BenficaTV

Latest on club politics, promotions, tickets, merchandise and non-sport related topics

Re: BenficaTV

Postby inMotionSLB » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:25 pm

Benfica TV got Premier League rights for the next 3 years, exclusive rights for Portugal...
http://www.planetbenfica.co.uk/news.php?extend.2043.6

What do you make of this?
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby slbquista » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:07 am

I saw that. It looks like an amazing piece of business by LFV to get us this.
I'm sure we're paying a pretty penny but I would think it will pay us back and more, and hopefully we can grind down Sport TV's monopoly of any thing sport related in Portugal!

Next up is get our own games, that would be nice but from a watching point of view I prefer TVI, RTP or SIC to get the games as there are terrestrial in Portugal so I can watch all our games with out streaming. :D
slbquista
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:54 pm

I agree it's amazing business and clearly makes BenficaTV look like the main footie channel in the country with SportTV falling behind. I think it's a great idea as it will send a clear message to Sport TV that our viewership will likely increase there encouraging them to pay more for our rights or if we keep them we could be bringing in more ad dollars via the channel since we would have both the EPL and our games on the channel.
Mdot

Postby inMotionSLB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:52 pm

Not sure if a new channel is going to be made for this as I dont really like the idea of Benfiquistas paying for a BENFICA channel just because of FOREIGN games.

Also, looks like we will contribute just a bit to fund an English side to take one of our players away.
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Mdot » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:56 pm

To me if they make more revenue then it costs to broadcast the games then its good. We make more money to make our club stronger which will allow higher buyouts, if the likes of the Chelsea want to pay the high buyouts we only get richer.

My only fear is that if BenficaTV starts broadcasting our games, I will have a harder time watching as we can only get SportTV in Canada.
Mdot

Postby MichaelSLB » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:33 am

IMO there should be two channels for Benfica TV... One that focuses mainly on Benfica games as well as the other many different sports and another channel that focuses a bit more on foreign footy matches such as the Premier League.
MichaelSLB
First Team

Postby Ed Gomes » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:38 pm

This is the best news for the growth of the club/organization.
Has much as having a TV Channel is great, it means nothing without programing. It's all about the content. Without it, there's no reason to watch.
The BPL is the most watched league in the world. They attract the biggest players, and have huge teams. Plain and simple.
I would like for Benfica TV to possibly get the Brazilian League as well. And La Liga, etc...

Keep in mind that BenficaTV is for us to sell our games abroad. In the US, sadly, only DishNetwork provides BenficaTV. Hopefully they will be able to broaden that reach.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby Benfiquista » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:02 pm

Woke up to a nice little message from DishNetwork saying Benfica TV decided to cease its operations in the United States, because the channel no longer has the rights to SL Benfica sports matches.

BS IMO. I have a feeling it all has to do with the stupid Premier League rights :down :steam
Benfiquista

Postby inMotionSLB » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:01 pm

That's just wrong, so no Benfica TV in the US anymore??
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby Benfiquista » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:35 pm

Well surprisingly I woke up today with the channel back on! Maybe they had a change of heart lol
Benfiquista

Postby Ed Gomes » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:44 pm

Dish Network is awful. I would love it if Direct TV or FIOS carried BenficaTV.
By the way, Google will eventually make cable networks obsolete. Curious how that will play in the TV/Internet market.
Ed Gomes
Substitute

Postby inMotionSLB » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:31 pm

Benfica TV is now a subscription only channel and will show the below 'programs' exclusively in Portugal

how about you guys who have this at home? do you start paying for it now or it has disappeared?
Бенфика
inMotionSLB
Site Admin

Postby slbquista » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:52 am

So if I've got it right I would now need to have Zon or PT channels then I would also then have to subscribe to Benfica TV?

Also read some where we are broadcasting all home games for our football team?

Either way it means I'm still going to have to watch most of our games online even though I live in Portugal as it will be a rare occurence for terestrial tv channels to get our games I think.
slbquista
Substitute

Postby Mdot » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:15 pm

I've been a bit confused myself. In North America we get access to games via Sport TV Americas. I haven't booked in a subscription at my new place until I figure out if they will have all the matches. I like that our club is taking more control of their rights as long term this could have a massive financial impact on the club however I expect this traditional period to create a bit of confusion and it won't shock me if some markets are unable to get access to the games.

Since they own their rights it would be sweet if they just put a HD link on the main site and allowed us to sign up (At a cost I would assume), this way no matter where you are in the world you have access to our matches.
Mdot

Postby Mdot » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:23 pm

So BenficaTV has signed up both the Italian and French Leagues. While I like hearing that our channel is headed towards being the number sports channel in the country.

The point of the channel is to increase club revenue and provide better services to our fans. I hope they are being smart about these contracts. As long as the dollars coming in from advertisements and new subscriptions are paying and adding extra dollars to the club I'll be happy.

Personally I would like to see the club sign up a bunch of small Portuguese liga club's rights so that we start taking control of our liga's broadcasting. It would force some of the Sporting and Porto fans to sign up for our channel and over time less people will buy into SportTV leaving less revenue to give to Sporting and Porto for their contracts.
Mdot

PreviousNext

Return to Club News / Tickets / Memberships / Merch