life difficult for Óscar Cardozo. The Paraguayan striker continues to not train on the pitch with the rest of the squad and is limited to make specific treatment and recovery at the gym because of the many who still feels pain in the affected area by acute low back pain. Reason enough to be increasingly unlikely the presence of striker and top scorer in the eagles game tomorrow in Vila do Conde. appealing only to a great deal of sacrifice could be the presence of the player than 30 years in encounter with Rio Ave Something that would not even new to the advanced, who throughout his career at Light has several examples of games that put the interests of the team ahead of physical well being. 's most recent case happened in the derby against Sporting, for Cup of Portugal, in which he played a few days after contracting a traumatic sprained left ankle. He scored a hat-trick, but since that game back pain also tormented him.

Given everything that happened at the end of the season, the suspension, no preseason, the effects to sell him, etc... He has been outstanding for us this season. I have no clue how long he'll be out for but the guy clearly cares about winning with us and I'm happy that a mix of cooler heads and no luck in the transfer market resulted in him staying.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:09 pm

It's amazing how much grief Cardozo has taken from the Benfica fans. For whatever reason, its always been a love hate relationship. Only now, when he wasn't around, and came back and scored has he been valued.
I just hope he takes his time in getting back and comes back stronger and fine.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby BC/SLB » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Absolutely! A top class penalty box predator with one of the best left foots I've ever seen. You give him a chance to shoot with that left foot inside the area and you better expect to concede a goal, full stop. He may not have mobility and pace, but his positioning and constant dangerous presence in the box compensate completely.

He's been so under-appreciated by many Benfica fans, it's untrue. That when he's scored consistently every season he's been here. I've been a big fan since his very first season, and along with Luisao has been our most important player over these last few years.

It's laughable now how the club tried to offload him during the summer! With the way Lima's been performing so far, imagine how much trouble we'd be in by now if he had gone. Hopefully the injury isn't too bad and he's back in the first team asap. For tomorrow's match, it's Rodrigo's chance to start and hopefully improve on what Lima has been giving us for the last few matches....
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby matt34nj » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:54 pm

Me thinks that this game with Rio Ave (with no disrespect to them), could be a great opportunity to revert to a 4-4-2 with Rodrigo and Markovic up front together. I would love to see the two of them play together. What with Cardozo hurt and Lima ice cold, why not. Come on Jose Raul, lets see it!!!!
matt34nj
First Team

Postby Mdot » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:21 pm

Just read a new article saying that we'll be lucky if he returns in two weeks against PSG which makes it even more important that Rodrigo steps up. I agree that Markovic has some amazing potential to pair up with a lead striker.

B/C At the time when they where thinking of pushing him out, it was clear that he couldn't stay on the team if JJ was there due to fear of revolt within the squad, everyone was wrong on that one and it seems like everything has fallen back into place.
Mdot

Postby inMotionSLB » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:38 pm

Looks who's back MFs!!!!!!

Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion