BenficaTV

Latest on club politics, promotions, tickets, merchandise and non-sport related topics

Re: BenficaTV

Postby Ed Gomes » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:18 pm

Mdot, I too am excited about BTV's growth, as long as it's profitable. Hopefully they'll be able to expand internationally, through different outlets. Last time I checked only Dish Network carried it in the US.

In regards to your other statement, I'm not so sure. Although it would seem great for Benfica to hold the TV rights for clubs in Portugal (it already does for several), I'm not sure that's best for Portuguese futebol. You can't have a club holding teams and possibly league hostage. It could actually hamper growth within the league(s) itself.
Those same Tripeiros and Maca Podres will have to purchase BTV for the Premiership and now Serie A and Ligue 1.

The other concern is with actual profitability. Let's face it, BTV will have to expand abroad or it could be in trouble. Portugal is a small country and it's economy won't support an overextended entity.
For now I'm excited about the growth, but there's still a lot to review.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby inMotionSLB » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:56 pm

There's talks of a BTV3 channel to accommodate all these new leagues, which means it may go up in price too.

I have no idea how non-Benfica fans in Portugal can lead with this but touch luck on them! ahaha

Also, there is a reason why the club is going away from Benfica TV to BTV when publicising so not to turn potential subscribers away...
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Mdot » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:25 pm

A 3rd channel will make sense as long as there is enough people in Portugal willing to pay for this. At this point I'm not sure how many more people they can sign up domestically. As for BTV outside of Portugal, I don't think they can broadcast most of these other leagues.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:43 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V3boJAYzqI

Check this out! An excellent and very recent (this summer) documentary about the structure of the club on all levels. Lots of inside info about how the club works and lots of interviews with various people from the club, including some of the first interviews with Rui Vitoria as the new coach. A must watch for this off-season!
BC/SLB
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:48 pm

I hope this article is true because it seems we could be doubling the amount of income we make off our TV rights. Throw in our new kit sponsor and the club is really pulling away from the other teams in our liga. Now we just need to invest to keep these kids that we are developing.

I did a quick google translate for the non-Portuguese readers.

http://www.abola.pt/clubes/ver.aspx?t=3&id=585763

Eagles with proposal of € 400 million for the TV rights

The US submitted a proposal to Benfica € 400 million for the purchase of broadcasting rights of the games of the first team over the next ten years, according reported the TVI24. The offer, which includes 40 million euros per season, would that which could be the largest ever deal in Portuguese football in television terms. Luis Filipe Vieira announced in THE BALL TV in 2012, the end of the connection Olivedesportos and the refusal of a proposal by Joaquim Oliveira company of € 111 million by five seasons (€ 22.4 million / year). At the time 2013/14, Benfica began broadcasting the games in the first team in Benfica TV, which, however, evolved into an operator that transmits the English leagues, Italian and French. Benfica TV, according to Luis Filipe Vieira, already had revenues of € 30 million, but after depreciation costs, net income stood the first time in about € 17 million. On the other hand, at the end of this season, Benfica ends the contract to broadcast the matches of the Premier League.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:50 am

I believe the company that offered us the new deal was NOS.
Although this may be great news for the club, what will become of Benfica TV? Yes it could still broadcast Serie A and Lique 1. The EPL would seem like a must but that's going to be expensive.
I understand that the return on Benfica TV seems small at 17 million, but that's quite impressive with the outlay for the league broadcast rights.
Curious to see how the club will move forward.

The following shows the disparity between the clubs. It goes to explain the inferiority complex BdC carries with him;
Sporting
Em comunicado enviado à Comissão do Mercado de Valores Mobiliários (CMVM), a Sporting SAD apresentou o Relatório e Contas do primeiro trimestre da época 2015/16, documento que apresenta um resultado líquido positivo no valor de 74 mil euros. A SAD leonina teve assim uma significativa redução relativamente ao período homólogo do ano passado

Benfica
Em comunicado enviado à Comissão do Mercado de Valores Mobilários (CMVM), o Benfica apresentou as contas relativas ao primeiro trimestre da época 2015/16, relatório que apresenta um lucro de 12,23 milhões de euros face ao período homólogo.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby inMotionSLB » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Yes this deal has been confirmed.

The only issue I see is that we are not reponsible for the timings of our home matches now? dont want to see us playing in sundays at 21:15 all the time now...
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Mdot » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:59 pm

Sadly it'll be a case of prime time TV will have advertisers paying more and if NOS controls the time of matches, they will air them later. While the money is good, it's shit for attendance. In recent times with these earlier games we've had fuller stadiums which adds to the feel of the game. I hope they setup some limit on late games.

Negative aside. If this means an extra 20 million more of SLB per season, that to me means we can give just under a 2 million raise for all of our starting 11. Not saying we should do it for every player but for key players/youth products it could be difference of keeping them a few extra seasons and being able to setup higher buyout clauses.

Best part of Ed's comment is that difference between Sporting and Benfica is before this deal. We are the biggest club in the country and we need to flex this cash to setup the club for successful for the next few seasons.
Mdot

Postby Ed Gomes » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:17 am

Deal is a bit misleading. It's really a three year deal with the possibility of ten years.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:41 am

With the way media technology is changing so fast, I'm good with a 3 year over a 10 year. What if in 3 years most companies have moved to online streaming and there is more revenue to be made there for the club. I have no clue how many people pay for the online Benfica matches but with digital TV, I can see that growing as an option.
Mdot

Postby helderslb » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:11 pm

At first i thought 40M a year was a Big deal, but now i have my doubts, we get 40M but we have to pay for all the costs Benfica TV is giving us right? idk maybe 7-8M per year, so thats like 32M we get a year,
with Benfica TV we were probably getting close to those values soon!!! Guess will just have to wait till december 10 to get the full details!

Also i heard Benfica is making a Big Deal selling its stadium name, anyone have news about that?
helderslb
First Team

Postby Mdot » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:24 pm

Supposedly LFV said the extra funds will go towards a mix of debt and continued investment in our youth development programs/training complex. Hopefully that means we will feel less pressure to sell our top talent unless a club is paying the full buyout clause.

I've heard some rumors on the naming of the stadium. I'm mixed on this one but at the same time if the price is right it could give us even a bigger edge. For me I would like to see the figure above 25million + per season. That would ideally give us the ability to give a 2million raise to all of our starting 11 which will allow us to fight for more titles and improve our competitiveness in Europe.

For reference I heard that Arsenal and CIty are both above 40million per season for their naming rights which is why anything below 25million would feel like a rip off to me.

This extra TV money, new kit sponsor, and in a perfect world a fat amount of our stadium rights would give us no excuses in keeping guys longer and ideally go on to dominate our liga for sometime. Also with better talent, it would be great to be a regular in the knockout stages of the CL which will bring even more funds for our transferred players and euro cash.
Mdot

Postby helderslb » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:03 pm

well i heard the stadium naming will only earn about 5M a year, which i think is very little considering we are talking about Benfica!!
helderslb
First Team

Postby Mdot » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:44 pm

For 5million they can keep their cash and we can keep our stadium rights.
Mdot

Postby BC/SLB » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:07 pm

Under no cirumstances and not for all the money in the world would I ever want to see us sell out the name of our stadium. The home of SL Benfica is the Estadio Da Luz. Ponto final. Not only is our stadium one of the iconic stadiums of the world, but so is it's name. The Estadio da Luz is synonymous with our club's history, is world famous and that has to remain. Ponto final.
BC/SLB
Substitute

Previous

Return to Club News / Tickets / Memberships / Merch