Artur Moraes #1

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Artur Moraes #1

Postby Benfiquista » Sun May 15, 2011 1:45 pm

Name- Artur Guilherme Moraes Gusmão
Date Of Birth- 25 January 1981
Place Of Birth- Leme, Brazil
Height- 6'4
Playing Position- Goalkeeper

Wiki Link
ZeroZero Link

Four Years Offered to Artur
King Artur looks closer and closer to soon be joining Benfica. I guess we don't want Roberto anymore if Artur is indeed signed. At least this goalkeeper will cost us nothing.
Benfiquista

Re: Summer Transfer Thread 2011

Postby BenficaNYRB » Sun May 15, 2011 4:30 pm

Benfiquista wrote:Four Years Offered to Artur
King Artur looks closer and closer to soon be joining Benfica. I guess we don't want Roberto anymore if Artur is indeed signed. At least this goalkeeper will cost us nothing.

Ok then we don't need Akinfeev. But we should sell Roberto, Aimar, and Cardozo. Any replacement for Cardozo need to be lined up? Or should we just have Jara as his already-in-team heir? But whatever the cost, we must get Sani Emmanuel from Lazio.
BenficaNYRB
Junior

Postby Mdot » Sun May 15, 2011 6:40 pm

Benfiquista wrote:Four Years Offered to Artur

I was just about to post the same article. My issue is that Artur is already 30 and has never broke out in a major way at a big club. People keep talking about Braga's keeper but they still coincided more goals then us in our liga and we didn't even play Roberto for several matches. For a keeper who let in as many if not more goals then Roberto on a extremely defensive team, I wonder how he can do on a team that focuses less on defense.

I would rather give Roberto or Julio another shot in the summer or pick up a different goalie.
Mdot

Postby 1904 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:24 am

Artur looks set to sign a four year deal...
Site Admin

Postby Canadian_Benfiquista » Mon May 16, 2011 2:36 pm

hahaha the artur moraes signing reminds me of when we went and got JJ from braga a few years back, where we all had a feeling it was done but everything was kept hush hush. but once again we waste alot of money on these flops (ROBerto) then nexy year we loan them out until the end of contract.........fail benfica fail
Sócio Иº 199482
Canadian_Benfiquista
First Team

Postby SJ_Benfiquista » Mon May 16, 2011 4:19 pm

So I'm sure this means Roberto is on his way out no?

Hopefully we are gonna try to get our money back and break even. Too damn bad...he looks the part...but those frangos! Holy crap
SJ_Benfiquista
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Mon May 16, 2011 4:52 pm

To be honest I don’t think we’ll get a good offer for Roberto and I can see him going out into the ranks of the loaned players.

I agreed that he shows amazing potential but one mistake after another has just ended his chances. I’m not too excited about Artur and I hope he proves me wrong. He played on an extremely defensive minded team, the problem with our team is that we’re offensive minded and therefore you need a goalie that can handle the one on one’s. Roberto showed that he can do it but he was horrible when to box got too full. Either way I hope he can do it.
Mdot

Postby Benfiquista » Tue May 17, 2011 2:07 pm

Portugoal wrote:
Benfica Snap Up Braga Goalkeeper Artur Moraes
End of the road for Roberto?
Braga goalkeeper Artur Moraes will play his last game for the Arsenalistas tomorrow in Dublin. The Brazilian stopper has put pen to paper on a four-year contract for Benfica.

The deal was initially scheduled to be completed after the Europa League final, but Benfica wanted to ensure they did not lose out on Artur, who has been one of Braga’s outstanding performers this season. The arrival of the 30-year-old at the Estadio da Luz would appear to spell the end of the road for current Benfica number one Roberto. The Spanish keeper was bought for 8.5 million euros last season but has endured a disappointing season, littered with several high-profile blunders.

Benfica are now faced with the problem of trying to recoup as much as possible of their initial outlay on Roberto, although a loan deal may be an option in the hope that he recovers his confidence.

Pretty lame that we had to sign another goalkeeper thanks to the big €8.5Mill flop that is Frangerto. Lets hope Artur can be nice and consistent for us now.
Benfiquista

Re: Artur Moraes

Postby Mdot » Tue May 17, 2011 4:43 pm

I hope he stops Porto from winning the cup. In a way it will be a massive disappointment if Porto clobber Braga with our keeper in net.
Mdot

Postby WPG Chop 11 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:44 pm

i want moreira in net :( i still remember seeing him live in toronto last year vs panathanaikos?
Açoriano AEu Morrer
WPG Chop 11
Junior

Postby 1904 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:45 pm

Let's see if this one has problems coming off his line.

We have only got him because it was on a free transfer, imagine the uproar if another 4-5mil euros was spent in a keeper.

I am still not sure which of the three will go.
Site Admin

Postby SLB » Tue May 17, 2011 7:57 pm

The season ended just days ago and already our intention is clear....
Might be a good bit of business. He is a solid keeper and has been one of Braga's best players this season after Eduardo left.
At 30 years old he is entering his prime as a keeper.
Feel bad for Roberto but this is the business world of football.
Does Roberto leave or stay???
SLB
Manager

Postby 1904 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:03 pm

No one will buy Roberto unless they feel sorry for us. If he goes it will probably be on loan and it is going to take something special for him to come back to us. Coentrão style.
Site Admin

Postby SLB » Tue May 17, 2011 8:07 pm

I am excited by this signing and I think overall it is a step we had to make although I have been one of the few who have defended Roberto on occasions.
We move one....Artur is number 1
SLB
Manager

Postby inMotionSLB » Tue May 17, 2011 8:08 pm

Clubs in spain still hold Roberto in high regard. Here's hoping if he goes, it's for a loan only and comes back stronger.

As for Artur, all the luck for you! You are now (nearly) one of us!
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Next

Return to Latest News and General Discussion