Nemanja Matić #21

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Nemanja Matić #21

Postby dannym2326 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:18 am

I really like this kid already, he could be a fixture this year particulary if we go 4-3-3/4-5-1
dannym2326
Substitute

Postby matt34nj » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:05 pm

Im becoming a believer as well... I think he has a really soft but yet accurate touch on the ball; his passes were just sliding past and through the defenders, and i did finally see him run full speed a couple of times and hes much quicker than he looks... Def a quality player, hope JJ doesnt leave him on the bench.. Would be a great addition to the lineup for CL games, especially second legs when we are protecting a lead or otherwise would have a more conservative, defensive-oriented lineup... :ok
matt34nj
First Team

Postby MichaelSLB » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:45 pm

I think Matic is going to trouble Javi Garcia for his CDM position a lot this season. :benfica
MichaelSLB
First Team

Postby BenfiquistaJon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:53 pm

Javi is one of my fave players but competition for places is good and any good profesional will welcome this so I expect this to drive both of them on to perform to the best of their abilities week in week out

Forca Javi, Forca Matic & Forca Benfica

:ok
BenfiquistaJon
Junior

Postby MichaelSLB » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:13 pm

Agree. I just hope this season we get off with a flying start and our back-line solid. We let in way too many goals last season.
MichaelSLB
First Team

Postby matt34nj » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:55 pm

Another incredible effort, and he played the whole 90. Will def give Javi and Whitsel some serious competition, and could end up as the starter. I counted at least five instances today where he either broke up the counter-attack or outright stole the ball from his man! Once he gets his bearings and gets some pt with the regular defenders this guy is gonna be the real deal!! Forca Matic!!
matt34nj
First Team

Postby Mdot » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:41 pm

Matic renewed through 2018
http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=376406

Buyout is now 45million. Thrilled to see this headline!!
Mdot

Postby slbquista » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:31 am

Great news! I really don't want to end up selling him, even for a lot of money cos' he's just too important - it would be like losing Garcia all over again only with no Matic to fill his boots. :)
slbquista
Substitute

Postby miklos-russia » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:32 am

looks like JJ exactly knew what he wanted from this player, asking for him in a David Luiz' deal.
and Matic was very average last season, but look on him today! this is JJ work, that's why he is a great coach.
miklos-russia
First Team

Postby Mdot » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:32 pm

There’s no betting about the bush, after losing Witsel and Javi, I think most of us felt like our DM role would be our weak point but Matic has made it one of our strongest positions. It’s no secret that hype has been building on him and I truly hope we can hold on to him for another season. Here’s an interesting article from Abola:

Matic featured in UEFA website
http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=395507

In the countdown to the semi-finals of the Europa League, the UEFA website highlights some players who have shown in the proof. Nemanja Matic, Benfica is one of the 'rising stars' in a quartet to follow in the future.

Commanding presence in the center of the pitch, the Serbian player shines in the organization of the game, but it's also good to spend and time to shoot at goal. These are the strengths identified by the agency, which puts even the 24 years in direct speech: "Either you are good enough or not, no matter the age."

Cheers rain down from everywhere, even from those who felt the influence of the skin medium. "The way we kept the ball was fantastic, especially Matic. Evolved considerably since he left Chelsea and is one of the leading players of the team, "noted Alan Pardew, Newcastle manager, last" victim "of European incarnate.

But among these "rising stars" are also Salih Ucan young midfielder Fenerbahçe which is the last hurdle on the road to Amsterdam Benfica. Combines good vision of the game and technique prone to unexpected qualities that despite his 19 years, not surprising Aykut Kocaman, coach training Istanbul.

Mohamed Salah (Basel) and Victor Moses (Chelsea) are the players featured in the teams they face in the other semi-final.

Here is the original article from UEFA.com (I copied just the section that related to him):
UEFA Europa League: Four rising stars
Published: Monday 15 April 2013, 14.00CET
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=1941601.html

With the UEFA Europa League semi-finals looming, we look at four rising stars from the four teams who could each play a big part in deciding the trophy's destination.

Nemanja Matić, SL Benfica
Date of birth (age): 01/08/1988 (24)
Position: Central midfield
Selling point: A towering presence in the middle of the park, the Serbia man excels in breaking up play, but is equally adept at picking a pass and knows where the goal is.
What they say: "The way they kept the ball was fantastic, Matić in particular. The way he has grown since he has gone away from Chelsea, he's a terrific player for them." Alan Pardew, Newcastle United FC manager.
What he says: "You are either good enough or you're not, regardless of age."

Here’s hope he remembers how Chelsea ignored him and how he had an opportunity to make it big with us. If we can up his contract and keep him next season I’ll be very happy about our quality in that role.
Mdot

Postby inMotionSLB » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:50 pm

He CANNOT leave next season. He should stay with us for two more seasons minimum, or forever. I prefer the latter.
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Ed Gomes » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:22 pm

The odds are that he's going to go. I'm afraid that Matic and Garay will be gone next season.
I really wanted Axel to stay, so he could start with Matic, but the money was too great to ignore. Matic has very good vision and is good on the ball, with great instincts.
Sadly, I'm not so sure we have a direct replacement for Matic at this time. Almeida might be able to slot in, but we need him to supplement Maxi on the right. I know Roderick isn't ready (he was used there once this season). Is Nuno Coelho, out on loan at Aris, ready to come back in and excel?
I think that the pain of having Matic leave will be compounded by Garay leaving. Center Backs are in great need for "Big Clubs", and there will be a run on them.

Let's enjoy this campaign and make sure we nab some Silverware. The transfer season will be upon us soon enough.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby matt34nj » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:32 pm

Agreed that CB will be a problem for us down the road. I feel insulted when I read the numbers being debated and discussed for a Garay deal: 18 mil, 19 mil. He is worth 30 minimum. Especially if you take into account what teams have paid recently for the likes of David Luiz, Thiago Silva, etc.
matt34nj
First Team

Postby dannym2326 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:17 am

Don't panic guys. You know that if they go, JJ and Rui are going to replace them.
dannym2326
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:56 pm

I fully agree with danny, I’m actually not too worried about players going. We sold Javi to ensure we could keep everyone else and Witsel leaving for 40million was unexpected by the club. We don’t need the cash, with both those salaries off our books and that extra cash we’ve seen a good amount of contract increases (including buyouts) this season which should help keep talent. Also with us hosting the CL next season and us finally having a very competitive side that can push put up a good fight with the best of them, I think our club will do everything this season to keep these guys.

The offers for Garay are too low, and Matic’s has only had one season with us and has seen a contract increase for his good work. Maybe I’m over confident but I just get a feeling that this project over the past few years of building quality players, keeping some and selling the rest to rebuild the financial strength of this club has finally lead to this great team we have today and we can keep and build on.
Mdot

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion