Benfica Elections 2012

Latest on club politics, promotions, tickets, merchandise and non-sport related topics

Benfica Elections 2012

Postby inMotionSLB » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:38 pm

BENFICA ELECTIONS
26 October 2012

CANDIDATES
Luis Filipe Vieira
Rui Rangel

All Benfica sócios with their quotas paid until August 2012 will be allowed to vote. Either at the Estádio da Luz on the given day or via slbenfica.pt.

Members who live abroad should have received a letter with a unique PIN to allow them to vote, if not, please contact slbenfica.pt immediately should you want to vote.

Click here to view the official statement for this General Election [PDF] [Portuguese]

The winner of this election will see their mandate run from 2012 to 2016.
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Re: Benfica Elections 2012

Postby inMotionSLB » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:43 pm

Everyone, we are thinking of putting 3 questions together for the candidate Rui Rangel, and we have until 20pm BST tomorrow to submit them.

We can do this as a forum/website from slbenfica.co.uk

I know some of you are members and you can vote. This is the time to influence the outcome and the future of the club.

Starting with this... I would like to know what kind of questions you would like to ask? We can join them all and choose the best 3.

One of mine would be:

1. With so many worldwide fans, there is a huge potential to explore on what these supporters and members can provide to flourish Benfica's brand and name. What plans do you have to tap in to this market?
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Mdot » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:37 pm

Great question and idea!

I would be interested in knowing his plans for the vast amount of youth and players that are on loan which have historically seen little hope of joining the main club. This will mainly apply to his plans with the b-team.

Another question could be: where do you see the role of the club when it comes to developing Portuguese players. What are your thoughts about the fact that smaller Portuguese clubs have national team players yet we can barely get one on the bench.
Mdot

Postby inMotionSLB » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Good one Mdot, although I would like to say that both points have been covered in his latest interview:

(interviewer, however well recognised and known, was a bit of an ass in interrupting)

Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Mdot » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:47 am

Thanks so much for posting this. I fully agree with him that having over 90 something players on our payroll is out of control. I know that in some loans teams pay part of the salary but it's still a big cost.

I do admire his comments about wanting to focus on the core of the team and not sell key players. The idea of each season us building a good team to only blow it up next season to pay bills is why we have come so close to titles but we rarely keep the same team like Porto does to help win build on the success the club has had. However I do believe a big part of this is out of our control given how much some of this billionaire owners are willing to pay players. However if we did get rid of the majority of our loan players and the money saved means we can pay key players more, then we could keep players like most top French and German clubs do. It would mean we are not guaranteed to keep all our talent but it would be harder to pull them away and therefore allow our team to build on our success.

After taking some time to read up more on this guy I think a better line of questioning would be what experience does he feel he has gained in both business and sport management to feel that he is able to run our club.

Also after watching that video and agreeing with the idea of cutting players that will never be part of the club however I would still be interested on where he sees the club growing it's talent? Either by primarily making good transfers to build the team (something the club has been doing in recent years) or focusing on player development through the juniors and b-team (going back to how the club used to build teams years back).

Sorry for the long winded response but so far this seems like the first time in a long time where there are some interesting ideas being presented from a potential leader for the club. Thank you for trying to get in contact with their people and I am very curious to see what the final questions will be and hopefully their response.

On a last note I think the result from the upcoming CL match which could make or break our European run this year could have a big impact on how many people come out an vote on this election.
Mdot

Postby slbquista » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:32 am

Sorry to ask but could some one just give me a rough idea what he was saying in the interview?
I agree we have far too many people on loan who will never really play for us. If we could transfer all their value and wages into the main squad we could theoretically have some thing like a dream team if we then hadn't sold Di Maria, Coentrao, Ramires, Luiz, Witsel, Garcia. I know we would probably still have sold most of those players because who doesn't want to play for Real and Chelsea, but still, our main team could be a lot stronger if we got rid of the dead wood!
slbquista
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:13 pm

I'll have to re-watch it when I get home to break down the key points in English but the guys at Benfica Podcasts - Talking to the Doll have put out a new podcast and there is a whole section where they discuss this guy running for the leadership race.

http://talkingtothedoll.podbean.com/

They make some interesting points on both LFV and this new candidate. They reference that many of the promises that this new guy has made are items that LFV has committed to already. I do remember reading over the past month that LFV at on of his press conferences had stated that the team can no longer keep making big jumps into the transfer market and that they will leverage the B-team to grow talent. That to me is a great idea regardless of who is in charge.
Mdot

Postby slbquista » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks, I will listen to that! I listened to one of their episodes and likes it, and agreed with a fair amount of what they were saying but then forgot to listen to the last couple of episodes.

With them I can probably pick up the info on him and LFV so don't worry about the interview translation. :)
slbquista
Substitute

Postby inMotionSLB » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:06 pm

Shit forgot to submit the questions (focused on the game and totally forgot!!)

No worries anyway, there are like 300 questions and I'm sure it's all covered :)
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Mdot » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:02 pm

Lol all good. At least this topic got several of us more interested in the election. Looking forward to seeing if there is an momentum in the race or if LFV blows this guy away.
Mdot

Postby inMotionSLB » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:57 pm

This is what LFV came up with during the elections so far:

Free money to 'Casas do Benfica'
Super promotions in the megastore
Lower match ticket prices until January

Once he wins, you can bet your bottom dollar everything will return to the way it was and much worse. I can't take 4 more years of bullshit like Olivaisdesportos, embarrassing results, players who don't know what Benfica means and ill disciplined, laughing while the ref is knocked out in a friendly, dictatorship tv, behaving in a non-Benfica way by turning off the lights because of the embarrassment, crappy speeches before games, speeches against people who don't concern us, dodgy transfers where it is known how long a player will be staying, selling and buying like a wholesale cash and carry market, 9pm games and sucking up to sport tv, best friends with Braga president, a meaningful title every half decade, counting Eusébio Cup games as titles, sport benfica and buenos aires / sao paulo (whichever you prefer), using club money for personal reasons, using club stature for personal gain, lack of class, brainwashing fans with 'records', fielding non-Pt sides, porto overtaking us on titles won, changing the clubs statures to remain in power, and so forth...

This is what I will remember of his mandate. 4 more years and we will officially be the second club of Portugal.

:exactly

LFV has sócio number 5199(or something near to that) which means he was a member since 1965... BULLSHIT. He still is a member of Porto and Sporting since the 80s. He hasn't received his 25 years medal of being a Benfica sócio, meaning he can't run for his own elections, but still does!
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Forcaslb29 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:02 am

inMotionSLB wrote:This is what LFV came up with during the elections so far:

Free money to 'Casas do Benfica'
Super promotions in the megastore
Lower match ticket prices until January

Once he wins, you can bet your bottom dollar everything will return to the way it was and much worse. I can't take 4 more years of bullshit like Olivaisdesportos, embarrassing results, players who don't know what Benfica means and ill disciplined, laughing while the ref is knocked out in a friendly, dictatorship tv, behaving in a non-Benfica way by turning off the lights because of the embarrassment, crappy speeches before games, speeches against people who don't concern us, dodgy transfers where it is known how long a player will be staying, selling and buying like a wholesale cash and carry market, 9pm games and sucking up to sport tv, best friends with Braga president, a meaningful title every half decade, counting Eusébio Cup games as titles, sport benfica and buenos aires / sao paulo (whichever you prefer), using club money for personal reasons, using club stature for personal gain, lack of class, brainwashing fans with 'records', fielding non-Pt sides, porto overtaking us on titles won, changing the clubs statures to remain in power, and so forth...

This is what I will remember of his mandate. 4 more years and we will officially be the second club of Portugal.

:exactly

LFV has sócio number 5199(or something near to that) which means he was a member since 1965... BULLSHIT. He still is a member of Porto and Sporting since the 80s. He hasn't received his 25 years medal of being a Benfica sócio, meaning he can't run for his own elections, but still does!

well said brother...but he'll still win in a land slide unfortunately. funny timing about you mentioning Olivaisdesportos!
Forcaslb29
First Team

Postby slbquista » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:23 am

Just like to clear some thing up in my head - are Olivaidesportos what is commonly known as Sprort TV?
slbquista
Substitute

Postby inMotionSLB » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:23 pm

They are the head company of Sport TV
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby inMotionSLB » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Over 15k members have voted already.

Live stats are here: