Nemanja Matić #21

Benfica news, transfer gossip, general discussion and all competitions the club is involved in

Re: Nemanja Matić #21

Postby inMotionSLB » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:24 am

Remember that these aren't the final official numbers, they can change. There were no names at the back either.
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby SLB » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:26 am

I guess at the presentation game we will know officially......
SLB
Manager

Postby dannym2326 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:00 pm

SLB wrote:I guess at the presentation game we will know officially......

What's a presentation game?
dannym2326
Substitute

Postby SLB » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:58 pm

The game against Toulouse on 20th July officially presenting the squad
SLB
Manager

Postby matt34nj » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Did he appear a little slow and lazy yesterday? or maybe because hes tall and thin like Cardozo he just looks kinda slow... He definitely was tracking back and covering for Roderick when Roderick moved up with the ball, and I saw JJ talking to him on the bench and what looked like Rodrigo translating for him. Hope there is no language barrier...
matt34nj
First Team

Postby inMotionSLB » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:54 pm

But there is defo a language barrier, I don't think Jesus knows much English and he certainly doesn't know Spanish or Portuguese
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Mdot » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:08 pm

It doesn't shock me that there is a language barrier but I am surprised that we wouldn't have someone on the coaching staff that could work in English.
Mdot

Postby dannym2326 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Matic was immense last night.
dannym2326
Substitute

Postby matt34nj » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:46 am

I have to say he didnt really stand out to me except he looks a little slow. Hope he can give us another midfield option. Did see him in the mix on set plays and that was good...
matt34nj
First Team

Postby MichaelSLB » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:39 am

I don't blame Matic if he was a little rusty. His still adapting and he can't really communicate with the rest of the team because of the language barrier.
MichaelSLB
First Team

Postby dannym2326 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:51 am

MichaelSLB wrote:I don't blame Matic if he was a little rusty. His still adapting and he can't really communicate with the rest of the team because of the language barrier.

I'd imagine most of them speak some English.
dannym2326
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:21 pm

dannym2326 wrote:
MichaelSLB wrote:I don't blame Matic if he was a little rusty. His still adapting and he can't really communicate with the rest of the team because of the language barrier.

You'd be surprised how many of them don't. We have a bunch of Argentinians that likely didn't finish school and have said they had a hard time with Portuguese and only know Spanish lol. Throw in some of the Portuguese youth and I bet most of them just know a few words / song lyrics. Wass is the only player I know that can speak English.

I agree that Matic is going into a completely different playing system, league, language, and club culture. It'll take him a little bit to get used to but he's showing moments of potential that we can build on. One thing I'm noticing about this new team is the height of these players. We have a really big squad with many of them hitting 6'f +. Cardozo and Luisao used to be the tall guys. Last match when our guys were in the box Cardozo didn't look that big lol.
Mdot

Tall players

Postby matt34nj » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:53 pm

Noticed that too, about the height. Wait till Nelson O comes back! lol Ansaldi, Bryan Ruiz, and Whitsel are all tall too, although im not sure we really need Whitsel... Assuming Saviola and Cardozo stay, with Jara as the sub, that leaves Nico, Bruno C, Enzo, Nolito, and Rodgrigo for the two winger spots, which means someone is already going to be odd man out... With Matic to back up Javi, and Coelho as another DM, do we really need another midielder? I would focus on bringing in a LB and only consider another striker or mid if Cardozo is still possibly to be sold... Also, would like Rui and LFV to hurry up and get rid of Yebda, Fernandez, Shaffer, Peixoto, Mora, and even Martins if they are not in our plans... Most of the young-ins should go on loan, but Yebda, Cesar P and even Martins should be sold if they are not in our long term plans. Between the three of them, thats at least 10 mil (plus wages!!) sitting there doing nothing, and both Yebda and Martins deserve to be starting somewhere...
matt34nj
First Team

Postby dannym2326 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Mdot wrote:
dannym2326 wrote:

You'd be surprised how many of them don't. We have a bunch of Argentinians that likely didn't finish school and have said they had a hard time with Portuguese and only know Spanish lol. Throw in some of the Portuguese youth and I bet most of them just know a few words / song lyrics. Wass is the only player I know that can speak English.

I agree that Matic is going into a completely different playing system, league, language, and club culture. It'll take him a little bit to get used to but he's showing moments of potential that we can build on. One thing I'm noticing about this new team is the height of these players. We have a really big squad with many of them hitting 6'f +. Cardozo and Luisao used to be the tall guys. Last match when our guys were in the box Cardozo didn't look that big lol.
I was under the impression that the vast majority of Europeans speak English to an acceptable standard.

Although I wonder about the dominant language of the squad, although we're a Portuguese club, we have as many Argentines and Spaniards as Brazilians and Portuguese.
dannym2326
Substitute

Postby MichaelSLB » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:47 pm

The thing about the Spanish/Argentine players is that they have been with Benfica long enough to Know Portuguese(Spanish and Portuguese are similar languages), but in interviews they choose to speak Spanish instead or Portuguese.
MichaelSLB
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News and General Discussion